Home Sports Talk
Options

Have you ever read all of the HOF Plaques at the Baseball Hall of Fame?

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

During our last visit I started to, but did not complete the effort. Some of the info. was of real interest, along with the names/nicknames of the old timers. The old timers had some real unusual/unique, names/nicknames for sure, unlike today's players, IMO. Upon our next visit I may complete the effort of reading the rest of the plaques.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Make sure that you get to Ernie Harwell.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, but the only time I was in Coopertown I did read one plaque in particular. Was there on vacation in 1997 and the plaque for Richie Ashburn had a black sort of wreath on it, as he had died earlier that morning. As a Phillies fan, I was stunned at the news and sad.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ernie11 said:
    No, but the only time I was in Coopertown I did read one plaque in particular. Was there on vacation in 1997 and the plaque for Richie Ashburn had a black sort of wreath on it, as he had died earlier that morning. As a Phillies fan, I was stunned at the news and sad.

That was so sad. Ashburn was only 70 years old when he passed.

Very nice of the HOF to place the wreath on his plaque.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't believe it has been 5 years since I visited the Coop. Some plaqueness for your viewing pleasure.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

No Larkin ?!?!?!?

• Options

Nice post with the plaques. Thanks for that. Notice the misspelling on the Ty Cobb plaque. The word "equalled" does not need the second "l". Corrected, it's "equaled".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

I'm just a bit surprised that nothing is mentioned on the Honus Wagner plaque about his famous baseball card. ;)

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Nice post with the plaques. Thanks for that. Notice the misspelling on the Ty Cobb plaque. The word "equalled" does not need the second "l". Corrected, it's "equaled".

Both spellings are correct. Both the Oxford and Cambridge dictionaries recognize both spellings.

• Options

Interesting about Clemente's name that I did not know:

Pasted:

While Clemente amassed a mountain of impressive statistics during his career, he was often mocked by the print media in the United States for his heavy Spanish accent. Clemente was also subjected to the double discrimination of being a foreigner and being black in a racially segregated society. Although the media tried to call him “Bob” or “Bobby” and many of his baseball cards use “Bob,” Clemente explicitly rejected those nicknames, stating in no uncertain terms that his name was Roberto. There was also confusion over the correct form of his surname. For 27 years the plaque at the National Baseball Hall of Fame read “Roberto Walker Clemente,” mistakenly placing his mother’s maiden name before his father’s surname. Only in 2000 was it changed to its proper Latin American form, Roberto Clemente Walker.

• Options

I'm glad I brought up this subject matter. We all learned something new, which is always a positive. Thanks for everyone's interest and comments. P.S. I had utilized the Oxford American Dictionary.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ernie11 said:

Yes, I was really bummed out when Richie Ashburn passed. As a sports announcer, I found his approach refreshingly honest.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice thread here. For anyone who hasn't been to the HOF and is considering going, I recommend going in the winter - you have so much more room to spread out, take your time and enjoy everything.

Daniel