Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Which image is better (or, a tale of one coin with two images)

My Teutonic Taler has been very hard to image. The first two attempts (different people) were professionally done that resulted in a drab deep grey appearance that I won't even bother to offer here for comparison. The third attempt (image 1) was from me with a point-and-click camera with much better lighting setup. The fourth attempt was done by our hosts (my coin crossed recently and got a TrueView image) that I used for my own image format.

Which do you like better of the two?

Before you ask which is more faithful to the actual coin, I want to say that I cannot answer that question because I do not have the coin with me (hasn't been returned yet) and from memory it really depends on light, angle and imagination. :s

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Which image is better (or, a tale of one coin with two images)

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Image from my home setup

BTW, I should add that I am biased against the first image because of the annoying NGC prong artifacts that remain in my image.

• jgennjgenn Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Image from TrueView

I voted for the TrueView but I would really like to see your own image with more contrast. The TrueView has almost too much contrast for my taste.

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

I like the 1st pic, gosh this coin I want for my collection!

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't decide. They both look good. Great job on your pics !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Image from TrueView

I prefer the second one. The first (other than those unsightly fangs) makes the coin seem predominantly magenta. If that's not the case, it's not flattering. The TrueView has a good mix of "yes, this coin is attractively toned" and luster. It also shows the detail better due to the increased contrast.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2018 7:59PM
    Image from TrueView

Your image does either lack the proper white balance setting or the light source is not right.
    otherwise your image is super....
    I think you need to look at the item itself and decide which more "true view".

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
    Image from my home setup

The preliminary poll results so far embarrasses me. :'(

I won't be able to decide which image is more faithful until I get the coin back, but I already know that it'll be a tough call because this coin is both and neither. NYINC is five months away, and I'll show this coin to anyone who wishes to see it there.

I kind of wish that Phil had not tweaked up the contrast so much; perhaps at 2/3rd the contrast would have given the coin a softer look without sacrificing the color and detail too much. My image was through the plastic, which was tough. Also, the coin was struck on a roller press so its slightly curved. That curvature and the thick NGC plastic really made things tough for me. Phil, by contrast, only has to image a raw coin.

Does anyone know how to contact Phil? (It is still Phil, right?) Maybe I can get Phil to give me the raw, un-tweaked, obverse and reverse images in either PNG or PSD format.

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this coin must be very hard to photograph because of the “hot spots” in the fields. The lighting of the obverse in the true view looks uneven. Reach out to Phil and see if he has any alternate pics (sometimes they shoot multiple shots with different lighting). Who knows you may prefer another shot or maybe a different treatment with less contrast.

I don’t like either, meaning I think the coin is likely more attractive than either of these photos show it to be. Some coins are just really tough to represent in a photo. This frustrates me since I don’t often visit the safe deposit box.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Image from TrueView

@EVillageProwler said:
    ... Also, the coin was struck on a roller press so its slightly curved. That curvature and the thick NGC plastic really made things tough for me...

This was one thing I was wondering. Curved coins in slabs can be a real pain in the neck to image. There is a way to do it that I've had reasonable success with, especially if the NGC plastic wasn't bulged out, but it depends on the curvature of the coin within the holder, too.

Does anyone know how to contact Phil? (It is still Phil, right?) Maybe I can get Phil to give me the raw, un-tweaked, obverse and reverse images in either PNG or PSD format.

I think he's @PCGSPhoto here. As they have a department for photos now, it's not guaranteed that he took the pictures.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

Captain Picard chooses Number 1.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Image from my home setup

Sulu also voted for #1. I’m hoping that Todd can work his magic now that it’s in a PCGS slab. Or, maybe I can give it a try at home when I receive the coin back.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Image from TrueView

i like the looks of that second one.