Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1828 50c O-110 Die Crack?

Sean1990Sean1990 Posts: 64 ✭✭✭
edited August 29, 2018 9:44PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just picked this up and am waiting to receive it in hand. This appears to me to be a die crack that hasn't been seen on the 1828 O-110 before! Of course I am skeptical and it's more likely residue or toning that causes the optical illusion, but would love some other opinions!

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2018 1:21PM

It looks like O-110. Things happen and dies break. Guess you have an "a" but I would consult with Mr.Downey first. Once I though I had discovered a major new die pair; but he informed me the plate in the book was incorrect. :(

EDIT: upon further review (magnified image) the coin is just STAINED. Sorry for the error. :(:'(

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting ... it sure has the appearance of a die crack. Good luck!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2018 1:19PM

@astrorat said:

YIKES! You made me look again. I magnified the image and the coin is just STAINED! :(

• Options

That is definitely a concern of mine! The point where it goes into the denticles has me keeping my fingers crossed for a die crack!

• Options

@lkeigwin What is your opinion on this? I'll be adding more pictures when I get it in hand.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW, to this untrained eye... I'm seeing a line from the top of the 1 to the third denticle to the left... is this what you're thinking is a die crack?

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sean1990 said:
    @lkeigwin What is your opinion on this? I'll be adding more pictures when I get it in hand.

Stain or other post-mint artifact.

The O.110 obverse die was subsequently used on the O.111. So any O.110 crack should appear on the O.111but doesn't.
    Lance.

• Options

@lkeigwin You are definitely right on that! That's what I get for looking at coins too early in the morning and my wishful thinking. On the plus side I don't have a 110 in my collection yet so if there aren't any problems in hand I might just have to keep it anyway.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@astrorat said:

YIKES! You made me look again. I magnified the image and the coin is just STAINED! :(

Thank you! I appreciate the closer look and the correction.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at the magnified pictures, I agree it is a stain. Yes, it could easily be mistaken for a die crack... very deceptive.... Good pictures... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file