Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Western So-Called Dollar book & Price Guide

Jeff Shevlin has published an "Annual So-Called Dollar Collector's Pocket Price Guide for Pacific Coast Expositions" as a prelude to his upcoming book, "So-Called Dollars from the Pacific Coast Expositions."
I believe the book will be available in early October.
The "Hardbound, 8 ½ x 11, 320 page, full color editions are $59.95. A signed and numbered collector’s leather bound edition, limited to 100 copies, is available for $149.95. An exclusive commemorative medal will be encased in the cover of each collectors leather bound edition. Shipping is $4.50 per book."

I own the Price Guide (with color pics of medals) and am impressed by the detail and completeness.

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another good book for a numismatic library.... That collectors edition sure sounds nice, though I would likely settle for the hardbound edition. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear this book is out. I gave Jeff a photo of one of my pieces a while back because he asked. I wonder if it will be in there?

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2018 10:13AM

Anybody got a link to buying one? TYIA

Oppps I found it here is the link. I did not get the leather bound a bit to much for me but reasonable on the hard bound.

http://www.so-calleddollar.com/books/

Also found the pocket book on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANNUAL-SO-CALLED-DOLLAR-COLLECTORS-POCKET-PRICE-GUIDE-PACIFIC-COAST-EXPOSITIONS/142903349976?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am blown away by these So-Called Dollars. Beautiful designs are overwhelming. I never realized the diversity and artistic accomplishment presented. At a loss for words to describe the feeling just awakened.

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

I was at the presentation where he first showed off his new book, and it looked quite impressive.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options

I just ordered the Pocket Price Guide. Thanks @Gluggo for the links and thanks for posting about this. Opened my eyes.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should be interesting teading, thanks !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    I just ordered the Pocket Price Guide. Thanks @Gluggo for the links and thanks for posting about this. Opened my eyes.

Thanks Kud but the thanks has to go to the OP for bringing the information here, prior to this never heard of this book. I also ordered the books and thats why this board is so great! One quick internet search and bam! Great people and great minds!

• Options

I thought I inserted the OP's name, sheesh. Yes, thanks to @1patwick for making me aware of these beauties.

• Options
    1patwick1patwick Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

In hindsight,
    I really hate Jeff's new book!
    My main SCD collection is the Alaska-Yukon Expo. Using the old Hibler & Kappen SCD book this collection was nearly complete! I was on top of the world - even elated at times. NO MORE. With all the 'new' entries I'll have to be patient and reserve more money to pay for the hopeful 'new finds'. I feel especially sorry for Calif. Mid Winter Expo and PPIE collectors.
    I sure hope no one else has these laments

@Zoins said:
    Glad to hear this book is out. I gave Jeff a photo of one of my pieces a while back because he asked. I wonder if it will be in there?

A. According to Jeff Shevlin's eBay listing the book's release date is around Christmas.

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

1Patwick. Don’t have to add new ones. Just stay with the original book.

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options

@ScarsdaleCoin said:
    1Patwick. Don’t have to add new ones. Just stay with the original book.

humor on wry seems dead in this group or my attempt at dry humor fell short. Oh well, no apologies

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2018 12:28AM

@1patwick said:
    In hindsight,
    I really hate Jeff's new book!
    My main SCD collection is the Alaska-Yukon Expo. Using the old Hibler & Kappen SCD book this collection was nearly complete! I was on top of the world - even elated at times. NO MORE. With all the 'new' entries I'll have to be patient and reserve more money to pay for the hopeful 'new finds'. I feel especially sorry for Calif. Mid Winter Expo and PPIE collectors.
    I sure hope no one else has these laments

• Options

I received Jeff Shevlin & William D. Hyder's new book, "So-Called Dollars From the Pacific Coast, 1894-1962". Each exhibition is explained in detail, color pictures and event memorabilia. The book is well written and details each medals specifications. The book also chronicles the evolution of National Exhibitions and their refinements. The book features 'new' medals not listed in Hibler & Kappen's SCD book, hence my previous lamenting (read butt-hurt) post.
    The authors reveal future books in the works to cover the remainder of the US National Expositions in H&K's original book.

This book is a 100% improvement over the first two So-Called Dollar books with large color pictures of medals, histories of each exposition, new rarity guide and a new cataloging system able to grow with new medal finds. Yes, it's a hassle at first but the new catalog system assigns each expo with a number, (Crystal Palace = 1, US Centennial Expo = 2...), Each medal is assigned a number, 1-2... (ex) and finally the medal's composition. In the new system, SH 1-2Ag, would be the new designation for Crystal Palace, HK-7. The new book explains this better than my attempt.

FOR AYPE Collectors: This is a essay on the medals and souvenirs licensed for the AYPE by the Joseph Mayer Co. written by Paul Middents. There are many illustrations...Enjoy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file