Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Most #1 Registry Sets - A New Way to Compete

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 7, 2019 3:55PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was just looking over the 2018 Registry Set awards and noticed that Dell Loy Hansen has 8 top sets.

For the mega collectors out there, is comparing the number of top sets an interesting way to compete?

What other collectors have many top sets?

Here are Hansen's top sets:

• U.S. Coins Complete Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1792-present)
  • Barber Dimes with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes and Proof (1892-1916)
  • Mercury Dimes FB with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes and Proof (1916-1945)
  • Barber Half Dollars Basic Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (1892-1915)
  • Morgan Dollars Basic Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (1878-1921)
  • Jefferson Nickels with Major Varieties, Proof (1938-present)
  • Three Cent Silvers with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes and Proof (1851-1872)
  • Eisenhower Dollars Basic Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (1971-1978)

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/awards/2018

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only if your ego demands it. How can you equate #1 ike set though #1 u.s. type?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2018 2:50PM

PCGS made them all sets so there is that. A simple way to compare would be the number of times someone appears on the awards page:

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/awards/2018

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2018 6:01PM

Zoins said:
    "For the mega collectors out there, is comparing the number of top sets an interesting way to compete?"

I am not a "mega collector" and most would not ever refer to themselves in that way because it is really a hubristic term, but the short answer is NO!

Here is the long answer:

I collect a lot of modern coins which are so different from the sets you refer to above, it is mind-boggling. One coin in some of his sets are worth enough to probably buy every single modern coin in top condition and have money left over.

Say someone has all the modern commemoratives for example. That is a set. But PCGS breaks it down into literally dozens of sub sets. Olympics, Civil War, Veterans, Baseball and so on, plus they separate proof sets and uncirculated sets, and half dollar, dollar, $5, and $10 gold sub sets. They even have gold sets combined with silver, or gold sets with platinum combinations, and also each one has duplicate sets that are First Strike only or combinations.

There are actually hundreds of modern sets. I removed about 50 of them I had a few months ago, because I wanted others to get a chance at having a top set, because many people can't afford large sets, and they get enjoyment working on some of the sub sets they are interested in a lot. I don't even start or publish many modern sub sets at all now for that reason, to stay out of the way.

Also it is not a competition. I use the registry mostly because it keeps track of my purchases, my sales, helps me find coins I do not have, and helps me keep things organized. Yes, I do get a bit of a challenge and enjoyment from some small competition, to try to hunt down a better coin and move up in rankings, but that is just for my own personal satisfaction of completing the hunt, which I enjoy.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had no idea there was that much competition... I am not a registry set participant...I wonder if there is a 'hodge podge' set registry?? :D:D;) I will look into it....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    brianc1959brianc1959 Posts: 342 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I had no idea there was that much competition... I am not a registry set participant...I wonder if there is a 'hodge podge' set registry?? :D:D;) I will look into it....Cheers, RickO

Interesting idea. There must be some way of coming up with an algorithm to measure the degree of "hodge podginess" in a set of, say, 20, 50, or 100 coins. All dates and mintmarks in a row for a single series would get the lowest grade, while the most eclectic and unrelated assemblage would get the highest. Numerical grades should fluctuate wildly and randomly as well, from 1 to 70.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file