Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Starting a new HOF high end run - or two

I have finished my run of Mantle cards from the 50’s that are fairly nice and centered, and I may or may not do the 60’s for Mantle although I am about halfway done with the 60’s. Might start looking to do high end Mantle mini run from 1956, 57, and 58 in PSA 8.5’s or high end 8’s centered. Here is where I am at to date on this run.

Just picked up a few nice Ryan cards to add to my run, and probably looking to do a run from 1968(rookie) through 1980 in PSA 8.5/9. Here are a few recent pickups, so need to knock out 1971-1973 and 1977-1979. Nice thing about this run is it is a whole lot cheaper than doing the Mantle's :D Thank you for looking.

KC

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Keith

Did you recently pick up all those Ryans? You said a few. Which?

Best of luck on your run - a very nice run of Mantles - so far buddy.

Mike
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keith...

Good choices on player runs. Nolan Ryan was my 2nd favorite player...behind Pete Rose. Do you own any Pete Rose cards?

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful cards, I’m curious why no Bowman Mantles!

• Options

Nice, but C'mon bro- take that PC sticker off, we all know its perfectly centered. :)

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options

Beautiful run of cards! Thanks for sharing and letting the quality of your cards speak for themselves! I will enjoy watching your progress on the high end runs too.

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice run of of cards KC. Look forward to following your progress on both the Mantle and Ryan runs.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    Hiya Keith

Did you recently pick up all those Ryans? You said a few. Which?

Best of luck on your run - a very nice run of Mantles - so far buddy.

Mike - good to hear from you, and the 74 Ryan is recent and the others I have owned a while.

Monte - I have several Rose cards, and just picked this one up at the Natty - been trying to find a nice 71 Rose, Bench, Reggie, and Clemente.

Perk - I never collected Bowman cards, but did pick up a nice 51 Mantle from PWCC about 2 years ago that was incredibly nice, and would have kept it but a collector in NYC made me an offer that I could not refuse - it was so far above VCP I decided to sell it. (See below)

JB - truth be told I am a huge Bench fan and he was my baseball idol growing up. Did a raw run years ago when I was in HS and college, and that is the other run I am doing along with Ryan. Plan is do both in PSA 8.5/9 and I have a good start on Bench - bunch of 8.5’s and 9’s already in my collection and duplicates.

Thanks for the comments guys.

KC

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comment every time you post your ‘71 Rose. Really nice example.

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice run on the Mantles. I have to say that 1980 Nolan Ryan is a fantastic card, it truly brings me back to when I was a kid. Thanks for sharing.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a gorgeous 51 Bowman Mantle, I can see why a collector offered you a nice deal for it. I love the 52-56 Topps run but I think the early Bowman’s are hands down the most beautiful cards in the hobby.

• Options

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. Just got back in town and will post my updated Bench run in the next day or two.

KC

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking run of Mantles and some nice Ryan's also. :+1::+1:

Nice Rose and Bench also.:+1::+1:

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭

Beautiful centering on those Mantles!!!

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Superb cards with terrific eye appeal. Very nice!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Thanks Tim.

Here is a photo of my Bench run which I have done before when I was in HS, and this one I plan to do in PSA 9 and higher - 1971 might be a tough one. Should be able to knock most of it out quickly, and thinking of doing a 1970’s run of racks with Bench showing on the front - that would a challenge and fun at the same time.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keith...

Wow! If you can do a 70s rack run w/Bench on top...that would be a cool set! And desirable...

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    This splendid Mantle run talk has me thinking of the missing '54 and '55 Topps Mantle issues .... that might be a good thread topic .... player cards missing that may have lit the collecting world on fire. How about Stan Musial's entire missing Topps run pre- 1958? What could have been.

Thanks to Sports Illustrated, there is a ‘1954 Topps Card’, it is just not ‘official’ - it follows their typical format - just black and white...

...I’ve always wondered why it’s not just a bit more sought after.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did quite well with your choices. I see the Mini-Bench is missing whereas you added the Ryan mini. Do you plan on adding the mini Bench?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    You did quite well with your choices. I see the Mini-Bench is missing whereas you added the Ryan mini. Do you plan on adding the mini Bench?

Absolutely. I think I have one already and just not photographed. Bench run is much easier (and MUCH cheaper) than Mantle run. Plus I grew up watching Bench as my favorite player which makes it fun.

I enjoy the Mantle cards and did not collect him for a long time, and collected Ted Williams and had a ton of PSA 8 and higher - at one point in the late 90’s I had (3) each of 1954 and 1955 all in PSA 8 when the pop was 21 for each. IMO Williams was a man’s man who was arguably the greatest hitter that ever lived, plays the final day of the season rather than sit out to preserve his .400 average, and was such a great fighter pilot that he was John Glenn’s wingman. Plus he left MLB to serve not once but twice (WW2 and Korea) . It is such a shame his kids turned his head into a popsicle.

KC