Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2018 Recipient of the ANA’s Numismatist of ten Year Award Gives Away Free Gold

Yes, you read the title correctly. David McCarthy (@regulated ), who won this year's ANA Numismatist of the Year award, is doing the largest coin-related giveaway on Instagram to date.

I must take my ten seconds of fame to say my HUGE congratulations to David on this award. I can't think of anybody who deserves it more than you.

As many of us know, David identified the 1783 Plain Obverse Quint as the very first coin to be struck under the governing rule of the United States of America. Researching what he thought to be a groundbreaking numismatic discovery for nearly five years certainly paid off.

Joe Paonessa struck two pieces on gold, two pieces on silver, and seven hundred fifty pieces on white metal using hand-engraved dies on a real screw press. David is planning on giving away one struck on gold, one struck on silver, and ten runner-up winners will receive one struck on white metal.

The link to the giveaway is below. I urge everybody to enter.

Comments

• Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2018 10:09AM

Great image- I haven’t seen that one anywhere else yet.

Hard to believe no one responded to this thread when it was posted! I wish I had seen it then.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did we miss this post?? I would think many of us would have commented. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    How did we miss this post?? I would think many of us would have commented. Cheers, RickO

@tychojoe said:
    Great image- I hadn’t that anywhere else yet.

Hard to believe no one responded to this thread when it was posted! I wish I had seen it then.

It is a shame. Especially since this giveaway is long finished with. @Regulated told me though that more giveaway's might be done in the future, not sure on which social platform.

• Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2018 10:48AM

That giveaway was cool - even reading about it after the fact! What a generous and cool thing to share!
    And it’s nice to know that he had a bunch of the white metal coins struck before the reverse die was cancelled. There’s hope one of those could be obtained someday! Beautiful coin and great stories along with it.

I realize now how I must have missed this post: long days at work for a 2-week stretch!

Anyway, I missed the whole 2017 announcement of @Regulated ‘s discovery, too.

I only started to catch up after @ilikemonsters posted the link to a historical documentary that the winner of the gold coin made for a class - which is a 6-minute tour-de-force ->

https://youtu.be/0bVMPYc17rc

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

You ain't kidding! There had to be some sort of glitch and it wasn't showing up. NO WAY would we have not commented on this!!!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2018 12:55PM

They all look great and I would love to have any of them. Of course, the gold looks amazing!

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

I believe there was another thread about it.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:

@ricko said:

I believe there was another thread about it.

There was not to my knowledge.

• Options

@ricko said:

I'm guessing everybody missed it because I created the thread past midnight EST, and did not bump it the morning after. Could've been my mistake. Let's look forward to future giveaways!

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Ah yes, I remember that. I don't think another thread was posted on the forums about his contest before it ended. Next time I'll do my best to post during the day..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file