Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Some ASE toners just back from Newport Beach.

fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of pretty ones I wanted to share.

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

What kind of surface contaminant causes the "splotchy" tone", primarily the bottom two obverses?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the second one.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    What kind of surface contaminant causes the "splotchy" tone", primarily the bottom two obverses?

Some of it can be "milk spots" that sit just underneath the surface. May not be the full milk spot noticeable on an untoned coin, but I have noticed this on a few toned SAEs and that it what I attribute it to.
    The ones I have seen, full on milk spots don't tone (at least, naturally and unassisted) very well, if at all. I have not tried any induced/artificial toning, so I don't know if that would tone over milk spots, but I do know that, when left in the aftermarket holders, and getting toning like this, milk spots, or areas that are likely milk spots in waiting, will look like that.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a hard time getting them into PCGS holders
    After I sell them another dealer he submits them and guess what they all get in holders!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

ANACS will holder all of them. They might say, "MS60 - Artificial Toning" on them, but they will holder every one. I wish PCGS would do that. I personally can't believe people pay so much of a premium for "toned" ASEs - they haven't been around long enough, or stored in envelopes.

thefinn
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing... simply amazing.... B);) Cheers, RickO

• Options

@thefinn said:
    ANACS will holder all of them. They might say, "MS60 - Artificial Toning" on them, but they will holder every one. I wish PCGS would do that. I personally can't believe people pay so much of a premium for "toned" ASEs - they haven't been around long enough, or stored in envelopes.

ANACS lol.
    This ain't your Mama's 90% silver. And doesn't tone like it either.

• Options
    Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

I have a few beauties in PCI holders.... and yes, I paid over spot for them!

What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • Options

@Bankerbob56 said:
    I have a few beauties in PCI holders.... and yes, I paid over spot for them!

I have 6 of my finest PCI ASE toners in crossover right now. With Trueviews.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the cost for 6 ASE crossover and And TV.?

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool, I like them all !!! B)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! I didn't realize our host was grading these again after it over corrected across the board for moderns.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

The smooth toning on the first two are appealing.
    I think NGC still bans these from regular holders regardless of the toning/methods.

peacockcoins

• Options

@oih82w8 said:
    What kind of surface contaminant causes the "splotchy" tone", primarily the bottom > @grip said:
    What's the cost for 6 ASE crossover and And TV.?

Same cost as grading raw moderns... $150 to $160 for the 6. That is for grading and Trueviews. Shipping not included.

• Options
    AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

I think the second one is attractive.

• Options

@oih82w8 said:

I know right.
    Bottom coin obverse is unusual. Gorgeous in hand. imho

• Options

@Along said:
    I think the second one is attractive.

My hands down favorite is the top coin. Next favorite is the second coin.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I've seen, most ASE's will start off with that golden tone and then start turning that dark blue around the rims. You don't have to contaminate them with anything obvious, just a manila envelope and sunlight.

• Options
    TunisTunis Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:
    From what I've seen, most ASE's will start off with that golden tone and then start turning that dark blue around the rims. You don't have to contaminate them with anything obvious, just a manila envelope and sunlight.

I agree. It doesn’t take that long, either. I have some from the last couple of years that has the same golden tone. I want them to stop at that color, though.

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tunis said:

I agree. It doesn’t take that long, either. I have some from the last couple of years that has the same golden tone. I want them to stop at that color, though.

Remove them from the toning environment. Put them into an intercept album, a PCGS holder, or a DIY holder with the inert innards.

I've had many, over the years, that were put at display at home (I LOVE the SAEs) and in the aftermarket holders (you know the type....the "happy birthday", "merry Christmas", "Happy graduation", etc, small cardboard holders). I found they tone pretty quickly with these. Initially by accident as I had displayed a few, moved, put them away, and found them again....toned.

For the ones that started golden, if you remove them from surface contaminants and from the air just being around them, that will largely retard any continued, "accelerated", toning that they get from being so pure in the environment.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me too <3

@grip said:
    I like the second one.

• Options
    Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

My profile pic is actually still in a PCI holder and hasn't changed much at all over the years!

What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file