Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Got my first Dansco album. Why did I wait so long?!

SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

I decided to order the Dansco Lincoln Cents 1909-2009 w/Proofs album 8100. I’ve always had my Lincoln cents in Whitman folders which were fine, but I wanted something nicer, with more coin requirements, that would better protect the more expensive dates when I acquire them.

After unpacking the album and transferring all of my coins over from the folders, I’ve gone and ordered the Shield Cents with Proofs follow up album already!

I wish I’d ordered these earlier!

I’m doing them in mostly F, VF, and XF grades so that my inherited coins and pocket found coins will blend in nicely. Obviously the newest years will be higher grade since they’ve been in circulation far less but that’s ok. Gives a nice overall look with examples up to proof. I know I could buy common dates in much higher grades, but it would look silly to have all theses bright shiny pennies and then VF Key’s.

Who else uses the Dansco albums? Post some images!

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

Comments

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did this years ago. Looked really cool. Today all the proofs are ugly. They don't do well in this type of album, long term.

Larry

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use 'em exclusively.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Upgrade from Whitman folders. Better, but copper especially zincolns need an airtight environment.

• Options

@ldhair thanks for the info. I’ve never had proofs before really. This album only does 1974 to current, so nothing of great value I don’t think.

@koynekwest You’ve had good luck I assume?

@Smudge If I was investing more money on high grade coins I’d probably go slabbed.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes-I've had good luck.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a Whitman album of Lincoln cents (with window slides like the Dansco). I agree that matching adjacent coins and transitioning slowly to BU looks great. I would caution against getting the albums with proofs. My album has spaces for them and I searched hard to find really nice examples but pretty much all of them are tarnished now (and not in a good way). Also, you will have to keep up with buying them every year vs. just pulling nice coins from pocket change or rolls.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some old albums... still have empty holes in some. Just got away from that years ago. I should pull them out and fill the missing holes...Maybe a winter project. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to encourage you to upgrade some of the coins you have
    If I may suggest a few? Here is a list that don't cost that much.
    low grade Unc or Au with some red and luster:
    1909 VDB
    common date Philly cents atarting with 1910 to 1940.
    The Lincoln cents from 1941 to and inc the 1958 All mints in nice RB raw are less than $5.00 each
    By doing it slowly over a period of time it easy and painless.
    and as you do this you will have a sense of success that is great.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

@david3142 I hadn’t heard about the proof problem before this thread. I know toning can happen, but as I’ve already got the album I guess I’ll seee what happens. At least they’re inexpensive dates, not fancy wheats.

@ricko Winter? Aren’t you in Texas? Your winter is like Ike’s my winter in SoCal :D Yes you should finish those up and complete them!

@PTVETTER Thank you for your thoughts! I go back and forth on this. I can see the benefit of buying the best examples that I can, especially the ones you have recommended as they’re in a price poin I can afford. My worry is that it’s going to take me a lot of time and saving just to purchase a 1909s vdb, 1922 no D, and to a lesser extent the 1914 D in a VF grade. Getting them in even higher grades like AU will probably be beyond my budget which means I’ll have a set of fancy common pennies with a couple lower grade expensive ones. I guess that isn’t a terrible thing, I’m just on the fence with it. I also have 25 or so inherited wheats that my great grandfather had saved which are all in G or F grades. He wasn’t a collector he just held onto them. I’ve incorporated them into this set as well. I wouldn’t be against pulling most of them out for better upgrades I guess. I just can’t decide!

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still use blue Whitman's for fun stuff and Danscos for my better stuff.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SiriusBlack...No, I am not in Texas.... However, I did live in Houston for a couple of years...I am in the Northeast now. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ldhair said:
    I did this years ago. Looked really cool. Today all the proofs are ugly. They don't do well in this type of album, long term.

I had a nice 43 steel cent that is now rusted in my 7070. It took almost 20 years, but it's rusted now.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love picking through my change, and "filling" Dansco albums! I think I have one for all current coinage....and a few "nearly classic" designs. (Frankies and Morgans).

There's some sort of "purity" to collecting at random this way. In the last couple of weeks, I found 1939 and 1954-S Jefferson Nickels to add, and the joy almost matches the thrill of an auction win. :)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

ive gotten a few over the years and am glad i did as well. no hard feelings doing that either :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file