Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is there any machine doubling to beat this?

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a 1937 D Buffalo Nickel with extreme machine doubling. I've not seen any with this strong a feature. Show me a better one.
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a good one, I have a proof silver Ike somewhere that the reverse is pretty good but not like that

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeowza!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Close...

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

That's great Rocco.

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a cool coin in that the extreme MD is very localized.
    Look at the whole coin

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

You would probably need to look at some early European thalers struck on a screw press to beat that amount of offset.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2018 8:04AM

Try this one - a 1909-O half eagle:

There is also a 1921 Peace dollar with strongly doubled profile and left-obverse lettering.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool stuff. i have a few state quarters that have machine doubling like that but not to that extreme :)

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Besides MD, there are a few actual doubled dies found on our incuse coins. I think I recall at least one of the dates in the $2 1/2 series but I'm not going to post anything that may be in error.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great Post! Nice pics. Our newer members should all take a look at this post.

Sadly, no one under 2400 posts has replied as of yet.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reply. I see it clearly, good example of md. Very educational. Thanks.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not that obvious but thought it was cool.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes! We need to see md like that. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 2003D Sac that has nice doubling, but not that strong. I have saved it cause I thought it unusual with modern minting practices.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW!

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Pete

I decided to post and I'm under 2400 posts. Lol

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Pete

I decided to post and I'm under 2400 posts. Lol

(cough...afford...cough..cough

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Besides MD, there are a few actual doubled dies found on our incuse coins. I think I recall at least one of the dates in the $2 1/2 series but I'm not going to post anything that may be in error.

Yes. There are a few $5 and $2.50 Indian doubled dies, but the mechanical doubling pictured is visually more dramatic. :)

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't it funny how one area can be like that and the rest of the coin is normal! How does that happen! Doesn't the WHOLE coin have to move at the same time!!

• Options
    edited August 26, 2018 6:02PM

There's a general description in From Mine to Mint.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins!

• Options
    sjcoinssjcoins Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

• Options
    sjcoinssjcoins Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are extreme examples in the OP... very good instructional thread for new collectors. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many specimens of the 1916 doubled die obv 5c show additional machine doubling, like this one-

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a really good one ya have there Jim. Pretty cool alright B)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't look like MD to me.

• Options

It is.

• Options

Here is an example of the same variety without the additional machine doubling. Both images are courtesy of Heritage auctions.

• Options

Darn.....You leave those machines alone for just one night and look what they do.....tsk, tsk.

;)

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had an unc 1873 shield nickel with dramatic machine doubling and a minor rpd that howards graciously attributed and photographed for me, but I sold it and misplaced the photo.
    So this will have to do:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2018 4:06AM

Now that's alright, Greg. Thanks for sharing. Weird that the crown did not show evidence of shifting.
    Jim

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a number of Bust $1/2 with strong profile MD

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pics posted here, thanks all for sharing them. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

I think you have me beat, Jim. But the entire obverse of the stellar 16-d has machine doubling.
    Great thread idea B)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

@Insider2 said:

Yes. There are a few $5 and $2.50 Indian doubled dies, but the mechanical doubling pictured is visually more dramatic. :)

Helped by the fact that on the incused design elements, when distinguishing between strike doubling and die doubling, the rules about split serifs, notched corners, and smashed, shelf-like doubling are reversed from what we're used to on raised design elements.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

MD or not that 16D Nickel has glow in the dark luster.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

@sellitstore said:
    MD or not that 16D Nickel has glow in the dark luster.

It’s a 66+. Thanks :)

• Options
    bugbitbugbit Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Pete

It is a great post

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a 1919 Mercury Dime that I found just before I found the actual DDO.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Here is a 1937 D Buffalo Nickel with extreme machine doubling. I've not seen any with this strong a feature. Show me a better one.
    Jim

Don't know if it's better. But it has quadruple doubling.
    Lance.

• Options

Bob, you win hands down. Never seen one near that. I try to collect them when they are extreme, just for fun. Lance, that is pretty cool, too. Dang, Bob that's unreal. Thanks for sharing everyone.
    Jim

• Options
    bugbitbugbit Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    t
    this?

That one is making me dizzy

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file