Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

And #3

This one was not under $100 :neutral: But 10% ebay bucks rolled around at the right time

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

what a beauty!

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, I like it !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

Depending how much the ebay bucks helped, you might have paid a little high for this coin. Rhodian didrachmai aren't particularly rare as a type, so there's many to choose from at any given time. While it's good that you're taking advantage of the added protection of certification while you're learning, slabbing is still a relatively new trend among ancient collectors. With only a minority of ancient coins being slabbed, I think those that already are sometimes have a "slab premium" tacked on to what the underlying coin would sell for raw. I suppose this might just reflect a broader audience being willing to spend more freely with the grading company's blessing attached.

Still, this coin makes a good choice for an affordable example of the 3/4 facing portrait style that really highlights the talent of the ancient engravers (Drachmai of Larissa, Thessaly, are good affordable examples, too). This is a nice example of an iconic design that was well known in the Eastern Mediterranean in its day. Have fun as you continue to dabble, and post away as new questions, and purchases come up. If you find a particular area of ancients you want to pursue seriously, I second the earlier recommendation to check out the works of David Sear.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gosh, how could something that old be so clean and shiny? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall