2019 Topps Baseball

Kirk

Collector of Topps Detroit Tigers cards!!

Comments

• estangestang Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

I like it. It's modern but has aspects of 1982 & 1968 Topps integrated into it.

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • robert67robert67 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Release date is right around the corner on January 30.

I always look forward to opening a few jumbo packs.

Makes me look forward to Spring Training.

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Sure look better than the stuff they have put out the last two years.....which looked the same to me.

• VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Any notable rookies in the Series 1?

edited January 8, 2019 6:26AM

@VintagemanEd said:
    Any notable rookies in the Series 1?

None come to mind at this point. Vlad Jr. would be a good one ,but he hasn't played in MLB yet and isn't eligible unless an exception is granted to Topps.

However, it seems like a hot rookie always seems to emerge eventually.

Should be an interesting Spring training again with several teams looking to go with as many young and cheaper contract players as possible.

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a better rookie crop than I expected but still missing a "big one."

Arthur

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2019 10:54AM

Per a post on cardboard connection:

After many years of putting 36 ten-card packs into a hobby box, Topps will give collectors 14 cards in a pack but there will be only 24 packs per box. Jumbo boxes are moving from 50 cards per pack to 46. The net result is a loss of 24 cards per hobby box and 40 per Jumbo.

This is frustrating if true.

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

Another way to increase prices without increasing prices.....

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 137 ✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2019 11:11AM

2018 I built a set through hobby boxes, although fun, I got no inserts of any great value and could have bought a factory set for less than a hobby box. I needed 2 Series 1 and 2 Series 2 boxes and 1 Update box to make a set.....I am not going to spend a couple hundred to make a set I can buy for $40.....I may buy an Update box as I got the full Update out of 1 box....

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2019 1:35PM

The last few years I have bought a single hobby jumbo of each series and received all the base cards.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• ArmyManArmyMan Posts: 18 ✭✭

I have noticed when I buy Hobby boxes (which is the norm for me) I rarely get any Variation SP or SSP cards. This year for 2018 I bought a Jumbo box for Series two Baseball and received both Ronald Acuna and Gleyber Torres rookie cards :p

edited January 22, 2019 5:57PM

@ArmyMan said:
    I have noticed when I buy Hobby boxes (which is the norm for me) I rarely get any Variation SP or SSP cards. This year for 2018 I bought a Jumbo box for Series two Baseball and received both Ronald Acuna and Gleyber Torres rookie cards :p

I also have much better luck with key cards ripping jumbo hobby packs/boxes. J

Just ripped two 2018 update jumbos today to satisfy the urge B)

• ArmyManArmyMan Posts: 18 ✭✭

@robert67 said:

@ArmyMan said:

I also have much better luck with key cards ripping jumbo hobby packs/boxes. J

Just ripped two 2018 update jumbos today to satisfy the urge B)

Yeah it's like Topps rewards you for spending the extra bucks on the Jumbo, although I did wind up with a crap load of dupes, that I otherwise wouldn't have gotten if I'd stuck with the Hobby box

• @CdnOsfan said:
    2018 I built a set through hobby boxes, although fun, I got no inserts of any great value and could have bought a factory set for less than a hobby box. I needed 2 Series 1 and 2 Series 2 boxes and 1 Update box to make a set.....I am not going to spend a couple hundred to make a set I can buy for $40.....I may buy an Update box as I got the full Update out of 1 box....

While I agree and am sympathetic (and I'm not gonna do that either), that's not exactly a new phenomenon. I am opening some 1987 Topps boxes with my kids just for fun, and we are trying to complete a set the old fashioned way- from packs. We have opened 2 wax boxes (which would have been $29 worth of packs back then) and we still lack 160 cards to finish. I bet we open 2 more boxes (for a total of almost $60 in 1987 dollars) and still lack a few. Granted there are 792 in a whole set, and each box has 612 cards, but still. I remember being able to get those factory sets from Walmart or Target or Kmart for about $15. I think it's pretty clear that it's not about the economics of buying a box and getting a whole set, rather the fun of opening the packs and (now with modern stuff) chasing all of the inserts, parallels etc.

kevin