Home Sports Talk
Options

Dunkin' Donuts mistakenly serves 'Eagles World Champions' cups in New England

stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/dunkin-donuts-mistakenly-serves-eagles-world-champions-cups-new-england-175240099.html

Dunkin' Donuts mistakenly serves 'Eagles World Champions' cups in New England

Even with a new NFL season just days away from kicking off, the wounds from Super Bowl LII are still very fresh for New England Patriots fans.

No one will feel sorry for the perennial contenders outside of Massachusetts, of course, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be able to mourn their loss in peace at home.

Now, imagine being a Patriots fan waking up one weekday morning, your team in final preparations for Sunday’s big matchup against the Houston Texans to kick off Week 1, you go get your morning coffee from your favorite New England-based chain and right when you go to take that first refreshing sip, a giant Eagles logo is staring right back at you, boasting about its status as World Champion.

I apologize in advance. i know it's a fluff thread, but I just couldn't help myself in posting it. :D

Comments

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is so 40 years from now, all those Philly fans living in NE will have something to commemorate the Eagles one SB win in team history.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

all those idiots lined up 12 cars deep in the drive through getting an eagles cup? :D

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly we wanted 5 for the best QB ever, and we got it. Everything after that is not a big deal trust me

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Honestly we wanted 5 for the best QB ever, and we got it. Everything after that is not a big deal trust me

I am not saying this to antagonize you - just asking a serious question.

Did you get to see Joe Montana play during his career?

Obviously, I’m not expecting ANY Patriot fan to have anyone above Tom Brady as the greatest QB of all time (nor should they). I’m just curious who you saw during your lifetime and how far you go back.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

I’m 48 years old. I saw Montana play for years, I saw “The Drive” let me ask you this, are you familiar with Montana’s supporting cast? Seriously have you compared his teams to New England’s over the years?

• Options

You Patriots fans should hold on to these cups. We all know that virtually all Patriots fans are going to immediately discard them in anger. Therefore the rarity of these cups may become quite valuable some day. ;)

And chit, I'd pay good money right now to see a pic of either Perkdog or Eric enjoying a nice hot cup of coffee, drinking it out an Eagles championship cup. LOL

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2018 12:48PM

@stevek said:
    You Patriots fans should hold on to these cups. We all know that virtually all Patriots fans are going to immediately discard them in anger. Therefore the rarity of these cups may become quite valuable some day. ;)

And chit, I'd pay good money right now to see a pic of either Perkdog or Eric enjoying a nice hot cup of coffee, drinking it out an Eagles championship cup. LOL

I'm not a coffee drinker so this one is all Perkdog B)
    I will hold onto an Eagles cup just in case the toilets not working and I need to take a leak. ;)

• Options
    edited September 3, 2018 1:01PM

@perkdog said:
    I’m 48 years old. I saw Montana play for years, I saw “The Drive” let me ask you this, are you familiar with Montana’s supporting cast? Seriously have you compared his teams to New England’s over the years?

Yes - and I don’t think it fair to complain about the guys he’s had to throw the ball to in any seasons until the last 2-3 (which probably means 4-5 with how fast time goes). But Brady has had plenty of weapons as a Patriot and has never had ANY season where you didn’t have someone going into the season that you’d want to throw the ball too. Plus, he plays in an era where you can’t hit receivers or quarterbacks - which for me is a huge factor. I’m not saying he doesn’t take a beating - he does - but it’s not quite as viscous and some of the dirtier tactics have been legislated out. It matters and the rule changes of the Peyton/Brady era have (for me) completely cheapened all the statistical accolades. When Marino had the yardage/TD record it meant something more. Gosh, it seems like in the last five years alone they’ve been topped by about 15 different guys - some of whom aren’t even all that good.

And I appreciate the candor - we’re around the same age.

Having seen both (and being a ‘fan’ of neither - I am a Giant fan but don’t have any hate for teams outside the NFC East) its very close. As I’ve mentioned to you before, the Bellichek/Brady era Patriots have been incredible - there’s no other way to put it. And he’s certainly worthy of the GOAT designation even if he doesn’t get it from me...

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@perkdog said:

Yes - and I don’t think it fair to complain about the guys he’s had to throw the ball to in any seasons until the last 2-3 (which probably means 4-5 with how fast time goes). But Brady has had plenty of weapons as a Patriot and has never had ANY season where you didn’t have someone going into the season that you’d want to throw the ball too. Plus, he plays in an era where you can’t hit receivers or quarterbacks - which for me is a huge factor. I’m not saying he doesn’t take a beating - he does - but it’s not quite as viscous and some of the dirtier tactics have been legislated out. It matters and the rule changes of the Peyton/Brady era have (for me) completely cheapened all the statistical accolades. When Marino had the yardage/TD record it meant something more. Gosh, it seems like in the last five years alone they’ve been topped by about 15 different guys - some of whom aren’t even all that good.

Having seen both (and being a ‘fan’ of neither - I am a Giant fan but don’t have any hate for teams outside the NFC East) its very close. As I’ve mentioned to you before, the Bellichek/Brady era Patriots have been incredible - there’s no other way to put it. And he’s certainly worthy of the GOAT designation even if he doesn’t get it from me...

Not interested in the Stevek noise...but, you said you're a Giants fan. Do you remember a player named Bobby Duhon? Played in the Tarkenton days.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without Belichick, Brady is no more than a journeyman. Brady is luckier than Ringo Starr.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Without Belichick, Brady is no more than a journeyman. Brady is luckier than Ringo Starr.

There is validity to that, and the fact is that Ringo was just a very average drummer, nothing special whatsoever. John Lennon even alluded to that at times. If Ringo would have instead played drums for the Dave Clark Five, the finest contestant on the game show Jeopardy wouldn't have heard of him.

Would Brady have become the great QB that he is today without Belichick? According to Brady the correct answer is "No" but the geniuses out there believe that their opinion about Brady has more merit than Brady's viewpoint about himself. LOL

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@perkdog said:

Not interested in the Stevek noise...but, you said you're a Giants fan. Do you remember a player named Bobby Duhon? Played in the Tarkenton days.

I've heard some call Beethoven's 9th, "noise", because they don't understand. ;)

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@perkdog said:

I know who he is but I can’t say I had the good fortune of seeing him play live.

Did I miss something special? I’m one of the few people who still thinks you need to see a guy play to evaluate them properly. Stats are more a part, not be all end all for me...

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

That’s a ridiculous statement on many levels - shall I break it down?

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

Of course you may do that if you wish. I think Perkdog and Eric have basically done that already. But either way it's just speculation.

We shall never know for sure how Brady would have turned out if say Steve Spurrier would have been his NFL coach.

In any event, I sincerely doubt that Gisele would have married him...supermodels such as that don't date average quarterbacks. ;)

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@perkdog said:

I know who he is but I can’t say I had the good fortune of seeing him play live.

Did I miss something special? I’m one of the few people who still thinks you need to see a guy play to evaluate them properly. Stats are more a part, not be all end all for me...

I play poker with him both at our club and private games. A super nice guy, happy go lucky, who takes a good jab as well as dish it out. He and I have a $100 bet on the Yankees/Red Sox final performance...whichever team ends up ahead of the other wins the Benjamin. He knows I've got it in the bag. Bobby lives in Reynolds Plantation at Lake Oconee, GA, I'm across the road in a retirement community. Everybody likes Bobby, just a nice guy.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

I'm not a coffee drinker so this one is all Perkdog B)
    I will hold onto an Eagles cup just in case the toilets not working and I need to take a leak. ;)

@Coinstartled said:

Coin every time I start to like you and enjoy your input you absolutely destroy it with statements like this. Your a buffoon if you truly believe that crap you posted.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@perkdog said:

I play poker with him both at our club and private games. A super nice guy, happy go lucky, who takes a good jab as well as dish it out. He and I have a $100 bet on the Yankees/Red Sox final performance...whichever team ends up ahead of the other wins the Benjamin. He knows I've got it in the bag. Bobby lives in Reynolds Plantation at Lake Oconee, GA, I'm across the road in a retirement community. Everybody likes Bobby, just a nice guy.

Wow. Great stuff. My uncle is in the same community as Whitey Ford down in Florida. He’s a pretty quiet guy, now, I guess, for the most part.

• Options

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

Of course you may do that if you wish. I think Perkdog and Eric have basically done that already. But either way it's just speculation.

We shall never know for sure how Brady would have turned out if say Steve Spurrier would have been his NFL coach.

In any event, I sincerely doubt that Gisele would have married him...supermodels such as that don't date average quarterbacks. ;)

Ok but I was actually planning on focusing more on Ringo. Lucky? More like the glue!

• Options
    edited September 3, 2018 4:08PM

@MCMLVTopps said:

@perkdog said:

disregard

• Options

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

Ok but I was actually planning on focusing more on Ringo. Lucky? More like the glue!

It's just nice to see everyone getting warmed up for some enjoyable smack during the upcoming football season.

Nothing better than an ice cold Sam Adams, along with some tasty snacks, and the Eagles playing some top notch winning football. :)

• Options

@SteveK

I feel the same way about the Eagles as Jeffrey Lebowski does.

Oddly enough, I too was thrown out of a cab (in Philly) for saying so. B)

• Options

@SteveK

I feel the same way about the Eagles as Jeffrey Lebowski does.

Oddly enough, I too was thrown out of a cab (in Philly) for saying so. B)

The Eagles weren't the Beatles that's for sure.

And don't forget about George Martin. It could be stated that George Martin to the Beatles is sort of like what Bill Belichick was to Tom Brady. IE: shaping a diamond in the rough and turning it into a gem.

I've heard on YouTube a number of Beatles songs in their early renditions that were garbage - and Martin turned them into masterpieces.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

George Martin,for sure, was the "Fifth Beatle".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ringo was not just lucky. He was the drummer for Englands top band before he joined the Beatles. Now Pete Best may have been one of the unluckiest people ever.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    George Martin,for sure, was the "Fifth Beatle".

Pretty cool to hear on YouTube "I Saw Her Standing There" a rock classic, in its early takes. It was a catchy tune, but nothing special at all, perhaps not even a top 50 song. Martin however mixed it, and turned it into a classic.

• Options

@Brick said:
    Ringo was not just lucky. He was the drummer for Englands top band before he joined the Beatles. Now Pete Best may have been one of the unluckiest people ever.

One way or the other, the Beatles would have gotten rid of Pete Best. The bottom line is that he was a terrible drummer, barely worthy of a cheap nightclub band.

Best actually dropped out of music, soon after the Beatles dumped him, and I think he made his living as a postal clerk or something like that.

Of course years later he made a small fortune, i think it was six million pounds or so, off residuals from the Beatles Anthology series.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    Ringo was not just lucky. He was the drummer for England's top band before he joined the Beatles. Now Pete Best may have been one of the unluckiest people ever.

CORRECT! He was regarded by many as the best drummer in England when he played with Rory Storm and the Hurricanes.

He was a great drummer, perhaps had he been more flashy, the people who idolize Moon and Bonham (both truly great drummers as well) would give him more respect. The difference is you have to LISTEN to hear how good Ringo was, the other guys pounded it into your ears.

When Harrison threatened to quit Lennon said "go on we'll get Clapton" when Ringo walked out, the Beatles ALL begged him to come back stating he was "the best rock and roll drummer".

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@Brick said:
    Ringo was not just lucky. He was the drummer for England's top band before he joined the Beatles. Now Pete Best may have been one of the unluckiest people ever.

CORRECT! He was regarded by many as the best drummer in England when he played with Rory Storm and the Hurricanes.

He was a great drummer, perhaps had he been more flashy, the people who idolize Moon and Bonham (both truly great drummers as well) would give him more respect. The difference is you have to LISTEN to hear how good Ringo was, the other guys pounded it into your ears.

When Harrison threatened to quit Lennon said "go on we'll get Clapton" when Ringo walked out, the Beatles ALL begged him to come back stating he was "the best rock and roll drummer".

Ringo Star - Popular drummer, yes. Great drummer, no.

I played the drums. I can't play worth a chit, but i know "greatness" on the drums when i hear it, and that's not Ringo Star.

I'm not a Beatles aficionado like some here may be, but I don't recall in any Beatles song a drum solo by Ringo Star. All those innovative Beatles songs, all three of the other Beatles liked Ringo personally...they gave him some songs to sing, so why would they not have some drum solos in there for Ringo? I think we know the answer.

Again, some know Beatles history a lot better than me. But from what I recall they chose Ringo because he just happened to be the best drummer available from their area in Liverpool, and anybody was better than Pete Best. LOL

And please don't mention Keith Moon and John Bonham in the same sentence as Ringo Star. May as well mention Mickey Mantle and a utility infielder in the same sentence. LOL

• Options

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

I would agree that Ringo was the "glue" that helped keep the three others together with their huge egos who wanted to go their separate ways, for as long as possible, until it became impossible.

But as far as Ringo being any sort of "glue" to the Beatles music if you are implying that? Come on now. Ringo's talent was as interchangeable to the Beatles as getting a new mouse for a computer. LOL

• Options

I always get a laugh how threads go so far off topic...this one is pretty good, it went from Dunkin' Donuts coffee cups to Ringo Star, in one page.

• Options

@stevek said:

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

I would agree that Ringo was the "glue" that helped keep the three others together with their huge egos who wanted to go their separate ways, for as long as possible, until it became impossible.

But as far as Ringo being any sort of "glue" to the Beatles music if you are implying that? Come on now. Ringo's talent was as interchangeable to the Beatles as getting a new mouse for a computer. LOL

Totally the former and I’m more macro than micro. Ringo Starr’s ability to drum is almost irrelevant to the Beatles. The Beatles did not record together for very long at all by today’s or any standard and in the ephemeral time period we saw musical genius the likes of which we may never see again; a confluence of talent from song writing, production, marketing, A&R, costume, photography - you name it.

And without ole Ringo, the catalog we were fortunate enough too get may have and likely would have been reduced even more. It’s not no Ringo, no Beatles but losing any of their recording time would be a grave injustice to the ears of the world.

• Options

@stevek said:

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

Totally the former and I’m more macro than micro. Ringo Starr’s ability to drum is almost irrelevant to the Beatles. The Beatles did not record together for very long at all by today’s or any standard and in the ephemeral time period we saw musical genius the likes of which we may never see again; a confluence of talent from song writing, production, marketing, A&R, costume, photography - you name it.

And without ole Ringo, the catalog we were fortunate enough too get may have and likely would have been reduced even more. It’s not no Ringo, no Beatles but losing any of their recording time would be a grave injustice to the ears of the world.

You make some interesting points about Ringo's influence that i hadn't considered.

And I'm not knocking Ringo. I mean who doesn't like Ringo? Frankly, his drumming talent was a good fit for the Beatles because he basically stayed out of the way and let those great songwriters do their thing.

Charlie Watts who is a superb drummer, does the same thing when he plays with the Stones. Even though Watts is capable of much more, he basically stays out of the way when he plays with them.

• Options

Plus there’s different strokes for different folks. Remember Guitar George? He knows all the chords but he’s strictly rhythm he don’t want to make it cry or sing...

Also, Larry Mullen* - there is a greatness in being able to subvert ones own ego when you consider it almost a fact that people are most often unwilling to do so.

*The drummer for U2 and in my opinion they’ve crept into the coveted 5th spot in greatest bands of all time...

...my how this thread has gone awry.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    I always get a laugh how threads go so far off topic...this one is pretty good, it went from Dunkin' Donuts coffee cups to Ringo Star, in one page.

Imagine if Craig was here :D

• Options

I contacted Ringo, and he responded and said that he would post here and clear things up about the Beatles.

He said it may take a while to reply because he lives in a yellow submarine. I'm not sure what he meant by that?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps New Englanders wanted to add a novelty cup to therir collections..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

You mean since they also may have a Jets Super Bowl novelty cup in their collections.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

You mean since they also may have a Jets Super Bowl novelty cup in their collections.

One for each Super Bowl championship, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.