Home U.S. Coin Forum

Hobo nickels

KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 30, 2018 12:59PM in U.S. Coin Forum

who likes hobo nickels? here is a fun piece I picked put of the last page of a Buff dansco. it looks a little better than than a basic example. Please share a Hobo if you have one.

Comments

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

May I see the reverse?

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool, I'd like to see the reverse too !!! B)

Timbuk3
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

that ear is crazy good

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2018 1:05PM

@Paradisefound said:
    May I see the reverse?

yes ma'am

all three sides now shown. I am completely blown away by the coin edge, as I did not see this at first. It is clearly engraved "AL"

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great place for an artist to sign their pieces.

thefinn
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great hobo :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

No Hobo Nickels here....but that's on my wishlist.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched an artist engrave a hobo nickel at the WFM. She showed great skill with her engraving tools. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

edited August 30, 2018 6:11PM

See next post :smile:
    thanks

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Actually, here is the better video that I was looking for :smile:
    https://youtu.be/nfRxBbj11Ds

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

On a side note, shouldn't we use a different term for modern defacement of coins? I mean "hobo nickels" were called that because they were carved by hobos. A modern artist messing with coinage is not at all the same thing, and not simply because they aren't hobos. The collectibility of a vintage hobo nickel is much higher than most of the contemporary "tourist fodder" (to use RogerB's term).

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    The collectibility of a vintage hobo nickel is much higher than most of the contemporary "tourist fodder" (to use RogerB's term).

This doesn't match what I seen, but perhaps what I've seen is limited. To me, it seems collectibility increases when the artist is known and has a following. At the same time, many vintage hobos aren't attributed and don't seem to sell for very much.

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some just run out of "steam"

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not have a hobo nickel.... I would like to get one of the 'old' one's...I will say that there are some super talented modern coin artists out there now, and some that just produce the above mentioned 'fodder'...Cheers, RickO

edited August 31, 2018 8:19AM

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    The collectibility of a vintage hobo nickel is much higher than most of the contemporary "tourist fodder" (to use RogerB's term).

This doesn't match what I seen, but perhaps what I've seen is limited. To me, it seems collectibility increases when the artist is known and has a following. At the same time, many vintage hobos aren't attributed and don't seem to sell for very much.

The handful of high profile artists command a premium, which is why I said "most". A genuine name (Bo Hughes) hobo nickel is $500ish these days. Maybe a couple hundred for anonymous vintage nickels. Most modern hobo "artists" are selling "tourist fodder" for $10 or less.

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I don't know if these links will work or help, but...

https://coins.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=790+231+51&Nty=1&Ntt=hobo&ic10=ArchiveTab-071515://

archive.stacksbowers.com/?q=ab6f2a9a-0cdf-4ed5-bc4b-05fe7a3e1733

https://ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=hobo+nickel&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

both the modern and vintage types are works of art. I like the story and the vintage of the old type.

quite a few good pieces in the Stack's offerings. thanks for posting this

• JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just obtained this a couple of weeks ago, by accident in a small group of buffs. I guess it's a Hobo nickel. It's not signed and not very good, but I think I'll keep it for a while.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

@Kccoin said:
    both the modern and vintage types are works of art. I like the story and the vintage of the old type.

quite a few good pieces in the Stack's offerings. thanks for posting this

Yes, there were some tremendously good hobos in that one auction. Of course, I got outbid on everything. LOL.

I'm not arguing that they aren't works of art. But technically, so is a velvet Elvis painting. There is a LOT of modern "hobo elvis paintings". Grouping those with vintage hobo nickels seems, at best, inaccurate to me. I mean, we don't call "potty dollars", "hobo dollars". And some modern nickels are all but stamped into the coins. They aren't all Booteen caliber.

• HobosapianHobosapian Posts: 72 ✭✭✭

Nice! The “AL” stands for Anatoly Lerenman. He’s a carver currently living in Chicago. :)

Chris Dempsey
    Dempsey & Baxter Rare Coins
    6032 Peach Street
    Erie, PA 16509
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the old hobo passed away before he could finish it?

wow, some very nice examples you have there @Hobosapian

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hobosapian said:
    A few more.

These are some of the most amazing pieces of 20th century Americana I can think of! Real works of art. I always enjoy when you post these. Congrats on acquiring so many great examples for your collection

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Only if they are legitimate products of the 1930s -- modern imitations are just tourist fodder.

I feel the same way - old school.
    And how does one tell if you are looking at a classic hobo or a modern one? Since I can't answer the question, I own zero hobos.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• HobosapianHobosapian Posts: 72 ✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2018 7:16PM

How can you tell? You buy coins from me when I have them for sale! :D

I can tell the difference, so a lot of people stop and see me at shows where I can discuss it with them in person.

Chris Dempsey
    Dempsey & Baxter Rare Coins
    6032 Peach Street
    Erie, PA 16509
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chris has a great collection but since each is a work of art there is nothing wrong with the “moderns”. Some of the moderns are incredible masterpieces and bring great joy to their owners. One of my favorite carvers is John Schipp
    Here is one that sold for over $400 back in 2014

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are cool

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hobosapian.... Those are awesome.... Congratulations on an incredible collection of old Hobo nickels....Very impressive. Cheers, RickO

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

hobo!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Authentic Vintage Hobo's !!!!

Love your handle Hobosapian !!!!

@Hobosapian said:
    A few more.

• ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lot to choose from here Hobos

https://m.coinhelp.com/hobo-nickels.html

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably have a modern knock off even though there was something on the side if I remember corrctly, but it could have been nicks

• Picker1954Picker1954 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

I added this to my Full horn set of Buffaloes.

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hobo nickels (classic) always modified the obverse?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2022 8:21AM

So this one was a "cherrypick" from a Buff Nick folder that I threw of Ebay and sold for $360 - makes me wonder if I
    got cherrypicked, given the closed Heritage auctions posted above.

• FrazFraz Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stuff.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file