Home Precious Metals
Options

I'm just asking..............about buying gold/silver at spot ???

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see it said over and over again to** "Buy as close to spot as you can"
As the prices fluctuate, sometimes greatly, and you buy hoping the price is higher when you sell...........does paying a premium, especially for American Eagles, really have that much of a role in your decision to buy?

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    I see it said over and over again to** "Buy as close to spot as you can"
    As the prices fluctuate, sometimes greatly, and you buy hoping the price is higher when you sell...........does paying a premium, especially for American Eagles, really have that much of a role in your decision to buy?

https://www.providentmetals.com/90-junk-silver-us-coins-1-face-value-715-troy-ounces.html

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think right now is a great time to buy as the gold price is at or near the bottom, right now I am picking up $20 st gaudens at near spot. I don't buy much modern gold

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

It absolutely has a factor in my decision to purchase. I'll buy gold below spot, but how much below will determine whether I pull the trigger or not !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

I'm just saying.............you buy it below spot today and the price drops ?
    You buy for a premium today and the price rises ?

I just can not, at this point in my life, let a few dollars on a multi dollar purchase really make me decide to buy or not.
    I think dollar cost averaging is the best idea but it is harder to do if you are always watching the price :smile:
    JMHO

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018 5:01PM

You will typically get a higher if not equal premium when you sell if you are selling in a stable or rising market. While premium is affected by quality of the product it also indicates it is more sought after. This makes selling it later much easier. I will always pay the extra premium for a product that I feel will bring more buyers when it comes time to sell.

I usually buy my gold and silver eagles on ebay but only when I can earn a 10% ebay bonus bucks rebate. While the bullion category is excluded from ebay bucks you can find them in other categories where they earn the rebate.

I also do not turn down a good price on gold buffalos or .9999 10 oz. Royal Canadian Mint silver bars.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

Sound advice, thanks @derryb

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paying a premium reduces overall quantity. I believe more is better. No premiums for me.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    oldstandardoldstandard Posts: 387 ✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018 9:38PM

Right now our coin store is selling 100 oz bars at spot I buy them I would hold off on the over priced Eagles for now. if you do not have a serious bullion dealer near you and you have mileage and gas to add in then I understand the premium via internet . This year will not be the low so you can buy down in 2019 when the low comes in, 2019 will be the year of the panic seller gold will test the 1000 mark and most likely but brief be at the $900 level either way you will not go wrong at these levels no matter what and one world event changes everything so it good to stack right now for the unknown,

• Options

gold is not going down to 900/ounce next year

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    gold is not going down to 900/ounce next year

Gold might not go to $900 if it does it will be brief but the 2015 lows will be tested for sure gold of $1050 silver of $13.50 if you are following what is starting right now a lower low will be coming, gold will go under $1100 with in a year for sure

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2018 5:38AM

comment removed, venting.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those that do not have gold or silver, now is a good time to get some....if buying close to, or at, melt. It may go a tad lower, no one knows for sure....However, we can safely assume PM's will go up in the future....how much and when is the mystery. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

he fall and winter months are always bullish for pm's. it cost over 1,000 dollars to pull gold out of the ground. Recycled gold won't be enough to supply the u.s. mint and the Jewelry makers and miners will not even bother pulling it out the ground at 1,050 or less. the lowest I see it going is 1,130 and I don't see it going that low either

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good points made.

• Options
    edited August 23, 2018 2:36PM

I think at these le> @coinpalice said:

he fall and winter months are always bullish for pm's. it cost over 1,000 dollars to pull gold out of the ground. Recycled gold won't be enough to supply the u.s. mint and the Jewelry makers and miners will not even bother pulling it out the ground at 1,050 or less. the lowest I see it going is 1,130 and I don't see it going that low either

yes them are good months for metals but when things change it does not matter what is normal the low in 2015 was December. I do not think it will go under $1100 this year but it will next year it will, but lets watch overseas they are at the edge not sure how fast things will move this time but no matter what it is a good time to buy even if it goes lower.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2018 7:30AM

Different forms of precious metals have different buy-sell spreads, and different premiums. The buy-sell spread is not the same as a premium. Both the buy-sell spreads and the premiums vary with the market as the market fluctuates up & down.

When you buy, there is no good predictor for what the spreads and premiums are going to be when you decide to sell. Sometimes the spreads will shrink, and sometimes they will widen. Sometimes the premiums will increase and sometimes the premiums will decrease.

The best approach is always to shop around - both when buying and when selling. If you're into market analysis and are good at it, you might benefit from tracking spreads & premiums but for the most part you are better off just buying what you like and getting a good deal based on the current pricing from various sources.

P.S. - it's also a good idea to cultivate sources that are both above board and reliable when buying and/or selling.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pay the little extra for quality.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar