Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Neat little golden dime, untouched for 40+ years

CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was chopping up some mint sets today to harvest the Ike's for my daughters album and came across this little beauty. It was the only one in the set with any toning. It's such a pleasing light golden tone I thought it worth sharing. Not bad condition either from what I can see but I know nothing of Rosies. What do you figure it grades, 64ish?

Comments

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2018 10:19AM

Looks like a 5 at least to my eye. 4 would be about the lowest I'd expect.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pleasing patina

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It really does look like gold....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet, I like it !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen worse in 66 holders.
    1977 is a very difficult yr to get into a FB holder in any grade. You have a stellar dime there. It looks to have FB from where I'm sitting except for the couple small hits on the right side of the lower bands. If it were to go 4FB or higher, you will easily double ur $$$.

I would send it in to see what it gets, but that's me.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:
    I've seen worse in 66 holders.
    1977 is a very difficult yr to get into a FB holder in any grade. You have a stellar dime there. It looks to have FB from where I'm sitting except for the couple small hits on the right side of the lower bands. If it were to go 4FB or higher, you will easily double ur $$$.

I would send it in to see what it gets, but that's me.

I agree with Stooge. :)

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a cutie. I'd send it in for the very least preservation being a clad with such nice toning.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

Interesting but I've not been a member able to submit for grading for years now. Maybe my LCS could do it. Anyone know if Beymer submits for grading for his customers? I do have a couple other coins that could use slabbing that I got from a collector friend who passed away a while back.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice, i like

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never could understand why a TPGS would turn away business by requiring a membership to submit coins. There MUST BE a really good reason aside from the cost of membership - but I they may give freebies to offset the cost - right?

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice dime. Between the fb's, the condition and the toning I think submission would pay off.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, it's scary to think that 1977 was over 40 YEARS AGO. :|

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was curious so I looked. There are a total of just 10 FB dimes for 1977.

64FB = 3
    65FB = 4
    66FB = 2
    67FB = 1

I would send it in and if it gets the FB you will do well.
    FYI, I've collected Roosies for 15+ yrs and I've never owned a 1977 PCGS FB dime.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

Took the coin down to my LCS today. Showed it to Jack for his opinion and he recommended not sending it in. He mentioned lack of full band at the bottom on the right where it's a bit nicked and a lower grade opinion than what's mentioned here. I decided to err on the side of his eons of experience and not do it. I'll probably toss it on the bay and let someone else shoot for the moon with it.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

For some reason, I have noticed this yellowish/gold to lemony gold color on 1977 Philly coins from some mint sets.
    I have one--if I can find it I'll post it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file