Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Here's my 2nd ancient pick up

Wanted something raw to really get the feel for it. I know its an off center strike but something about that made it cool.

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great strike!

• Options

Cool! Parthian coins probably aren't as popular as Greek and Roman issues, but that usually means less competition, and more affordable prices for the collector willing to venture outside the heartland of Classical numismatics. This coin is a descendant of the coinage tradition that Alexander the Great brought to the Middle East during his conquests, and continued in use as his empire splintered into various successor kingdoms. Modern Middle Eastern currencies denominated in Dirham are linguistically descended from these ancient drachms.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Move forward slowly and cautiously when buying ancients. If you are paying retail you are probably burying yourself. Markups in the field tend to be very high ... at least that was my experience when I last collected them in the early 2000s.

I'm not crazy about either of your first two purchases. If offered to me back when I was active in the field I would have passed on both. The Volusian coin seems to be struck from heavily worn dies and the off center strike on the Parthian coin will probably make them difficult to sell when the time comes.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    sarikanairsarikanair Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

Yes, that’s true. Some coins look stunning even though they are struck off the flank. This Drachm also features a crisp and deep strike... Cheers!

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think my 3rd coin might be mmore popular. I paid for it though. These 2 were uner $100 each

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be especially wary when buying ancients that cost "under $100 each". Many of these are actually very common and carry the biggest mark-ups of all. When it comes time to sell you may have trouble finding a buyer at anything close to what you paid. The amount lost on those "under $100 each" coins can mount up quickly.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get it out of that flip and into something inert.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

For under $100 I think you did great!
    Nice sharp Parthian.
    The seated archer looks to be yelling at his enemy.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

nice look to it!

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is hard to resist the power of the Dark Side!

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool, I like it !!! B)

Timbuk3