Home U.S. Coin Forum

PayPal is just so much less Painful

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2.9% hit is just part of doing business.

It sure beats running to the post office 5 times parcel in handl over the course of 12 days looking for a slow to arrive check.

Thanks for letting me vent as I feel somewhat better now! :cold_sweat:

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like pay pal and do not mind paying the fee. A long time ago before I started using paypal I accepted checks or
    money orders for stuff I would on flea bay and it was such a pain in the butt operating like this when I finally started
    to accept paypal only I was very relieved.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah this is starting to smell like a 30+ day deal as the check is lost in the Postal Orifice.

Like when the Pony Express riders horse died :*

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

when I buy I use a credit card that pays 2 percent cash back, so when I sell it's much less painful to pay the fee

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. I used to have to go the the bank EVERY DAY to cash checks and money orders and wait for the checks to clear before I could ship. Now - everything is in my bank and in the mail in 24 hours or less.

True story: last week, I had someone contact me with an offer for a coin but told me that he didn't use PayPal but would send check or money order. I turned down the offer just because he WASN'T using PayPal. Now, I know what you're all thinking: but, Joe (that's my name), you chose to pay 3% when you didn't have to. It's true, BUT it was a hot item and I knew it would sell in a couple days anyway and I didn't want to wait around for the check to arrive/clear so I could ship. And, it ended up selling for the full ask, so that more than offset the little 3% fee.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is also great on the buying end if the item is not as described or not sent.

thefinn
  • PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

I agree, especially when we're talking about somebody I don't know (as on ebay). But if I know somebody is good for a check, I'd happily avoid the fee (especially on high end coins).

EAC, ANA Member
  • chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

I have a paypal account but rarely use it......I am that jerk that still wants to use checks.....I also have never used a cell phone

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't own a cell phone either but I fully embrace most other 21st century conveniences. Paypal is one of those.

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Their seller protection is awesome.

Best customer service Ever.

Paypal has covered me for thousands of fraudulent transactions.

Have you really had over one thousand fraudulent transactions? If you have, I'd bet they would dump you like a hot rock.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2018 3:59PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

same here, last one was a $1500 chargeback as a seller.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Have you really had over one thousand fraudulent transactions? If you have, I'd bet they would dump you like a hot rock.

Not thousands of fraudulent translations, but maybe two grand in fraudulent charges from maybe 5 bad apples.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    Paypal is the greatest thing since sliced bread! Being able to print a shipping label at home is another great attribute!

That's true even when the label that you're printing didn't involve using PP for other than to pay for the postage.

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Cameonut said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Not thousands of fraudulent translations, but maybe two grand in fraudulent charges from maybe 5 bad apples.

Thanks for the clarification as that is a major difference in interpretation. Some on this board do thousands in a single transaction on a regular basis. I hope you will try to be clearer in the future.

Maybe I have been lucky. I have had zero fraudulent transactions.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

edited August 26, 2018 5:50PM

@Cameonut said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Cameonut said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Thanks for the clarification as that is a major difference in interpretation. Some on this board do thousands in a single transaction on a regular basis. I hope you will try to be clearer in the future.

Maybe I have been lucky. I have had zero fraudulent transactions.

I had one. Bought some tix on CL. Seller didn't deliver. Got my $$ back. Don't know if PP or the seller coughed up the $$$. Just bought some more and ate the fee and paid with PP.

Have not had one as a seller.

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a lot of business with foreign to the US buyers. They see the items on ebay or whatever, buy using paypal, and both of us are covered, and it is done in a few seconds.

Great boost to sales.

@koynekwest said:
    Paypal is the greatest thing since sliced bread! Being able to print a shipping label at home is another great attribute!

You can do the same with Click n Ship or stamps.com and maybe smoe others.

@BAJJERFAN said:

@koynekwest said:

Why?

Paypal has all the shipping info.

It is seamless from ebay (for now)

So easy. The time savings are well worth it.

edited August 27, 2018 7:04AM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@koynekwest said:

Why?

There are other sales besides eBay. I was merely pointing out that there is more than one way to print a shipping label from home. Does ebay/PP accomodate regional rate boxes? When I sent some silver eagles the other day I used www.paypal.com/shipnow, but I could have just as easily used Click n Ship.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

For a while, I used PayPal for shipping some things, USPS for shipping others, then USPS started charging retail for online purchases, so it was PayPal for most, but their service was clumsy and buggy, and they never handled Padded Flat Rate Envelopes, didn't allow choosing Signature Confirmation on Express Mail, and didn't support Regional Rate boxes. Now everything goes through ShippingEasy, which offers everything you can get at the PO at Commercial Base prices (Commercial Plus if you pay a monthly fee) except for Registered Mail. For that, I decorate boxes with stamps I buy at 70c on the dollar. If you have a UPS or FedEx account, it also integrates with those, and supposedly can integrate with eBay as well. Their shipping labels print 4 to a sheet if you want, too. The only think I use the USPS website for now is ordering shipping supplies.

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@koynekwest said:

Why?

There are other sales besides eBay. I was merely pointing out that there is more than one way to print a shipping label from home. Does ebay/PP accomodate regional rate boxes? When I sent some silver eagles the other day I used www.paypal.com/shipnow I could have just as easily used Click n Ship.

You can actually print shipping labels directly thru PayPal regardless of where the sale is made.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

edited August 27, 2018 9:37AM

@tommy44 said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@koynekwest said:

Why?

There are other sales besides eBay. I was merely pointing out that there is more than one way to print a shipping label from home. Does ebay/PP accomodate regional rate boxes? When I sent some silver eagles the other day I used www.paypal.com/shipnow I could have just as easily used Click n Ship.

You can actually print shipping labels directly thru PayPal regardless of where the sale is made.

Absolutely

@tommy44 said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@koynekwest said:

Why?

Pretty sure that I said that and even gave a link for doing that. There are limits as messydesk described.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am thankful every time I see the option for Paypal - ing when I get to check out process with online merchant; one less time to provide my CC :)
    It's the easiest 2-3 clicks to complete a transaction.

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@tommy44 said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@koynekwest said:

Why?

Pretty sure that I said that and even gave a link for doing that. There are limits as messydesk described.

My problem is I type to slow. Both you and @messydesk beat me to the post. :)

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chumley said:
    I have a paypal account but rarely use it......I am that jerk that still wants to use checks.....I also have never used a cell phone

Have a Medical Emergency without a Phone nearby and you will have one on your body forever after.
    Mine is about a foot from my keyboard now.

@LindeDad said:

@chumley said:

Have a Medical Emergency without a Phone nearby and you will have one on your body forever after.
    Mine is about a foot from my keyboard now.

I have dumb flip phone. The other day I called a number and a believe the recorded message said that it was a text only number. Does that make sense?

@Paradisefound said:
    I am thankful every time I see the option for Paypal - ing when I get to check out process with online merchant; one less time to provide my CC :)
    It's the easiest 2-3 clicks to complete a transaction.

I usually do the same as well too!

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

>

Does ebay/PP accommodate regional rate boxes?

Yes, it is one of the option. I use a lot of RR boxes, as I sell stuff that is heavy and small. I order REgional Rate A's by the 50 count. Shipping out 4 today. For example, a pair of 1967 Ford V8 front hubs. Basically, large cast iron circles, box weighs 14 pounds, cost about $7 and change.

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

I couldn't agree with you more. Payapl is the only way to go.

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

PayPal is terrific. When they decide to increase their cut above 2.9% they will become less terrific.

I also like the feature where you can transfer funds near-instantly into your linked debit account for a tiny .25C fee.

For those of you who have had a 21 day hold on their money does the hold really last 21 days?

@BAJJERFAN said:
    For those of you who have had a 21 day hold on their money does the hold really last 21 days?

Regular long-time customer rarely get a hold and ONE phone call will release the funds.

I have not had a Hold in years.

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

Regular long-time customer rarely get a hold and ONE phone call will release the funds.

I have not had a Hold in years.

I only have the recipients word that his funds had a hold. He refunded the payment and would prefer the gift. I think I'll pass.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use PayPal for buying items.... secure and no problems. I have even (on occasion) agreed to pay the 3% fee for the seller. Cheers, RickO

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Update:

Buyers 1st check mailed missing in action for weeks and 2nd check sent out after 30 days both arrived on Saturday. The bar code on the first which USPS prints on the envelope when sorting was multi stamped and smeared which apparently based on what a clerk mentioned suspended it in limbo.

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm too cheap to use auction companies or PayPal.
    Even an $1.00 ATM fee will make my head explode.

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy and use Paypal.

I do not enjoy and have gotten rid of my cellphone (two years now without and the freedom is wonderful!)

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Agree using a 2% card really helps. Much easier than a check.

If you don't have a 2% cash back card they are the best.

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

For selling I prefer to take check but if buyer wants to use PayPal I am ok with that. For buying I prefer to use PayPal because it save time.

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone talk about PayPal fee is only 2.9 but I know I pay about 4%. So I finally did a google on PayPal fee. I got charged on 4.4% plus a fix fee because I sell to outside USA a lot. LOL.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file