Home Sports Talk
Options

Let's just change the rule on sacks.......

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not allowed...….if you get to the QB before he throws the ball you have to just stand there and let him throw!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Mike Daniels essentially did just that earlier in the GB / Vikes game. Didn't hit the QB when he could. He said later he stopped because of the rule change. Cousins was able to scramble for a few yards.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

a couple of flags attached to the quarterback's belt. That's next.

• Options

@Barndog said:
    a couple of flags attached to the quarterback's belt. That's next.

Is that a belt with matching shoes and purse?

• Options

Yet another horrendous roughing the passer call against GB!!!! This is a serious problem they need to fix....NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quarterbacks are getting to play flag football.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

It's a bunch of BS!!

• Options

Here's a thought. Maybe we can have a two hand touch rule for quarterbacks. That will cut down on the injuries, but on the other side, the QBs won't be allowed to break any tackles. They will be down as soon as they are touched.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

It just needs to go back to the way it was! This landing on the QB BS is a bunch of CRAP!!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Green Bay got screwed by that Clay Mathews sack, they didn’t call anything on the Rodgers sack which was worse if you ask me

• Options

Roughing the passer used to be a rare call. Now it’s a game changer. They do need to protect the quarterbacks to a point, but it has gotten ridiculous.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    Roughing the passer used to be a rare call. Now it’s a game changer. They do need to protect the quarterbacks to a point, but it has gotten ridiculous.

These bad calls are literally costing teams games!!

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    It just needs to go back to the way it was! This landing on the QB BS is a bunch of CRAP!!

The game is gone, gentlemen.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

I liked Aikman's response in the booth, "I don't even want to talk about it. It's ridiculous." LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

It really is ruining the game.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@DIMEMAN said:

The game is gone, gentlemen.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that you are correct.

The NFL owners are not going to go back on a safety issue.

• Options

These bad calls are getting attention everywhere and hopefully will be addressed. It's INSANE!

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

when golf hit a commercial break today i flipped to the games. i witnessed more than one roughing the passer penalty that honestly makes me question why i watch these games. they have officially made a mockery of the sport with the way it's being called now. i literally could not believe my eyes.

on multiple occasions i have said that the league is going to be defunct in a quarter century. i'm sticking with it. but let's say i'm wrong and it somehow manages to struggle forward. can you only imagine what the game is going to look like 25 years from now? i shudder at the thought.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

it will be fantasy football come to life. recievers with bionic arms , robot qb's , betting windows right at the stadium

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    it will be fantasy football come to life. recievers with bionic arms , robot qb's , betting windows right at the stadium

You'll hear at the betting window, "I'll take a $2 exacta box for most yards in the game with players....."

• Options

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

You'll hear at the betting window, "I'll take a $2 exacta box for most yards in the game with players....."

sorry i didn't finish my analogy . I meant that the rules would change to fantasy rules in the actual game too. You would be betting on individual players stats and not even caring which team won. Just if your RB got so many fantasy points blah blah screw the team who cares

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

My football watching time has decreased each of the last three years. Sadly, I used to enjoy it thoroughly

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eh I still watch it, I refuse to not enjoy what I like because of stupidity. I don’t bet so it doesn’t bother me that the NFL makes fools of themselves

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

sorry i didn't finish my analogy . I meant that the rules would change to fantasy rules in the actual game too. You would be betting on individual players stats and not even caring which team won. Just if your RB got so many fantasy points blah blah screw the team who cares

Oh I completely agree with ya.

The bookies will throw all sorts of "crazy" propositions out there, but they'll likely do it pari-mutuel style, so that you won't be betting against them, you'll be betting against the other gamblers, with the books taking a cut from each bet.

The books could offer a prop bet, say an over/under on Zeke rushing for 25 yards in the 4th quarter. Just like a horse racing pari-mutuel, the bettors would decide the odds. Just off the cuff, I would imagine during a Cowboys game they would get a lot of action on a prop such as this.

They might even allow a bettor to put their own props out there, and if anyone responds, then it's an official bet with the books taking their cut.

It will be sports betting addict's paradise.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

new rules with a bunch of new refs this year, not a good combination

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Personally, I think the removal of the defense being allowed to play defense has more to do with NFL losing popularity than anything else. Basically if you hit the QB hard it is a roughing the passer penalty.

I believe they added/started enforcing the rule to try and prevent QBs from getting sprained shoulders or broken collarbones when getting driven into the ground. I am not sure what a defensive player is supposed to do at this point. With over emphasis on protecting QBs and the helmet rule football as most of us know it will soon disappear.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    Personally, I think the removal of the defense being allowed to play defense has more to do with NFL losing popularity than anything else. Basically if you hit the QB hard it is a roughing the passer penalty.

I believe they added/started enforcing the rule to try and prevent QBs from getting sprained shoulders or broken collarbones when getting driven into the ground. I am not sure what a defensive player is supposed to do at this point. With over emphasis on protecting QBs and the helmet rule football as most of us know it will soon disappear.

Robb

The problem is , you and people like you are not spending enough money for the NFL to notice. Go buy 100 season tickets :D

It seems to happen a lot , things that are doing great destroy themselves from within. Sports , actors , politicians , entire countries . To paraphrase some econo-babble , the cure for success is success. Even individual people I know , that are in position to have the world by the balls cut their own throats and fade away.

The human condition is to strive for a goal , too bad no one knows what to do when they get there. :D

• Options
    edited September 24, 2018 11:37AM

wrong thread

here, i'll contribute anyway.........the NFL sucks

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

The rule that Matthews got flagged under yesterday is not new. It's been in place since 1995. It's a point of emphasis this year and is being enforced more but it's not actually new.

I had no problem with the calls the last two weeks on Matthews. Opening week, he was clearly late. Last week, he clearly grabbed the QB's leg, picked him up, and slammed him down. That's been illegal for decades. Yesterday's hit, while technically illegal, I have a problem with the call. There's not much the defender can do there short of not actually tackling the QB. That's terrible.

If you're going to over-protect QBs on hits then I want the following changes:

1) Bring back "in the grasp" sacks. Since defenders can't be rough, don't give QBs the chance to escape.

2) Get rid of the exceptions to the intentional grounding rules. Throwing the ball into the ground right next to a receiver should be a penalty. Throwing the ball away outside the pocket should be a penalty. If the defense can't tackle you hard, you should have to stand in there and actually try to complete a pass.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

The problem is , you and people like you are not spending enough money for the NFL to notice. Go buy 100 season tickets :D

It seems to happen a lot , things that are doing great destroy themselves from within. Sports , actors , politicians , entire countries . To paraphrase some econo-babble , the cure for success is success. Even individual people I know , that are in position to have the world by the balls cut their own throats and fade away.

The human condition is to strive for a goal , too bad no one knows what to do when they get there. :D

Bronc...did you spend the weekend at a Shakespeare festival?

• Options

@Tabe said:
    The rule that Matthews got flagged under yesterday is not new. It's been in place since 1995. It's a point of emphasis this year and is being enforced more but it's not actually new.

I had no problem with the calls the last two weeks on Matthews. Opening week, he was clearly late. Last week, he clearly grabbed the QB's leg, picked him up, and slammed him down. That's been illegal for decades. Yesterday's hit, while technically illegal, I have a problem with the call. There's not much the defender can do there short of not actually tackling the QB. That's terrible.

If you're going to over-protect QBs on hits then I want the following changes:

1) Bring back "in the grasp" sacks. Since defenders can't be rough, don't give QBs the chance to escape.

2) Get rid of the exceptions to the intentional grounding rules. Throwing the ball into the ground right next to a receiver should be a penalty. Throwing the ball away outside the pocket should be a penalty. If the defense can't tackle you hard, you should have to stand in there and actually try to complete a pass.

All I can say about the 3 calls on Matthews is......BS....BS....BS!! None were fouls or ever have been!

• Options

weren't there 2 questionable ones in the dallas game?

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

I didn't get to see that game so I can't say. But our pass rusher was hit with one that I have heard was bogus.

• Options

I just saw yet another bogus ruffing the QB call against the Steelers. They need to fix this now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

Yet another one!!!!!

• Options
    edited September 24, 2018 6:53PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

I didn't get to see that game so I can't say. But our pass rusher was hit with one that I have heard was bogus.

here it is. the moment i saw this live and a flag went into the air, i turned it back to golf. it was absolutely atrocious. sacking a guy like Russell Wilson is difficult enough, but now when you're fortunate enough to get to him, you're supposed to make sure your body weight doesn't land on him. makes no difference whatsoever how clean the hit is. in essence there is no more tackling. you're supposed to somehow get to him, grab him, and kinda wrestle him to the ground. then you pick him up, dust him off, and give him a hug.

https://12up.com/posts/6178930-video-roughing-the-passer-clearly-meaningless-after-cowboys-got-flagged-for-this-hit

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

here it is. the moment i saw this live and a flag went into the air, i turned it back to golf. it was absolutely atrocious. tackling a guy like Russell Wilson is difficult enough, but now when you're fortunate enough to get to him, you're supposed to make sure your body weight doesn't land on him. makes no difference whatsoever how clean the hit is. in essence there is no more tackling. you're supposed to somehow get to him, grab him, and kinda wrestle him to the ground. then you pick him up, dust him off, and give him a hug.

https://12up.com/posts/6178930-video-roughing-the-passer-clearly-meaningless-after-cowboys-got-flagged-for-this-hit

That indeed was a bogus call!!!

• Options

I don't disagree with any of the comments. However, better get used to it because this new officiating isn't going to be rolled back.

The owners get to better safeguard their key player, plus the bit more extra time the QB now has should result in more scoring and in theory more fan interest..

A win-win for the owners, and they are not going to part with something like that.

If certain defensive players cannot adapt themselves to the new game rules, costing their team too much in harsh penalties, then these players are going to get cut. It's as simple as that.

• Options

They have to change this back...…..it's HORRENDOUS!!!!!!

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

All I can say about the 3 calls on Matthews is......BS....BS....BS!! None were fouls or ever have been!

Well, Clay himself disagrees with you on the first one. He admitted it was late and deserved a flag.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Well, Clay himself disagrees with you on the first one. He admitted it was late and deserved a flag.

It looked like he had already left his feet to me. Would have been a no call to me on the first one.

• Options

@1970s said:
    I like my eggs scrambled, and I prefer sausage over bacon, my toast needs to be dark, not light, and orange juice will kill my stomach, so I prefer decaf coffee. Some hash browns with ketchup would be the icing on the cake.

would you like for me to bring you some milk for your honey smacks?

• Options
    edited September 28, 2018 4:17AM

Coffee tore up my guts in college. Of course it was 6 or 7 cups during an all niter before a test.

:(