Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Draped Bust Large Cent Variety question

SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone just pointed out to me on Instagram that my Draped Bust large Cent is a 100/000 variety. How do you go about valuing something like this considering the X damage across the front?

I know with rarer coins people are sometimes more willing to forgive problems. I’m keeping the coin and like it, I’ve just never had a variety coin before.

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2018 11:30AM

Damage is damage, I would think that the variety may increase the value, but not by much. Some one with too much time on their hands probably carved the X into your coin...unfortunately.

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/911501

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

You've got an S-249 variety. Interesting but not rare (R.2). It would probably grade VG Detail. You may net grade it back to something like AG3 or G4. In a PCGS or NGC slab it still would likely sell for something less than $100. As is (raw), maybe $50 or so.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2018 6:19PM

I’ve just never had a variety coin before.
    Well technically they are all varieties....some are more major or prominent than others ;)

This is actually one I'm looking for....I have an 01 and 02 with the 1/000, would like to get an 03.
    There are a number of varieties with this feature on all three of these dates.
    Some are scarce and others are not, but to me, they are all cool!
    Enjoy yours!
    Edited to add- only the 1801 has multiple varieties with this error...only one Sheldon variety for each year of the 02 and 03.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

All that matters is that YOU like it.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

The poor guy that made the error of 1/000 probably hoped that the situation would just go away and here we are still admiring it 215 years later.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

@sparky64 With all this AncestryDNA stuff, maybe we can find his descendants and see if they still carry the shame! :D

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's an '02 (S-228) bought from RWB seven years ago.
    Lance.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have an X variety and you are proud of it.....that's what matter.
    Come to think of it I don't even have one ..... ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be a keeper, even with the damage. Just a cool item.... ;) I am easily entertained and odd items find their way to my accumulation. :D Cheers, RickO

• Options

Makes me sorta curious why someone would X it to begin with!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file