Home Sports Talk

Dallas Cowboys cut Dan Bailey, second-most accurate kicker in NFL history

stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/dallas-cowboys-cut-dan-bailey-second-accurate-kicker-nfl-history-230234106.html

Dallas Cowboys cut Dan Bailey, second-most accurate kicker in NFL history

.....Without Bailey, the Cowboys will go with Brett Maher, who has yet to kick in a regular-season game. The 28-year-old went undrafted out of Nebraska in 2013, and has bounced around each offseason since.

Thank you Jerry Jones for making the Eagles possible return trip to the Super Bowl just a little bit easier.

I luv ya Jerry, I truly do.

You are the GOAT owner of any league that ever was and ever will be.

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jerry Jones - My personal hero

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope the Viking grab him!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

We don't need a kicker........we will never get close enough to the end zone to try a FG! Our season is OVER and it hasn't even started! :s

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

did you check the sticky Steve ? Rule 4 says no threads about kickers allowed.

@DIMEMAN said:
    We don't need a kicker........we will never get close enough to the end zone to try a FG! Our season is OVER and it hasn't even started! :s

Dimeman - Stop trying to do a reverse jinx on the Cowboys.

A reverse jinx only works when ya really mean it. ;)

@bronco2078 said:
    did you check the sticky Steve ? Rule 4 says no threads about kickers allowed.

Scroll down to see Rule 10:
    No rules are in effect when it pertains to talking smack about the Dallas Cowboys.

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

It's not reverse jinx Steve. Have you seen our injured list.....our suspended list and jailbird list! We may not be able to field a team for week 1. ARGH!

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

It's not reverse jinx Steve. Have you seen our injured list.....our suspended list and jailbird list! We may not be able to field a team for week 1. ARGH!

I dunno...when all that you mentioned happens...good teams, and the Cowboys I hate to admit are a good team...especially with a chip on their shoulder...usually step it up and play better. They get an adrenaline rush from the predicament.

I think the Cowboys will play well in the upcoming Panthers game. The unknown factor is their new kicker.

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I dunno...when all that you mentioned happens...good teams, and the Cowboys I hate to admit are a good team...especially with a chip on their shoulder...usually step it up and play better. They get an adrenaline rush from the predicament.

I think the Cowboys will play well in the upcoming Panthers game. The unknown factor is their new kicker.

We will see...….that's why they play the games.

I think it's entirely possible that Dimeman has reverse jinxed the Cowboys into a win against the Panthers. ;)

Doesn't matter though, the Eagles still win the NFC East without breaking much of a sweat.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d like the Pats to snatch him up and dump Gostkowski

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just read that Bailey is working out for the Jets and they're expected to sign him.

@erikthredd said:
    Just read that Bailey is working out for the Jets and they're expected to sign him.

Now that's the smart move, sign him, and if his groin injury is still bothering him, just let him heal up until he's ready to play. He's only 30 years old, that's still young for a kicker.

Jerry Jones is a fool. He should have just placed the guy on injured reserve.

Something is going on with this that will probably eventually come out in the wash. Something behind the scenes in some manner. I mean you just do NOT release an accurate kicker like this - they are tough to find.

A quick google search for his 2017 contract came up with this. It probably just came down to the money owed to him:
    Bailey was owed a base salary of $3.4 million each of the next three seasons, according to Dallas Morning News' Brandon George. In 2014, Bailey had signed a seven-year, $22.5 million contract.

@erikthredd said:
    A quick google search for his 2017 contract came up with this. It probably just came down to the money owed to him:
    Bailey was owed a base salary of $3.4 million each of the next three seasons, according to Dallas Morning News' Brandon George. In 2014, Bailey had signed a seven-year, $22.5 million contract.

You may be right. But then again, perhaps there has been, behind the scenes, a fundamental heated disagreement as to the best treatment options for the injury.

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

Now that's the smart move, sign him, and if his groin injury is still bothering him, just let him heal up until he's ready to play. He's only 30 years old, that's still young for a kicker.

Something is going on with this that will probably eventually come out in the wash. Something behind the scenes in some manner. I mean you just do NOT release an accurate kicker like this - they are tough to find.

he was probably kicking his kids around.

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

You may be right. But then again, perhaps there has been, behind the scenes, a fundamental heated disagreement as to the best treatment options for the injury.

We're talking about Jerry Jones here so who knows.

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

Some one using their little baby instead a football, when a football isn't handy, to practice their kicks, certainly should be considered repulsive.

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

Some one using their little baby instead a football, when a football isn't handy, to practice their kicks, certainly should be considered repulsive.

was it the giants that had a kicker with a domestic abuse situation a few years ago? The team and the league tried to cover it up

Even though Jerry Jones is basically incompetent compared to all the money he spends, he really outdid himself with this move.

This reminds me a bit about what Buddy Ryan did with Cris Carter. Buddy is one of my favorite coaches of all time, but he did make a few glaring mistakes, and this was one of them. I think we all know the basic story on this, so no sense rehashing it. Suffice to say that cutting a future hall of famer such as Chis Carter may have cost Ryan a Super Bowl appearance and eventually his job with the Eagles.

Cutting a solid kicker such as this, could very well windup costing Jerry Jones going to the playoffs or winning playoff games or getting to the Super Bowl...something that Jones has become very accustomed to doing for a long time now.

Got him! :-)

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@stevek said:
    Even though Jerry Jones is basically incompetent compared to all the money he spends, he really outdid himself with this move.

This reminds me a bit about what Buddy Ryan did with Cris Carter. Buddy is one of my favorite coaches of all time, but he did make a few glaring mistakes, and this was one of them. I think we all know the basic story on this, so no sense rehashing it. Suffice to say that cutting a future hall of famer such as Chis Carter may have cost Ryan a Super Bowl appearance and eventually his job with the Eagles.

Cutting a solid kicker such as this, could very well windup costing Jerry Jones going to the playoffs or winning playoff games or getting to the Super Bowl...something that Jones has become very accustomed to doing for a long time now.

Sorry Steve, but you have a misguided love for Buddy Ryan. He was a duech bag! He put out bounty's for his player to intentionally injure players on other teams.

edited September 18, 2018 5:39PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

Sorry Steve, but you have a misguided love for Buddy Ryan. He was a duech bag! He put out bounty's for his player to intentionally injure players on other teams.

Still mad about the end of that game against Tom Landry?

https://youtu.be/BpWPKktFjlo

Note: After clicking the link, click where it says:
    Watch on YouTube

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I guess the Cowboys want to join the rest of the league and have more ties or perhaps blow more games because their kicker keeps missing chip shots. Having semi-followed the local Tampa Bay team over the past couple of years, I can tell you that can get to be very frustrating after a while.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:
    Well I guess the Cowboys want to join the rest of the league and have more ties or perhaps blow more games because their kicker keeps missing chip shots. Having semi-followed the local Tampa Bay team over the past couple of years, I can tell you that can get to be very frustrating after a while.

So far the kicker has not cost us a game. Our one loss so far has been due to lack of offense. Which was corrected in game 2 against New York.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@BillJones said:

So far the kicker has not cost us a game. Our one loss so far has been due to lack of offense. Which was corrected in game 2 against New York.

Don't get too excited. Your team was playing the New York Giants. Last season they were sort of the country club franchise in the NFL. ;) During some games, they seemed to be playing flag football, or perhaps thought that they were in the Pro Bowl.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

I realize it was "the Giants" , but it was refreshing to see some offensive calls that made sense. Plus it seems throughout history the Giants always gave us trouble no matter how good or bad either team was.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Playing a team with no defense doesn't mean you have found your offense.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@Brick said:
    Playing a team with no defense doesn't mean you have found your offense.

Hence to be forever known as the Brick Theorem.

:)

The Giants defense is OK...….it's their offense that sucks. Manning is a has been that never was great.

Vikings debut today!

Hope Vikings have finally found a kicker who doesn't CHOKE!

@JoeBanzai said:
    Vikings debut today!

I think he's a good fit for the Vikings, particularly because of their indoor stadium.

The Vikings will have a kicking edge in there, having a dependable accurate kicker, versus a kicker who perhaps may have a stronger leg, and perhaps could hit a 50 yarder outdoors thru the wind, but lacks the overall consistency of a Dan Bailey.

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Vikings debut today!

Go Vikes! I'm hoping this works out as well.

Daniel

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    Vikings debut today!

I think he's a good fit for the Vikings, particularly because of their indoor stadium.

The Vikings will have a kicking edge in there, having a dependable accurate kicker, versus a kicker who perhaps may have a stronger leg, and perhaps could hit a 50 yarder outdoors thru the wind, but lacks the overall consistency of a Dan Bailey.

You absolutely can't miss the short ones!

Vikes didn't even need him today.