Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Contemporary counterfeit Bolivia 4 soles 1854 PTS MF

Slight break from the common Mexican and Spanish colonial fare :) Weight ~10.7 grams compared to reference of 13.5, material unknown, but probably some form of copper-nickel. Magnetic slide confirms that it's not silver and also non-ferrous. The design is pretty well rendered and at first glance it didn't seem suspicious. The very wonky date and denomination numerals led to closer inspection though. Noted differences include the font, particularly the C's and a couple of the I's looking bent. Also the last three letters in BOLIVIANA are shorter than the rest.
The edge has what appears to be an attempt at the word AYACUCHO, but only AYA is legible. The letters are cut into the crude reeding rather than punched on top of it like on a genuine coin.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could never tell .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

@bidask said:
    I could never tell .

The counterfeiters that made this would be happy to hear that if they were alive :)

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone really needs to write a die variety book on this series!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

@MrEureka said:
    Someone really needs to write a die variety book on this series!

Much luck and support for anyone taking up that uphill battle :)