Home Metal Detecting
Options

Under large shrubs finds

Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put on some bug spray and got under some gnarly shrubs between my backyard and another property. The little hat is bronze or copper, no markings, the painted porcelain is mounted on brass no markings, 1919 & 1925 with that nice verdigris of time in happy soil. Anyone know what figurine that hat would go with? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Comments

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

A Monopoly board game?

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options

I don't see any set that included that shape helmet. Shape reminds me of medieval soldier helmet or utility workers safety helmet. Thanks for your input

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now those are unique finds.... and yes, under border bushes - or overgrown areas - can produce interesting items. From the picture, I thought it was a derby, since helmets did not have such a wide brim. No idea where it originated... No mold marks inside?? That pin/brooch is nice.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

This afternoon I am doing a yard of a 1720's post office. I am pretty jazzed. More to follow. Peace Roy

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    This afternoon I am doing a yard of a 1720's post office. I am pretty jazzed. More to follow. Peace Roy

yes, i hope you get some wicked cool stuff to show :)

• Options

Old post office yard showing promise. Not in attached image although part of the days finds are: buggy reins guide, candle wick cutter, desk bell dome. The 1907 Liberty quarter has an O mintmark, the medal is of the 1939 Worlds fair in NYC, I'm pretty sure the stemware fragment is from England, and the 1954 quarter is just more silver. Everything was just 4" down. Dug lots of junk and it's gonna unmask other targets, so much more yard to go. Peace Roy

• Options

Impressive Roy..... looks like there could be some more good finds there... How large is the yard?? Cheers, RickO

• Options

150' x 150'. I'll take a photo and send it to you. Great building, well maintained and continuously occupied. Started as a post office in 1721. Post office still there, my friend owns the property and lives in most of the building and is a chiropractor. or
    Just found out the bordering house has an outbuilding that was the village butcher. I'm going back today even though it's heading for 95 and humid. I like to sweat. Peace Roy

• Options

Hi ricko, SLQ has no date but silver is always good. Bowser brass padlock were generally used on early gas pumps, Victorian pressed tin is all that's left of a ladies mirror. Double bit axe head was fugly rusted. An initial grind off and liquid wrench got it photogenic. Fun in the sun. Peace Roy

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Wow...interesting finds indeed...Too bad the tin was not silver... ;) Good luck today... Cheers, RickO

• Options

I sent an image of the pewter stem fragment to the Pewter society in England. This is their reply: "This looks like a spoon handle or similar fragment made by the American East Coast pewterer Luther Boardman who worked at South Reading Mass, Chester Conn, E Haddam, Conn in the 2nd & 3rd quarters of the 19th century.
    Interesting find!"
    Peace Roy

• Options

That is great. Nice to document a piece you found...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

and under another large shrubbery we find the knights who say "Ni"... interesting finds though

• Options

Thank you, reminds me I need to watch me some Monty! Peace Roy

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Hat helmet almost look Irish to me. Lucky charm maybe

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat, I like it !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also am a member of going under the old bush club! Neat finds!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Great finds. Thanks for sharing

EAC, ANA Member