Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2018 Cumberland Island quarter launch

baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 30, 2018 3:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Had a chance to attend a quarter launch today. It was for the 2018 Cumberland Island America The Beautiful quarter.
I got there with a few minutes to spare and my seat was pretty far from the stage. The launch was held at Camden County High School in Camden county, GA. They had a good security presence, and everything was well organized. The entertainment - a trombone trio and choral group was really good. The park service and mint did a really nice coin launch, and the school facility was great. All of this within a few miles of the Cumberland Island National Seashore. Glad i went, bought four (4) rolls of quarters to boot.

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...

Comments

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks a lot like the committee to adopt the Chain Cent.

• Options

Here's my haul ...

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice ceremony...Did not realize they did this... I assume they have done it for the other issues as well. Certainly cannot pass up a roll or two at an event like that. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭✭

They sell at face, or charge a mark-up? The way things are going, it'll be 2019 before I see any of those circulating around here................. :(

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are those blued? Looks like a blue tint to them or is it just the lighting.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread made me remember reading "Encounters with the Archdruid," in which David Brower of the Sierra Club debated developer Charles Fraser about the future of Cumberland Island. Eventually, Fraser sold the Island to the National Park Foundation.

• Options

@DBSTrader2 said:
    They sell at face, or charge a mark-up? The way things are going, it'll be 2019 before I see any of those circulating around here................. :(

Face value, up to ten rolls per person. The local post office was canceling them for free.
    I didn't do that.

Donna Weaver, the designer was there too.

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    Are those blued? Looks like a blue tint to them or is it just the lighting.

They're all nice white Gem BU coins, I'm it's the lighting making them look blue.

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2018 1:26PM

@baddogss Thanks! Great pics and I know they're fun to attend. If it works, here's a link to my post here on the forums from 2010. The first quarter launch in the series. Just figured you might be interested.("https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/771975/anyone-else-make-it-to-hot-springs-today-pics-included#latest")

• Options

@smokincoin said:
    @baddogss Thanks! Great pics and I know they're fun to attend. If it works, here's a link to my post here on the forums from 2010. The first quarter launch in the series. Just figured you might be interested.("https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/771975/anyone-else-make-it-to-hot-springs-today-pics-included#latest")

Hey smokincoin, I remember that one. Nice pictures and post from long ago.
    I have the 5oz version of the Hot Springs coin.

• Options
    1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭

To far away for me, got them Cumberland Blues....

1TwoBits

Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file