Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NEWPS Skullduggery

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just returned home from a way too LONG overseas trip and these knuckleheads were waiting for me. They will take a seat of honor at the macabre table. Mint state well over 300 years old and ghoulish too boot. Some even have skull fractures ie die breaks. What’s not to like? :o

They will join the complete CRO box of 20. Time to get a bigger box

m

c. 1600 Barcelona MS 62

c.1650 Liege (Belgium) MS64BN

c 1686 Liege MS62BN

c. 1686 Liege MS63BN

c. 1825 Saxony SP64+ in bronze

This is the mate to a silver piece I acquired last year. It makes me smile

The aforementioned silver piece SP64

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your collection is covered for Halloween. (Or any Pirate celebratory occasions). ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

You'll have the Halloween thread covered! Nice stuff!

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you give a little history? I've never heard or seen any of these! Specifically the Liege ones, to keep it simple

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aside from the medal; with money looking like that who would want to save? Good for the economy- spend, spend, spend! Neat newps.

• Options
    edited August 30, 2018 3:16PM

@SiriusBlack said:
    Can you give a little history? I've never heard or seen any of these! Specifically the Liege ones, to keep it simple

Yes I messed up and was about to move this to the world forum

The last two Liege tokens tokens were to commemorate the 1000th!!! Anniversary of the remains of St Lambert being interred at the Church of Liege. The prior one above is AKA as a Belgium communion token.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now those are just plain cool!!!

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the bronze Saxony. The details always draw me in on a coin. The older pieces look quite foreboding.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool! Thanks for the history lesson!

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bronze is neat and the silver is beautifully toned. They all remind me of their new owner. ;)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bid on a couple liege coins. Was it Stack's? I forget. But love them

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, really nice pieces.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, you’re who bought those from CRO.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beat me to the c2 Liege 1686 62 brown.

Don't collect or usually have an interest in these issues.

What a cool coin!

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

I love the toned piece!

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wondered if you grabbed that one off the last EB list..... congrats :star:

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very unique collection! :)

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw those marked "sold" on the CRO early bird almost immediately. A very neat group.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

400 year old skulls, quite interesting :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arrrrgh - that's some mighty fine loot ya got there, matey!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way cool!

Nice additions and, yes, 'I get' the fascination to the macabre.

Something about it and that ancient history that is really interesting.

Beautiful high-end tokens.

Congratulations!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭

Given what happened to Liege (and Namur) during WWI, I find these particularly chilling pieces.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting items.... I like the theme - somewhat macabre, but, so am I. ;) I must look for some tokens/medals with skulls... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love um! The one with the die break the most, it adds to the grim reality....

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! I would dig to see the collection all laid out.

Your pretty fast too. I was literally on my phone when I got the EB email and I instantly opened the Skull tokens to see they were on hold already. Does he basically hold these for you at this point and just put them on the EB anyway? Or do you just pounce incredibly fast?

Nevertheless, It’s a intersting collecting subject, I think your onto something good here and these coins are far from boring. Keep it up man.

• Options
    edited August 31, 2018 9:38AM

@WildIdea I probably shouldn’t tell you this but my strategy for EB specials is to:

1) go straight to the bottom of the page and work my way up

2) send email as I’m calling

This works only some of the time

Thank you!!

m

• Options
    edited August 31, 2018 7:34PM

@Wabbit2313 said:
    How does something get saved in MS for more than 300 years? Amazing!

Someones great great great great great Uncle Fester probably saved stuff like this

m

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@Wabbit2313 said:

Someone great great great great great Uncle Fester probably saved stuff like this

m

A very unique collection. Do you have more along this type topic or are these your only examples?

What method, or place, keeps them so nice? No wooden box or desk drawer. No acid free paper back then I'd guess. Wrapped in something...what? Linen? Parchment? I've often wondered how early American coins were kept in mint state condition till today.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super cool!

• Options
    edited August 31, 2018 7:39PM

@Kudbegud said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Wabbit2313 said:

Someone great great great great great Uncle Fester probably saved stuff like this

m

A very unique collection. Do you have more along this type topic or are these your only examples?

What method, or place, keeps them so nice? No wooden box or desk drawer. No acid free paper back then I'd guess. Wrapped in something...what? Linen? Parchment? I've often wondered how early American coins were kept in mint state condition till today.

Indeed. Lots of other skulls, tokens with prisoners gnawing on bones, the obligatory hangings etc...... You know normal stuff. My Candyland

m

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2018 8:13PM

Those are great additions to your collection. Thanks for sharing. It's great seeing your collection grow!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file