Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1898 Canada 10c Heritage

Was anyone following the 1898 Canada 10c (PCGS 64) which sold for $3100 at Heritage yesterday? I was wondering why it went for so much. Was it a rare die variety? I wasn't interested as it was weakly stuck in part of the legend, and especially at bottom of the crown.

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2018 8:53AM

Image? Perhaps it was a high grade for one of the obverse designs.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

It's not rocket science to search on ha.com... Linky.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brg5658 said:

@Insider2 said:

It's not rocket science to search on ha.com... Linky.

Thanks. It is "rocket science" to someone as me who is ignorant concerning most things connected to a computer. I don't even remember how to look up a True View! LOL.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, ms64 shiny bright, rev looks the best. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it an Obv #5?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

@ajaan said:
    Is it an Obv #5?

Sure is, and a beauty for the grade too. Final bid price not surprising at all.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options

@WorldCoinsDmitry said:

@ajaan said:
    Is it an Obv #5?

Sure is, and a beauty for the grade too. Final bid price not surprising at all.

That explains the price.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

am very surprised at the price they got. is that including juice?
    Perhaps 2 or 3 bidders each wanted it.
    IMO, it is overpriced.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

@YQQ said:
    am very surprised at the price they got. is that including juice?
    Perhaps 2 or 3 bidders each wanted it.
    IMO, it is overpriced.

Yes that includes buyer premium, but why do you think it's overpriced? Canadian price guide lists at USD equivalent of $2,300 in MS63 and no prices listed for higher grades. Plus it has full luster and you hardly ever see examples like this on the international market. Would be overpriced for obv 6, but this one is much scarcer and price seems fair.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options

Dmitry,
    Good point. However, trends list a 1898 , obv 5, 10 cent in MS 63 at CAN $ 2400 = approx USD 1700
    The prices at HA are US $ which takes it around CAD 4000, a huge difference.
    am I missing something here?

• Options
    WorldCoinsDmitryWorldCoinsDmitry Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2018 7:41PM

@YQQ said:

Dmitry,
    Good point. However, trends list a 1898 , obv 5, 10 cent in MS 63 at CAN $ 2400 = approx USD 1700
    The prices at HA are US $ which takes it around CAD 4000, a huge difference.
    am I missing something here?

I was looking at the coinsandcanada site, their price guide lists for CAD 2990, or USD ~2300 in MS63 (2400 CAD is currently about $1850 USD). Don't you just love price guides and their constant inconsistencies :neutral:

• Options

coinsandcanada.com is actual sale prices of coins (eBay). This is a lot better than any 'price guide'.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

ajaan
    CnC is a great and well respected and well used publication. I use it myself.
    However, their prices are way "out to lunch" and do not reflect reality.
    granted, There are always exceptions when a super sale occurs.
    But otherwise, use with caution.

• Options

YQQ, coinsandcanada.com have actual auction prices for certified coins. No hype, no 'out to lunch', actual auction prices. No better site for finding the value of Canadian coins.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don