Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Well Fargo Double eEagles

Question.....I see a lot of MS66 Wells Fargo double eagles that seem over graded or not struck well or do not have great luster. Is this my imagination or is there some valid reason for this. I'm trying to find a good type coin MS66 double eagle but don't feel confident with a Wells Fargo gold. Any information nation would be appreciated.

JRH

Comments

• Options
    RWMRWM Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

Nothing against the coins or the grading company, but every time I see this label I think "re-established 2018." Like that's a good thing.

• Options
    RWMRWM Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    Wells Fargo Hoard ... the history:
    In the early 1990, nearly 10.000 high quality 1908 No Motto came into the market and were called the Wells Fargo Hoard.

They were untouched since 1917 and were originally designated as a WWI debt payments.
    The coins were housed in a Nevada Wells Fargo Bank.

:) You should consider a lucky one to acquire such a historic piece at a right price the Wells Fargo coin is for a keeper IMHO

I understand the pedigree and know the label ties it back to the hoard. I do love the history of these double eagles and I'm glad they survived. Just saying the label reminds me of something else.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the time the hoard was slabbed the general concencus was that they were all over graded by two points. Perhaps in the intervening years gradeflation has caught up?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2018 9:24PM

Did Wells Fargo participate in the naming and release of the hoard?

• Options

@JRH said:
    Question.....I see a lot of MS66 Wells Fargo double eagles that seem over graded or not struck well or do not have great luster. Is this my imagination or is there some valid reason for this. I'm trying to find a good type coin MS66 double eagle but don't feel confident with a Wells Fargo gold. Any information nation would be appreciated.

The 1908 No Motto $20's typically come in low relief with a somewhat "frosted" surface, unlike the 1908 With Motto and later coins. The models for both sides were revised when "IN GOD WE TRUST" was added to the reverse, and apparently a conscious decision was made at the same time to make the fields smoother.

Some people do not like their general appearance, and I can remember back in the days before the "Wells Fargo" hoard came out when many dealers used to post on their type gold buy sheets that they did not want any 1908 No Motto coins at the posted offer, or else they would post offers for the 1908 NM coins at a slightly lower price. I believe that this discount is no longer in effect.

The "Wells Fargo" coins do generally come with a rich golden toning from their long storage which, in my opinion, enhances their general appearance. It is also my opinion that some people used this enhanced eye appeal to justify the overgrading by technical standards that the "Wells Fargo" coins received. As I said elsewhere the general opinion at the time was that the typical coin had received a two-point smooch. Since that time grading standards have deteriorated.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2018 9:15AM

These are all of the Type-I design (short rays, no motto) which was a carry-over from 1907. Everything is a little "mushy" especially stars. There were 19,900 DE in the the Gillio Hoard (aka, Wells Fargo Hoard). They were authenticated and graded by PCGS and NGC.

If you want to know more, read the book "Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles as Illustrated by the Morse and Dukor Collections" (Heritage auctions, 2018. Awarded Book of the Year and Best Coin Book for 2018.)

From the book:
    "However nice the coins may look, there is also a certain stigma associated with them. Much of this is due to the volume of the hoard and its influences on collector perceptions. The coins are so commonly seen that some gold coin buyers discount Gillio/Wells Fargo Hoard coins when they are offered."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never been a provenance or hoard aficionado....Seems to add a premium that is totally unjustified - to me. I would not seek one of these out.... of course, if one showed up at melt, in a down market, I would not refuse it. Gold is good..... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    This a very fine example I would really love to add to her lowly siblings ;)

That's an excellent example!

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2018 10:34AM

The Wells Fargo Hoard I believe consist of NM only but here are the mintage comparison with the Motto

1908 NM mintage 4.271.551
    D 1908 Motto mintage 663.750

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was it REALLY a Wells Fargo hoard? From what I remember it was not a Wells Fargo hoard at all. But maybe that was just talk. From what I remember about the story/Rumor is that particular Wells Fargo Bank didn’t even exist in Reno Nevada at the time but was a hoard from like, Russia. I am sure not stating this as fact so don’t go wanting to beat me up over it :D
    Happy hunting, Joe

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

Here we go again, it's always them sneaky Russians :o:o

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    Was it REALLY a Wells Fargo hoard? From what I remember it was not a Wells Fargo hoard at all. But maybe that was just talk. From what I remember about the story/Rumor is that particular Wells Fargo Bank didn’t even exist in Reno Nevada at the time but was a hoard from like, Russia. I am sure not stating this as fact so don’t go wanting to beat me up over it :D
    Happy hunting, Joe

No offense intended but I never heard that story/rumor, I guess anything is possible.

I always heard the coins were privately owned and stored in a Wells Fargo Branch for decades. I think using the Wells Fargo name was good marketing, makes you think of the old west, but I think it is a little misleading. If my understanding is incorrect please feel free to correct me.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting discussion that I like !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2018 2:50PM

@Paradisefound said:
    The Wells Fargo Hoard I believe consist of NM only but here are the mintage comparison with the Motto

1908 NM mintage 4.271.551
    D 1908 Motto mintage 663.750

1908 Type I 2,552,063 (short rays, no motto - 1907 hubs)
    1908 Type II 1,701,988 (long rays, no motto - new obv hub, 1907 rev hub)
    1908 Type III 156,258 + 101 sandblast proof (long rays, motto - new hubs)

Please read the Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle book for research details.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ya need a story to get rid of a hoard like that.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

@crazyhounddog said:
    Happy hunting, Joe

The rumors that I heard at the time were that it came from overseas and was shipped to a Wells Fargo branch in America for temporary safekeeping.

• Options

The "Wells Fargo & Company" connection is nothing but marketing. As CaptHenway notes, the coins were held in a Wells Fargo bank branch for a few months.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love it and it's in an OGH....Gold is Golden :)

@clarke442 said:
    Not a "Wells-Fargo" but my first gold purchase back in 1997.
    I like it ... and to quote ricko
    Gold is good...

• Options

Type I

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭✭

The rate of CAC stickering is lower among the 1908 NM's than for other Saint-Gaudens DEs....but they ARE there.

A poster said some time ago that none of the MS-68 or 69's had been given a CAC bean, I believe that is still the case but maybe somebody knows for sure.

The coins in the PCGS OGH seem to be more likely to have the "luster" that many here talk about. I've seen some nice ones in MS-66. The lack of sharpness and luster -- the lousy strike -- is probably evidence of the dies getting worn rather than anything to do with the actual mechanical press, striking force, alignment, etc.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice reboot to an old thread.

Informative

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

What confuses me now is that I have seen multiple references to 2 numbers for the total number of WF DEs: 19,900 and 9,000 or 10,000 (basically half the more widely-published number).

On the one hand, all the coins were investment and mint-grade. But the totals graded don't come to anywhere near 19,900 if you add them up by grades or if you add the total from PCGS + NGC and make an allowance for double-counting. Unless close to half of the coins were below MS-63 (below which it wouldn't have paid to have the coin graded) which I never read anywhere.

If anybody has anything to add on the total number of WF DEs, please do.

• Options
    edited November 8, 2023 1:37PM

Re-reading some of my WF stuff, it does appear that the total of the 1908 No Motto Wells Fargo was 19,900 coins.

As told by Gillio to Bowers:

Before a bag was opened Gillio and his associate had to sign the register. All together there were 19,900 coins all were 1908 small rays, no motto except for a few long ray, no motto pieces. Gillio was told that the coins were originally part of an international settlement/payment of some kind in the World War I era. But no details were provided.

He (Gillio) has been very close-mouthed about ANY details on the hoard. I can understand being that way in the 1990's when it was being marketed and sold and you don't want to crater the market. I also understand that there has been some talk that maybe the hoard was MUCH LARGER than 19,900 Double Eagles -- maybe more DEs and/or other coins -- and that could have also been a factor. But it's now 25+ years since they were found/sold....however big the hoard was, every single coin had to have been sold long ago. So no market hush-hush rationale probably since 2005 if not earlier.

Back to the 19,900....if that WAS the actual count of 1908 NM's....there definitely aren't that many grading events at PCGS and/or NGC. Which means only that a good portion of the hoard of 19,900 was low-60's and/or AU quality and not worth grading given the size of the hoard. If the hoard was a few hundred coins, then even low-60's for a common date have some unique value. But not if there are almost 10,000 of the same coin in higher grades.

Again....Gillio certainly knows but hasn't confirmed to the best of my knowledge, at least not on the record or in print.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2023 11:31AM

A wholesaler friend sold me some of them (MS66) when they first came out. Many of them PQ w super luster. Retailed them at subsequent shows / they did real well. Good retail money, margin / Wallet thick with Bens. Fantastic history.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2023 9:29AM

@Cougar1978 said:
    A wholesaler friend sold me some of them (MS66) when they first came out. Many of them PQ w super luster. Retailed them at subsequent shows / they did real well. Good retail money, margin / Wallet thick with Bens. Fantastic history.

Yes, some of the MS-66's esp. with a CAC and OGH look REALLY nice. Flaming gold color....I understand why people talk about the bulk of the 1908's as not having eye appeal, lack of luster, etc....but clearly some of the originals in Gem Quality (65 or 66) do stand out.

My only caveat is that I am going by hi-res pics, not in-hand. But I'll assume the photos weren't doctored or lighting playing any tricks. I even have some of these pics somewhere; if I can find them on my PC I'll post 'em here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file