Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think of this ebay deal? lot of 5 2017 silver eagle for $52.99?

TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 29, 2018 7:53PM in U.S. Coin Forum

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-1-Troy-oz-American-Silver-Eagle-Lot-of-5-BU-Coins/323419476361

Typo, earning feedback, clueless seller or scam? Btw limit one order per customer.

Comments

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake Fake Fake

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thought is there has to be something wrong. Nobody would sell under spot.

• Options
    edited August 29, 2018 7:58PM

Here is another thing, more than 24 were sold in the meanwhile the seller keeps updating the quantity back to 3 whenever inventory dropped down to 1. So I doubt the seller was clueless. Something is not right here.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or....Mrs Johnson may have found Mr. Johnson's secret Ebay account and Silver Stack! ;)

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

With 60 days return policy it is hard NOT to believe 'it's too good to be true' ;)

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

check out his stars on the rating system, item as described-4 1/2 stars, that is real bad! here is what I don't get, why does he own a store, paying up to 60 dollars per month, selling 2 things a month?

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Selling at a loss or outright ripoff.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

And free shipping, can't be right.

• Options
    edited August 29, 2018 8:24PM

This method was something I had done to promote, boost feedback and reviews when I used to sell men's suits on Amazon. New line of Italian suit for $29.99 shipped. Then after a couple of 5 stars reviews, $229 shipped! In less than a year, I sold over 10 thousands suits until my partner/ supplier decided to get out of garment industry. lol

But I can't think of any reason that this ASE deal is legit unless the seller won the lottery and feel very very generous.

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

With buyer protection from Ebay, PayPal, and my CC I took a shot. Will it play out well? Probably not but the risk is minimal.

• Options

check out the buyers, nobody is buying more then 5 coins. they are being careful. the coins are either fake or he doesn't have any

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    check out the buyers, nobody is buying more then 5 coins. they are being careful. the coins are either fake or he doesn't have any

The seller set a limit of one order per customer.

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

I have never bought a silver eagle, but I would rather buy 3 legitimate eagles for the $50 from my local dealer than to throw away $50 for what is most likely going to be an aggravating situation. Way too many flags are waving!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's legit, it's a great deal !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

"No free lunch" comes to mind.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a distinctly foul odder coming off that listing right through my computer !

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    There is a distinctly foul odder coming off that listing right through my computer !

That may be the sandwich you left under the keyboard.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

Link no longer functioning (just checked it a couple of times just now)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pulled.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bochiman said:
    Link no longer functioning (just checked it a couple of times just now)

Yup! And Ebay looked everywhere!

• Options

Ebay sent me a message saying that it was a compromised account and that I would be refunded.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.... totally gone now... and that is great that @MorganMan94 you will be refunded. Those are offers I just pass by... When it is too good to be true, it usually isn't....Somebody said that before...Words to live by, in all areas. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Wow.... totally gone now... and that is great that @MorganMan94 you will be refunded. Those are offers I just pass by... When it is too good to be true, it usually isn't....Somebody said that before...Words to live by, in all areas. Cheers, RickO

I take shots like this all the time and occasionally I win. With all the buyers protection between Ebay, PayPal, and my CC the risk is worth taking even if it only works out 25% of the time.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MorganMan94....I am sure you are right, and when it works out, it can be a good payoff.... It is the other times, when it does not work, that bother me. I am hassle averse... in my advanced years, I like things to go smoothly... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's a new way of scamming.....collect all the $$$$$ and then gone missing ? :s

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MorganMan94 said:

@ricko said:

I take shots like this all the time and occasionally I win. With all the buyers protection between Ebay, PayPal, and my CC the risk is worth taking even if it only works out 25% of the time.

You may win some. But sometimes you may think you have won, then find out much later then coins are completely fake.

• Options

this guy with the silver eagles never sold much stuff, hackers look for accounts like that

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

the thread went poof. ebay ads pop up now

• Options

@jwitten said:

@MorganMan94 said:

@ricko said:

You may win some. But sometimes you may think you have won, then find out much later then coins are completely fake.

For deals like that I buy for a quick profit. I always test with a PMV and sell within weeks.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect they were somehow involved.

• Options
    TopoftheHillTopoftheHill Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

Link now leads to lot of 2 for $43.03.

The dealer is Pinehurst....a PNG member and good egg.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live 15 minutes away from this seller. They have a brick and mortar store and are legit. They sell coins but I'd bet 95% of their business is bullion related.

Seems to me they made a mistake in their listing - nothing more - and no Russians.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file