Home Sports Talk
Options

Derek Jeter is making all American-born Marlins players and coaches learn Spanish

stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/derek-jeter-making-american-born-marlins-players-coaches-learn-spanish-214324739.html

Derek Jeter is making all American-born Marlins players and coaches learn Spanish

Miami Marlins part owner Derek Jeter has an idea that could bring the team closer together. Jeter will require the American-born coaches and players to take Spanish lessons, according to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.

With a record of 48-74, and 21 games out of first place, i would think that a higher priority would be making his players learn to play better baseball.

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tankapalooza

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Instead of whining about liberal New Yorkers... look on the bright side...

There just might be a place in the organization for the former Mets' All-Star Second Basemen Chico Escuela.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    edited August 15, 2018 3:19PM

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Just another idiotic yankee decision out of liberal New York

In all my years in school, my most hated class by far was the required two years of a foreign language in high school.

If I'm remembering right, the choices were Spanish, French, or German. I chose Spanish and I hated every second of that class.

However with this, it's adults making millions of dollars a year to play baseball. I can't believe that this is going to go over well with the players, and I have to think that most of them will simply refuse to do it.

Frankly, i think with this idea, that Jeter may have slid into the bases head first perhaps a bit too many times.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Odd, the National language here is ENGLISH Why not have those that are not so hot in English learn OUR language.

Pretty dumb decision. No Bueno!!

Totally agree!!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

How does jeter plan on enforcing this? Suspension? This was not well thought out

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

It's stupid to even think of it!

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hola a todos, ¿sabían que estamos a veintiun juegos del primer lugar? Pero bueno, ¡al menos no somos los Royals ni los Orioles! ¡Esos dos equipos han cagado la cama!

ajajajajajajaja+++++++++++

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    Hola a todos, ¿sabían que estamos a veintiun juegos del primer lugar? Pero bueno, ¡al menos no somos los Royals ni los Orioles! ¡Esos dos equipos han cagado la cama!

You lost me after "Hola" ;)

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

That's easy for you to say! :o;)

• Options

So glad foreign language was not required in High School when I went...…..I would have refused!

• Options

@craig44 said:
    How does jeter plan on enforcing this? Suspension? This was not well thought out

Thats a great idea . Since Jeter apparently wants to come in last place of the entire league , making up a goofy policy then suspending players for violating it is a great way to make sure the team keeps losing

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better he teach the players to fake a hit-by-pitch. That will at least get him some base runners.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    So glad foreign language was not required in High School when I went...…..I would have refused!

How is learning a different language a negative thing during your overall education?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

How is learning a different language a negative thing during your overall education?

Just no need as far as I am concerned. All we need here in the U.S.A. is English.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Just no need as far as I am concerned. All we need here in the U.S.A. is English.

That's a narrow minded way to look at things. The whole purpose of gaining an education is to broaden your horizons not limit them. JMHO.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

That's a narrow minded way to look at things. The whole purpose of gaining an education is to broaden your horizons not limit them. JMHO.

It's OK if you want to, but should never be required. It use to make me mad when the phone recording said "press 1 for English". English should be automatic here. Thank goodness they doin do that anymore.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

It's OK if you want to, but should never be required. It use to make me mad when the phone recording said "press 1 for English". English should be automatic here. Thank goodness they doin do that anymore.

I do agree that English should be the first language here in the U.S.

That said, learning a second language can provide a number of benefits and also teaches you about the etymology of different phrases and words in a language different from your own, which can be useful later on, too. Many fields also offer additional perks for bilingual employees, too.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Narrow as a dime , man :D

• Options
    edited August 15, 2018 7:37PM

@grote15 . Not for me. As you have probably noticed I am a Conservative American War Vet that loves Country and Flag, ;)B)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Not for me. As you have probably noticed I am a Conservative American War Vet that loves Country and Flag, ;)B)

And such a categorization precludes you from learning another language?

• Options

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    Not for me. As you have probably noticed I am a Conservative American War Vet that loves Country and Flag, ;)B)

Key Word is American!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Key Word is American!

American is not a language.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Key Word is American!

American is not a language.

American = English. ;)

• Options

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

My interest was business.

However, I actually enjoyed and took a number of science related classes in high school and college - THAT was the "overall education" which I wanted and preferred. Also learning history, etc, in my view is much more important, perhaps infinitely more important, than learning a foreign language in an overall education. Even becoming wiser in the English language such as learning to use new words that you may not have been using before.

Besides, let's be honest about it, it's an English speaking world for the most part when it comes to international communications. I visited Europe a number of years ago for two weeks, before the internet, mainly France and Germany, brought a French to English, and German to English little pocket translation books with me, and rarely used them. Got along just fine with everyone at tourist sites, restaurants, etc with using English, or if say the waiter didn't understand English, just pointing to the selection on the menu.

• Options

Let's tell it like it is...no disrespect to any player from a foreign land...but if I'm in high school in say some Latino country, and I know and my coach knows that I've got pretty good potential to perhaps go to America and earn a lot of money playing baseball there, then wouldn't it make sense for me to learn English?

So in my view, getting back to the thread topic, the onus is on the Latino player to learn English, not for everyone else to learn Spanish.

To further solidify the point, if I think i can make some good money as a soccer player in Spain, then I'm taking some Spanish language lessons before I go over there. I wouldn't expect everyone else over there to be forced to learn English just to accommodate me.

• Options

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

My interest was business.

However, I actually enjoyed and took a number of science related classes in high school and college - THAT was the "overall education" which I wanted and preferred. Also learning history, etc, in my view is much more important, perhaps infinitely more important, than learning a foreign language in an overall education. Even becoming wiser in the English language such as learning to use new words that you may not have been using before.

Besides, let's be honest about it, it's an English speaking world for the most part when it comes to international communications. I visited Europe a number of years ago for two weeks, before the internet, mainly France and Germany, brought a French to English, and German to English little pocket translation books with me, and rarely used them. Got along just fine with everyone at tourist sites, restaurants, etc with using English, or if say the waiter didn't understand English, just pointing to the selection on the menu.

That's a valid opinion but relative to your personal pursuit and career path and what you felt was important at the time. My point was simply that learning another language while in school is a positive thing as there are many career choices out there which regard bilingualism as an asset. Learning a different language, whether in school or otherwise, certainly doesn't make anyone "less American," in any case.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Let's tell it like it is...no disrespect to any player from a foreign land...but if I'm in high school in say some Latino country, and I know and my coach knows that I've got pretty good potential to perhaps go to America and earn a lot of money playing baseball there, then wouldn't it make sense for me to learn English?

So in my view, getting back to the thread topic, the onus is on the Latino player to learn English, not for everyone else to learn Spanish.

To further solidify the point, if I think i can make some good money as a soccer player in Spain, then I'm taking some Spanish language lessons before I go over there. I wouldn't expect everyone else over there to be forced to learn English just to accommodate me.

Totally agree.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

That's a valid opinion but relative to your personal pursuit and career path and what you felt was important at the time. My point was simply that learning another language while in school is a positive thing as there are many career choices out there which regard bilingualism as an asset. Learning a different language, whether in school or otherwise, certainly doesn't make anyone "less American," in any case.

Come on man....I didn't say learning another language made you "less American"! You can learn as many as you want. I am simply saying it should never be required.

• Options
    edited August 15, 2018 8:19PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Come on man....I didn't say learning another language made you "less American"! You can learn as many as you want. I am simply saying it should never be required.

Quote from you about the prospect of learning a different language: Not for me. As you have probably noticed I am a Conservative American War Vet that loves Country and Flag,

And then later: American = English.

Perhaps I misunderstood your insinuation behind those posts. In any case, I've made my point here, which was really a pretty basic one (or so I thought) about the benefits associated with learning a different language. Carry on.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Possibly Jon could spell better in Mandarin.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Quote from you about the prospect of learning a different language: Not for me. As you have probably noticed I am a Conservative American War Vet that loves Country and Flag,

Perhaps I misunderstood your insinuation behind those posts. In any case, I've made my point here, which was really a pretty basic one (or so I thought) about the benefits associated with learning a different language. Carry on.

That was not my intent. You know how I am with grammar and spelling. ;)B)

Good night folks. :)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

That was not my intent. You know how I am with grammar and spelling. ;)B)

Good night folks. :)

Fair enough, Jon. You're a good guy even if I don't always agree with you. :p

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Which language should I choose? There are many.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally on board with foreigners, immigrants, visitors, life long citizens learning English. If I move to another country I need to learn to get by, I think these ball players can afford to take English Classes

• Options

Perhaps during the game when the home plate umpire calls a strike, Jeter wants the ump to also say "huelga"

Outside the strike zone and no swing..."ball, pelota"

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Totally on board with foreigners, immigrants, visitors, life long citizens learning English. If I move to another country I need to learn to get by, I think these ball players can afford to take English Classes

They usually just learn english from watching tv.

• Options

@1970s said:
    Many elementary students in American have to take Spanish class. It is part of the school curriculum. Some of your tax dollars goes towards hiring a Spanish teacher in your school district and having Spanish taught to your children or grandchildren. I do not agree with this, but that's the fact jack.

Yea, that's simply "wonderful" force feeding kids Spanish while our schools worldwide, rank around 35th in math and 20th in science...and some kids may think that George Jefferson was our first president.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2018 5:59AM

When I was on duty, inmates used to say “No English” but when I yelled or grabbed them with force they miraculously understood English. A lot of these ball players understand enough English but are playing the role.

• Options

Maybe Jeter would like the national anthem played for each player's country who is participating in the game.

Might take around 30 minutes before each game, and I'm sure the concessionaires would love that. They'd certainly sell more beer and hot dogs - LOL

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks to all the illegals coming into this country in the past 10 to 15 years America is changing and not for the good. I am glad I am an old man and will not be here to see how it ends up.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two cents, and probably not worth that much?

Derek Jeter already has that team on the right track. This isn’t a brilliant move but it is hardly a foolish one either. The ability to communicate on a baseball team (and in life) is important. Spanish is widely spoken in the game and on planet earth. Things can get lost in translation sometimes - better to work it out in two languages and get it right. And I’m sure most players are for it; perhaps there’s some resistance from others. By the way, with the demographics of Miami this also can’t hurt from a public relations standpoint. If you are trying to build a fan base there, endearing yourself to the local community - the people who buy tickets, show up and drive real revenue - isn’t all that foolish, either.

From a business perspective, in the macro sense, I’d imagine everything is going according to plan for Jeter: lower payroll and leverage out minority ownership to gain majority control of the team. I’d be willing to bet the Marlins books were a complete mess from the Loria years, too - that guy was as shady as it gets. This is a billion dollar venture. The winning will come. This is year one. Did anyone expect this team to win a WS this year? Next year? After the tragic passing of Jose Fernandez, this team wasn’t going to get there as constructed and with Giancarlo Stanton’s contract the chances of improving were severely limited. So you have an 80 win team for 5 years and then dismantle?

I think the Marlins picked the right course of action. They don’t have the resources of the Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers and may never have them. They’ll have to get it done another way - with prudent deals, good drafting and a plethora of international signings. Hence the Spanish.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Two cents, and probably not worth that much?

Derek Jeter already has that team on the right track. This isn’t a brilliant move but it is hardly a foolish one either. The ability to communicate on a baseball team (and in life) is important. Spanish is widely spoken in the game and on planet earth. Things can get lost in translation sometimes - better to work it out in two languages and get it right. And I’m sure most players are for it; perhaps there’s some resistance from others. By the way, with the demographics of Miami this also can’t hurt from a public relations standpoint. If you are trying to build a fan base there, endearing yourself to the local community - the people who buy tickets, show up and drive real revenue - isn’t all that foolish, either.

From a business perspective, in the macro sense, I’d imagine everything is going according to plan for Jeter: lower payroll and leverage out minority ownership to gain majority control of the team. I’d be willing to bet the Marlins books were a complete mess from the Loria years, too - that guy was as shady as it gets. This is a billion dollar venture. The winning will come. This is year one. Did anyone expect this team to win a WS this year? Next year? After the tragic passing of Jose Fernandez, this team wasn’t going to get there as constructed and with Giancarlo Stanton’s contract the chances of improving were severely limited. So you have an 80 win team for 5 years and then dismantle?

I think the Marlins picked the right course of action. They don’t have the resources of the Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers and may never have them. They’ll have to get it done another way - with prudent deals, good drafting and a plethora of international signings. Hence the Spanish.

Well thought out points for sure.

The whole key is communication, and frankly, i don't see how it's possible to have better communication using two languages. In my opinion, communication normally works best when it's done in one language, which is why most countries have an official language.

Back to baseball...What if there's a fly ball hit in the gap in the outfield and two outfielders are running for the ball. Are they going to think about which language should they use as to who should catch the ball, and who should get out of the way? The hesitation just with this could cause serious injury, that could have possibly been avoided just communicating in English.

Perhaps my example is "off base" and the communication on the field will stay in English. However in my view, that would make my point even stronger. Off the field, the Spanish speaking players have agents and a whole assortment of other ways to communicate and conduct business effectively.

To sum up...Spanish speaking players have been in MLB for a long time now. This is nothing new. It just seems to me like a situation that wasn't broke, but Jeter decided to fix it.

• Options

Jeter probably has more baseball knowledge in his pinkie finger than everyone on this forum combined. I'm sure if he gets stumped though he will put the "bat" signal up in the sky in a desperate call for help.

Are we quotation marking all our puns now? I didn't realize that was a thing but ok , I'll "play" along

• Options

@1970s said:
    Many elementary students in American have to take Spanish class. It is part of the school curriculum. Some of your tax dollars goes towards hiring a Spanish teacher in your school district and having Spanish taught to your children or grandchildren. I do not agree with this, but that's the fact jack.

Would gladly trade my 4 years of Hebrew school for Spanish lessons. Well at least if I run into the dead Sea Scrolls, I'll be in business.

• Options

I'd trade my two years of Spanish class for a Don Mossi baseball card with multiple creases.