Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Crazy Mint Mark on a 1946-D Dime......

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found this on Ebay during one of my daily searches. I'm not sure what all is going on. There are all kind of lines going thru the "D" and what looks like a repunched "D" South of MM. Any ideas out here. Does anybody think it could be a RPM with other problems. Tell me what you think.

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy it and we'll decide what it is later. :) There is an RPM-003 with much less of a spread so you may have an unlisted RPM. It sure looks like one. Did you check CONECA?

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Buy it and we'll decide what it is later. :) There is an RPM-003 with much less of a spread so you may have an unlisted RPM. It sure looks like one. Did you check CONECA?

I already have the coin and I checked CONECA and didn't see any RPM close to this.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please post a few more pictures with varied lighting.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:
    Please post a few more pictures with varied lighting.

Here are 2 closer pics with different lighting.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't be the only one who thought that we would probably be the ones asking this question to the op instead of the other way around, Yes? :)

• Options
    edited August 31, 2018 8:29AM

@DIMEMAN

I'm glad we are dealing with you rather than a CRH. First thing, get rid of the black crap all over the Mintmark. Acetone should work. Second, that thing that looks like a v. low "D" looks like it is on top of the base of the torch. If it is , I think you got something good.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    @DIMEMAN

I'm glad we are dealing with you rather than a CRH. First thing, get rid of the black crap all over the Mintmark. Acetone should work. Second, that thing that looks like a v. low "D" looks like it is on top of the base of the torch. If it is , I think you got something good.

There is not much that will come off the mm. Those are all lines inside and out of mm. I will soak in acetone at see what that does. Might be a while before I get that done.

• Options
    edited August 31, 2018 9:00AM

Maybe you are dealing with a patch of strike thru's. If I owned the coin, I'd put some dip on a Q-tip and put a drop right on the "D." I have little patience with my own coins.

Actually, I'd look at it under the scope first as I may want to leave the black marks on it - depending on my exam.

Anyway, if not a mint error, the important thing is the low "D" characteristic.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do believe the MM is a re-punch...I cannot determine what the lines are... at first I thought they were pencil marks, but the second pictures, when magnified, look as if they are (at least some) part of the metal. Perhaps some dip ...not sure acetone will work since they do not look organic (ICBW).... Good luck, let us know, this is interesting. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I'll probably send it to Wiles with some others and see what he thinks. Maybe send a pic to Bill Fivaz and get his reaction also.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2018 9:30AM

Good diligent on the search to see those very fine signs. I am looking forward to read the verdict @DIMEMAN :)

• Options

@Hallco said:
    I can't be the only one who thought that we would probably be the ones asking this question to the op instead of the other way around, Yes? :)

I tend to catch myself wanting to see a RPM when it is something else and wanted to get the opinion of others here.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    I'll probably send it to Wiles with some others and see what he thinks. Maybe send a pic to Bill Fivaz and get his reaction also.

Sounds like a plan. Some of the lines (Scratches?) are inside the MM and don't follow on to it. Others go across it. It really looks like something that was purposefully done.

I say this because of the exact area involved. On and around the MM only.

When you think that you have seen it all, you always see one more.....

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting.

• Options

The black lines look like discoloration from some contaminant on the planchet prior to the strike. I have a sneaking suspicion that if you dipped it everything would go away.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Three scratches inside the D. Obviously the devil did it.

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    The black lines look like discoloration from some contaminant on the planchet prior to the strike. I have a sneaking suspicion that if you dipped it everything would go away.

Except for the lower "D?"

• Options

@Insider2 said:

@CaptHenway said:

Except for the lower "D?"

I sent a pic to Bill Fivaz and he wants to see it. He thinks it looks like a RPM.

• Options

@CaptHenway said:

Having the coin in hand I can almost guarantee a dip would not take any of the lines off.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

clash?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt said:
    clash?

Nothing like that on the obverse to my knowledge.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting coin Dimeman.
    Lot going on there.

My first observation in that the black lines occurred after the coin was struck.
    Look at the uppermost black line that almost looks like a Y on the top of the D
    There is no deflection where the line leaves the MM and flows onto the field.
    If it were a planchet issue that would have been a deep occlusion, also I would think
    it would show some effect from the compresion of the striking of the MM
    and not show as an unbroken line.

Also look at the left bar of the primary D. Something happened to the D that caused
    the thickening on the lower third of the bar.

Now looking at the pictures of the lower possibly repunched D, it appears to
    show or present as being outlined by the black lines. Is it actually raised or could
    it possibly be a visual impression of a D and not a physical impression of a D ?

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crushed spider.... :)

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Bizarre.

First thought was yes RPM. Then, no, it is a clash. Then no....

Almost looks like the olive leaves that are normally to the left of the torch on a Roosevelt (rotated double struck?). Or the leaves in a Barber dime wreath (struck over a struck coin?)
    But both of those scenarios can be easily ruled out.. Can you show the entire coin?

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

To my eye, it’s all black stuff. Some of the stuff under the mint mark is curved in just the right way to give the impression of another “D”
    I’d say some black crud got caught in the mintmark area of the die and was struck into this coin, causing an optical illusion.

• Options

@scubafuel said:
    To my eye, it’s all black stuff. Some of the stuff under the mint mark is curved in just the right way to give the impression of another “D”
    I’d say some black crud got caught in the mintmark area of the die and was struck into this coin, causing an optical illusion.

In hand it's not black crud or an optical illusion....it is there.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well can’t argue with “in-hand”. I’m looking forward to hearing the final verdict!
    -matt

• Options
    edited September 1, 2018 10:11AM

If this were a known variety that also showed the discoloration then we would say that the discoloration is coincidental. Since the possible three dimensional effect is not otherwise known, we must strongly consider the probability that the possible three dimensional effect and the discoloration are connected.

A strike through an uneven foreign substance can leave an uneven, three dimensional surface on the coin, while also leaving enough of a trace of the foreign substance on the surface to discolor the coin.

I look forward to hearing Bill’s opinion on the piece.

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    If this were a known variety that also showed the discoloration then we would say that the discoloration is coincidental. Since the possible three dimensional effect is not otherwise known, we must strongly consider the probability that the possible three dimensional effect and the discoloration are connected.

A strike through an uneven foreign substance can leave an uneven, three dimensional surface on the coin, while also leaving enough of a trace of the foreign substance on the surface to discolor the coin.

I look forward to hearing Bill’s opinion on the piece.

While Bill should know, I wish the OP had sent the dime to someone else who ACTIVELY posts here for a quicker answer.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm anxiously looking forward to hearing about this one. It would be nice for @DIMEMAN to discover a new RPM this dramatic on a dime. :)

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bump

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:
    Could it be a dropped letter?

That was my first thought.
    Whatever it is, it is certainly interesting.

• Options

Any update?

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    Any update?

I haven't sent the coin to Mr. Wiles yet. I am rounding up several to send together.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exciting thread. I love this stuff!!!

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone else mentioned clash . Any chance that Philadelphia sent a damaged/ clashed die at the end of the year and then was punched with a D twice?

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Crushed spider.... :)

But, but, should there be 8 lines then???

bob ;)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

I'm looking at this again. IMO, this is an "artifact" caused by stains. There is a raised line of corrosion across the "D." The other black lines appear flat as if struck thru a tuff of foreign material or a dirt ball of fibrous dust that tarnished the surface. What looks lie a "D" below the actual "D" is NOT an RPM.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    I'm looking at this again. IMO, this is an "artifact" caused by stains. There is a raised line of corrosion across the "D." The other black lines appear flat as if struck thru a tuff of foreign material or a dirt ball of fibrous dust that tarnished the surface. What looks lie a "D" below the actual "D" is NOT an RPM.

I looked at this again in hand using a 16X loop. All of these "things" are raised metal and not just a visual allusion.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish @DIMEMAN luck with this piece, but I don't think it's an RPM.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those spider veinlike dark lines sure look like the lamination cracked and the core leached out some love juice. IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Insider2 said:

I looked at this again in hand using a 16X loop. All of these "things" are raised metal and not just a visual allusion.

Read my post again. The black lines of corrosion ARE RAISED! Let us know the results. Next time, send it to me and we would have had the answer ten days ago. :wink:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file