Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Museum fire in Brazil

News flash! Huge fire at the National Museum of Brazil, everything destroyed except meteorites, wonder what coins and historic documents on numismatics have been lost? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Comments

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering that myself. I find the entire story sad on many levels. The volume of cultural history lost in the fire is staggering. i imagine that it will take some time to fully understand the impact and loss.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2018 1:23PM

Jewish scholars were concerned about a set of very old Torah writings/fragments in the Museum that the Royal family had purchased and brought to Brazil about two centuries ago.

They lucked out on that one. It seems the Museum had transferred the items in question to another separate Library about two years ago and simply hadn't notified the scholarly community of that fact. The other Library was quickly scheduled to show these items to interested scholars this week as evidence were they still extant.

May there be more good luck along this lines.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't look good, a large meteor is the only item that survived the fire. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

You can't discount the possibility that it was arson meant to cover thefts. Bad for Brazil, but certain items might survive.

It seems that Pedro II was born in this former royal palace in 1825, so parts of the building were very old.

• Options

Oh yeah Brazil is very dysfunctional. There was no water in the hydrant system. Could be a huge crime of burglary and arson coverup. Not good. Peace Roy

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any idea how it got started ? I know our local news here in Hawaii mentioned a feather cloak and headdress that was given to the Brazilian leader by Liholiho (King Kamehameha II) in the early 1800's may have been destroyed !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • Options

Oh yeah! There is an image of it. Beautiful bright yellow plumage large regal cloak. Gone. Peace Roy

• Options
    edited September 7, 2018 5:33PM

Linky (includes several photos, including a photo of the fire):

http://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/post/royal-hawaiian-feather-cloak-feared-lost-brazil-museum-fire

The statue seems to be Pedro II, who issued many nice coins during his very long reign.

• Options

This one really hurts :'(

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    edited September 7, 2018 7:21PM

In Imperial times, this place (now burnt) was called 'The Palace of Saint Christopher'.

I own one of these, but this one is not mine. Recent Chinese counterfeits do exist. I've had mine since 1982, probably need to get it slabbed.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m told that the nation’s major numismatic collections are in other museums. Still, a sad reminder that even our coins will not last forever.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

I visited the southern part of Brazil for a full month about 25 years ago. Nice trip. Some of my hosts knew that I was a coin person. They all, to a man, said that their provincial and local museums did have coin collections in the past, but that some trusted employee and even a revered priest had stolen the best gold and silver coins and then vamoosed. I did see some small museums, but they were finding it difficult to function in the constantly inflationary environment and some were only open by appointment.

Brazil is dysfunctional.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2018 9:07AM

Very interesting, informative, and sad information.

My wife is Brazilian. She lived in the south of Brazil until she was 17. My mother in law moved from Brazil to live with us a decade ago. They are both very sad about this event.
    I talked to my wife about the hopeful possibility, as mentioned by another poster, that some of the items may resurface because they were actually stolen and the arson is a cover-up. She agreed that in Brazil this is possible.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the article(s) I read on the fire, it was due to the decrepit condition of the building. Many of the curators, workers and even politicians were trying to raise money to remodel the building. Exhibits were being shut down due to rotten floors, mold infested collections and there were reports of many "exposed wires". So while I wouldn't rule out arson to cover up theft and other corrupt acts that Brazil is know for, I think this was most likely due to the building itself being dangerous:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brazil-fire-museum/tensions-flare-after-fire-destroys-brazil-museum-in-tragedy-foretold-idUSKCN1LJ00L

From the article above:

"Brazil’s culture minister Sergio Leitao told the Estado de S.Paulo newspaper the blaze was likely caused by either an electrical short-circuit or a homemade paper hot-air balloon that may have landed on the roof. Launching such balloons is a long-held tradition in Brazil and they routinely cause fires.

“This was a tragedy foretold,” Cabral said, hugging distraught students and coworkers who poured into the site on Monday. “Successive governments would not provide funds, they would not invest in infrastructure.”

Between 2013 and 2017, the National Museum in Rio’s federal funding fell about a third, to 643,567 reais, according to official budget data. The funding cuts were particularly acute this year, with the museum receiving just 98,115 reais between January and August.

Late last year, after a termite attack shuttered a room hosting the bones of the Maxakalisaurus dinosaur, the National Museum was forced to turn to a crowdfunding site to seek funds for reopening the exhibit. "

• Options

So much corruption, political impropriety in such a large country. I am still amazed that the Olympic venue was allowed to self destruct. Peace Roy

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sad and disturbing on so many levels.

The pictures of the entire building ablaze were tough to see. Now, the "good news" is that maybe the fire was set to cover-up theft of valuable objects which might therefore have survived. :o:s

The fact that such a cynical and disturbing scenario is plausible due to Brazil's corruption is in itself disturbing.

Let's "hope" all the best stuff was indeed stolen. :#

I wonder how many other museums worldwide are in a similar condition and environment.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Brazilian "Smithsonian" lost.
    Tragic.