Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Delete

robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 10, 2019 5:26AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Delete

Comments

• BriYo79BriYo79 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

Great thread idea.

I've actually gone the other direction and stopped putting together sets for the sake of saving space. Instead, I've been picking up blue chip rookies I couldn't afford when I was younger.

So far this year I've picked up:
    '54 Aaron
    '63 Rose
    '68 Ryan
    '86 Fleer Jordan

• Vintage boxing tickets.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    • Like you, a topps set every year ripped from packs

• continue my baseball HoF rookie collection, minimum grade per the decade (80s in 8, 70s in 7, etc)

• help my daughter with her Andrew Benintendi and David Ortiz master sets

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Havn't done to much buying this year due to life (new job, moving out, etc.) But my main collecting focuses have been PSA HOF baseball rookies, all ungraded baseball rookies from 1948-present, and slowly working on my 1963-1975 Topps sets.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭
    • continue my baseball HoF rookie collection, minimum grade per the decade (80s in 8, 70s in 7, etc)

This will be my next endeavor when I focus back on collecting, but will look to stretch that across the 4 major sports.

Currently, I am only collecting Patrick Roy inserts/graded rookies/rarities. I find it very frustrating to have such a centralized focus when I've always bought to expand my collection with no boundaries or direction.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

Signed Orioles HOF RCs. Got Brooks and Frank Robinson and Jim Palmer so far. Also a run of signed Brooks Robinson Cards from each year of his career. I have his 1st 4 cards and a couple from the 70's, filling in the gaps slowly....

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2018 2:57AM

Mickey Mantle

The last card I need for the 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos - Jack Krame ‘L’:

Yankees (HOF or retired numbers especially)

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• ArmyManArmyMan Posts: 40 ✭✭

Player sets of my favorite past and present players - Ryan, Rose ,Bench , Brett ,Schmidt , Ripken , Jeter , Rivera , C.Jones , Griffey Jr , Pujols , Cabrera , Kershaw , Trout , Altuve. The modern players I get in Gem Mint 10 , but the old school players as you know gets very pricey once you get to the 1970's. When I run out of those I still got my 1968 Topps Baseball and 1972 Topps Basketball set I'm working on in PSA 8 or better to keep me busy.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez Tim - I forgot to get back to you.

I walked the entire floor at the national and saw zero Wheaties premium photos.

Mike

Right now I'm doing the 2018 Topps Chrome set.

I'm finding the Ohtani to be harder to find in packs for some reason. Did get a few SPs tho.

And in the game board world? 2 Willie Mays games from the same company.

Mike
  • countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Uncut sheets, 80s wax boxes, occasional pickups for my various 70s and 80s baseball registry sets, upgrades for my raw 60s and 70s baseball sets, and various stadium giveaways - bobbleheads and replica statues, etc.

I'm looking forward to the release of the Heritage high series next month, also.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barry Larkin Master set, variety of golf player sets, golf HOF RCs, and too many other things to keep up with

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Barry Larkin Master set, variety of golf player sets, golf HOF RCs, and too many other things to keep up with

Larkin i saw the master is at 60 perent complete ......

@lawyer05 said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Larkin i saw the master is at 60 perent complete ......

I'm not quite at 50% yet, but hope to overtake the 60% completion before too long. I've got 3 new adds to the composite that should be up any day, 5 coming in on a sub return this week, and another 36 spread out across various piggybacks right now.

• 59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

I am from Iowa and I am starting to collect cards (RC when possible) of every major league baseball player born in Iowa.
    Jim

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Basic player Topps sets of: Yaz, Koufax, Schmidt, Carlton
    PSA 10s of Mattingly (Topps, Donruss, Fleer)
    PSA 10s of Greenwell
    Unopened wax, cello, rack from 1981-1987 (Topps, Donruss, Fleer)
    A few Nicklaus cards from the '70s
    Centered, high-grade examples of OPC Gretzky cards (have most)
    Centered, high-grade examples of OPC Bobby Clarke (have most)
    And a few specific uncut sheets

Andy

I collect PANAMA BORN PLAYERS ONLY
    Signed Baseballs I own 4 signed VIBERT CLARKE signed baseballs of every Panama Born Player
    Bats of every Panamanian Hitter
    Cards
    Modern Players only 1/1
    Their rookie cards in high grade
    High Grade on Vintage players

1 in Carew , #1 HEctor Lopez,

Game used
    i collect their contracts also

@ahopkins said:

Which ones are you looking for? I may have extras or leads on them.

@LarkinCollector said:

@ahopkins said:

PM sent

Andy

• olb31olb31 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like 1993 - 1995 Finest refractors (main 3 sports), 1996 - 1999 Atomic refractors, 87 and back opc hockey and baseball, vintage psa graded mantle, mays, aaron.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

1960s-1980s NBA, NFL, NHL Star RC and early cards
    Key MLB player early cards (Jackie, Rose)
    Non sports (1966 Batman, Horrors of War, some Dutch music cards)
    1982-83 Wrestling All Stars
    1930 Rubis Mickey Mouse cards.
    1970s/early 80s Cellos with stars on top.

• Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2018 12:24PM

Anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach and Gary Carter
    1960's-80's basketball, especially oddball and regional issues
    Bernie Williams & Curtis Martin cards through their playing careers
    Dallas Cowboys 1960-1989 ungraded cards & oddball items
    Don Meredith & Bob Hayes PSA Master sets
    Malcolm Brogdon
    Then I have a host of player collections that I go to on and off but am not as committed to as the above.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

@orioles93 said:
    Havn't done to much buying this year due to life (new job, moving out, etc.) But my main collecting focuses have been PSA HOF baseball rookies, all ungraded baseball rookies from 1948-present, and slowly working on my 1963-1975 Topps sets.

This is awesome. I did that years ago - collect all rookie cards, no matter the performance or prospect of the player - for sets in the early to mid 80s. There may have been some idea of striking gold with an unknown rookie down the line, but the bigger reason was I Just thought it was plain cool that someone (me) collected what represented the achievement of someones dream - making the bigs - even if he only played 50 MLB games before washing out. If a major card company made you a card, I was going to have your first. Unfortunately, its a bigger project than you might think and went by the wayside as collecting focus narrowed.

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    Right now I'm doing the 2018 Topps Chrome set.

I'm finding the Ohtani to be harder to find in packs for some reason. Did get a few SPs tho.

And in the game board world? 2 Willie Mays games from the same company.

Mike - let me know what you are missing on Topps Chrome. We have cracked several boxes from retail and hobby and you can have extras for your set.

KC

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Current focus for me is Johnny Bench master set, Kareem Abdul Jabbar basic set, Willie Mays basic and Johnny Unitas. Almost finished with the Wille Mays and Unitas runs.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBrules said:
    Current focus for me is Johnny Bench master set, Kareem Abdul Jabbar basic set, Willie Mays basic and Johnny Unitas. Almost finished with the Wille Mays and Unitas runs.

Just Willie cards or all manner of Willie?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• GilbeyGilbey Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

Working on the T205 set, 77 yankee game used bats, and Thurman Munson basic set upgrades. Also going to start my Bucky Dent basic set in the upcoming weeks.

• markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

@BriYo79 said:
    Great thread idea.

I've actually gone the other direction and stopped putting together sets for the sake of saving space. Instead, I've been picking up blue chip rookies I couldn't afford when I was younger.

So far this year I've picked up:
    '54 Aaron
    '63 Rose
    '68 Ryan
    '86 Fleer Jordan

@BriYo79 said:
    Great thread idea.

Space can be a real,problem, particularly if you have a lot of graded cards.

• JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Mostly these guys:

-Alex Bregman
    -Mike Trout
    -Nolan Arenado
    -Greg Maddux
    -Eddie Murray

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Main focus:

Complete 62 Post Set, all PSA graded. I’m about 3/4 there.
    Finish 58 Braves in PSA 8. Missing only Johnson (78).
    Get last three 63s in PSA 8. Missing 2 tough commons and one easy one.

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2018 4:29PM

@LarkinCollector said:

@ahopkins said:

Haha this is great.. I’m trying to pop a 9-10 on the 71 as we speak. Love Jack!

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

My current focus is in building a 1954 Topps set in lower-to-mod grade. I purchased a lot of 115 very early this year and I'm down to needing seven cards for the complete set. I do like that some of the earlier Topps sets are small in number (the '54 set is 250 cards in total).
    After this set, I'm considering a set near and dear to my childhood collecting days: 1972 Topps.

Daniel
  • VoteDizzyVoteDizzy Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

Mark Messier, Patrick Marleau, a handful of pro wrestlers and anything Dizzy Gillespie.

Hockey - Hrdina - Thunderbirds
    Wrestling - Danielson - Storm - Tajiri
  • prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    • Graded Dallas Cowboys rookies from the All-time, Ring of Honor and Hall of Fame Dallas Cowboys sets.
    • Graded player runs of Doomsday Defense era defensive players - Bob Lilly, Chuck Howley, Mel Renfro, Lee Roy Jordan, Cornell Green, Harvey Martin, Cliff Harris and Randy White.
    • Raw football sets: 1963, 1968 and 1969 Topps; 1964, 1965, 1966 and 1967 Philadelphia gum.
    • Graded Dallas Cowboys team sets: 1968 and 1969 Topps, 1972 Sunoco stamps, 1993 Skybox Impact (with Super Bowl XXVII backdrop), 1992 Fleer Gameday tall boys.

I also collect 1960's and 1970's Dave Campbell's "Dallas Cowboys Season Outlook" magazines.

@59Horsehide said:
    I am from Iowa and I am starting to collect cards (RC when possible) of every major league baseball player born in Iowa.
    Jim

Cool idea Jim.

Mike

Mike - let me know what you are missing on Topps Chrome. We have cracked several boxes from retail and hobby and you can have extras for your set.

KC

Thanx Keith! Haven't done the final collation yet. As said - I can't believe I only found 1 Ohtani RC!

Mike
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@JBrules said:

Just Willie cards or all manner of Willie?

Just his basic Topps, Fleer, Bowman cards at this point.

@addicted2ebay said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@ahopkins said:

Haha this is great.. I’m trying to pop a 9-10 on the 71 as we speak. Love Jack!

Good luck, that's about the best centering I've seen on one! Even a 9 would be sweet.

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a complete disgrace. My collecting focus is less sniper and more Uzi. At any given moment, I'm hunting for:

• PSA 10 1990 Donruss errors
    • 1969-1979 Topps HOF basketball
    • Star basketball
    • 1990s Griffey cards
    • 2007 Turkey Red refractors
    • 1990s current and future basketball HOF rookie cards
    • 1990s NFL current and future HOF rookie cards
    • 1948 Leaf boxing color variations
    • 1936 Dimaggio
    • T213
    • Morrell Meats
    • W502 rare backs
    • W575-2
    • Topps reprint refractors
    • Pinnacle Starburst
    And recently I've become enamored with S74 silks and Piedmont Stamps.

I need professional help.

Arthur

@ReggieCleveland said:
    I'm a complete disgrace. My collecting focus is less sniper and more Uzi. At any given moment, I'm hunting for:

• Star basketball
    • 1990s Griffey cards
    • 1936 Dimaggio
    • T213
    • Morrell Meats
    • W502 rare backs
    • W575-2
    • Pinnacle Starburst

Arthur

lol

• dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

1986 Fleer basketball PSA 9. Two cards left will be done 1-2 weeks.

• yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

Baseball and Football - late 50s, 60s, and early 70s

@ReggieCleveland said:

• Star basketball
    • 1990s Griffey cards
    • 1936 Dimaggio
    • T213
    • Morrell Meats
    • W502 rare backs
    • W575-2
    • Pinnacle Starburst

Arthur

I love the range, Arthur.

Andy

• BruceinGaBruceinGa Posts: 268 ✭✭
    edited September 1, 2018 6:40PM

@ReggieCleveland said:
    I'm a complete disgrace. My collecting focus is less sniper and more Uzi.

Arthur

When you find a good psychiatrist send him my way!
    I now or have collected M114 player posters, T205's, T206's 5's or better, M116 psa 6 or better,1958 Hires with tabs, 60 and 61 topps, 70 and 73 Kelloggs, assorted 50's Bowman and now prewar hof psa/dna postcards. I've also thrown in some recent hofers graded psa 10.
    I hope my wife doesn't read this!