Home Sports Talk
Options

Is Tom Brady the best old athlete, ever?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

...at 41.

Opinion of a local radio host a few minutes ago.

I have to think about this for a bit.

Comments

• Options

A few baseball players come to mind, but one has to evaluate the possibility/probability of PED's

Damn MLB.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady is loaded up with ped's too

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd put my money on George Blanda. He could throw for a touchdown, then kick the extra point. Played 26 seasons and retired at 48. When you say Raiders, this is the guy I think of.

thefinn
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering he took his team to the Super Bowl and broke nearly every single game Super Bowl passing record for at the age of 40 I’d say Tom Brady is in the conversation. He is certainly the best QB ever

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Considering he took his team to the Super Bowl and broke nearly every single game Super Bowl passing record for at the age of 40 I’d say Tom Brady is in the conversation. He is certainly the best QB ever

I agree that Brady is the best Patriots QB ever and I'm including the Boston Patriots.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bartolo Colon

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Julio Franco?

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

Just thought of another one. Minnie Minoso.

Ralph

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

George Foreman (although Brady is probably not far behind).

• Options

Keith Richards

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Jimmy Connors

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

Satchel Paige

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sort of funny that George Blanda was mentioned. I remember a Happy Days episode when Richie and his dad were watching a Bears-Packers game on TV. Blanda came into the game as the Bears QB. And I cannot remember what was said exactly but it was something along the lines of... Never heard of him... He won't amount to anything...The episode probably aired shortly after Blanda retired.

I am very reluctant to say best old athlete ever.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Gordie Howe

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Gordie Howe

We have a winner

• Options

Huge congrats to Coinstartled and bronco2078 on the engagement announcement.

I think it's so sweet that they've said that whether it's a boy or a girl, they are going to name their first child Mickey.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Gordie Howe

Yeah, it's Gordie without a doubt. The guy had 96 points when he was 49. Yeah, it was in the WHA where scoring was easier but still...96 points.

• Options

Figured we could get you aboard, Tabe.

:)

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

someone beat me to it but I would say George Blanda.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Figured we could get you aboard, Tabe.

:)

I might be biased but I'm also right :) LOL.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually lots of names in this thread, I didn’t realize there were that many players North of 40.

• Options

Let's wait until Brady is in his mid to late 40s before we compare him to others in their mid to late 40s.

Ralph

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Football is a really rough sport, and Brady has been remarkably durable. If he can continue to play on a high level for another couple of years, I think that he will rank ahead of most all of the guys members have mentioned here.

George Blanda was remarkable in that he could sill play pro football at age 48. He threw his last touchdown pass at age 47. Still he was in a back-up role at that time.

Blanda was certainly one of the greatest “straight on” classic place (not soccer style) kickers. I remember seeing him hit one from around the 50 yard line in the early 1960s. Of course the official length was about 50 yards because the goal posts were at the front of the endzone at that time.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

"If that rookie Tenace can just hit .245 or lower for his career, he's destined to be one of the all time greats."
    Says a very young Dallas actuary in 1970. At that time Dallas hadn't quite formulated his theorem that
    walks are the most important stat in baseball, all he knew was that the lower the batting average, the better the player.

• Options

@1970s said:
    The beloved Dallas Does Dallas has gone MIA ever since he guessed that Gene Tenace is better then Buster Posey. Dallas88 has cashed in his chips, taken his losses, and moved over to the Happy Days forum, a forum where he is much better suited. He is currently debating how Chachi was better then Potsie because Potsie was only able to get Joannie once. If you care to visit that thread, you will see that grote15 is liking his posts exactly 2 seconds after Dallas finishes writing them.

Happy days, yikes now you have opened a can of worms. Who is better , Al or Arnold?

I stand with mr miyagi

• Options

Mrs Cunningham is hot.

Yea, don't tell me...you know you're getting old when ya start thinking that Mrs. Cunningham is hot. :|

• Options

@stevek said:
    Mrs Cunningham is hot.

Yea, don't tell me...you know you're getting old when ya start thinking that Mrs. Cunningham is hot. :|

I had a thing for opies girlfriend Laurie Beth.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:
    Mrs Cunningham is hot.

I had a thing for opies girlfriend Laurie Beth.

She was perfectly cast for Richie.

I hate it when TV show male characters date women in their TV shows, way above and beyond what that character would get in real life. For example some of the hot women George Costanza used to go out with. In a real life, a George wouldn't get the time of day from many of those women he dated. Damit, if you're going to have a short, bald, ugly character in your TV show, then he should be dating homely looking, overweight women. ;)

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

George Blanda was remarkable

what was really remarkable about Blanda was that he kicked and also had to be ready as QB if needed. when that happened he was able to rise to the occasion and be better than average, not an easy task. another player of his ilk is old timer Lou "the toe" Groza from the Cleveland Browns. he played the first half or his career as not only the kicker but an offensive tackle in Paul Browns messenger service, though that was most often a guard. Groza retired in 1968 at the age of 44 after 21 years and held most kicking records at the time. he was an easy HOF'er. I watched him play in Cleveland his last four years and he could still send a kickoff out of the endzone, 70+ yards straight on.