affordafford Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 14, 2018 8:48PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2018 9:21PM

EDIT: I read this a post and saw an 1892 Proof Morgan with a washed-out, yellow-orange coin image for the obverse.
    Now, it is an 1893-S! I removed all my comments which make no sense now and I'm going to bed!!

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Descent color. Just can't tell if it was over cleaned to make 58 from the pics.

thefinn
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be right on, could be a bit over graded...

But the toning the ANACS and NGC Fatties add to these better date AU's make them desirable.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

@thefinn said:

The toning that these labels create won't progress beyond just hugging the rims if the coin was cleaned or polished.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:

@thefinn said:

The toning that these labels create won't progress beyond just hugging the rims if the coin was cleaned or polished.

The toning didn't stop at the rims on this one, which leads me to believe it was toned before it got encapsulated.

thefinn
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2018 9:17PM

@thefinn said:

@Broadstruck said:

@thefinn said:

The toning didn't stop at the rims on this one, which leads me to believe it was toned before it got encapsulated.

The reverse maybe, but the obverse is all signature label toning.

Shame the photos don't really let you see the coin.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough date, but I'm not a huge fan of this kind of toning... especially for 58 money. To each, their own....

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Accurate, but not attractive to me

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say a touch over. 55 sounds fair. Not a fan of the toning on this one.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2018 2:04AM

Who can tell from the photo? Not me.

I'd go with ANACS here in lieu of information to the contrary.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

The photo quality isn't good but my gut feeling is that AU58 is too high. Retoning after a long ago cleaning is possible.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picture does not allow for anything beyond a 'pull it out of your 'hat''guess.....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's just me but I'm seeing a P mint reverse that looks like a proof strike.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems correctly graded. How is the luster?

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

ANACS was generous, as usual.

• Options

I've usually been happy with the coins in the older white ANACS holders. It's likely spot on.

My friend recently showed me a Confederate half dollar he just got back from PCGS, MS61
    It was cracked and sent raw from an old white ANACS... They had it the same grade, 61. Pretty consistent if you ask me.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember when the biggest threat was not finding a 1909-S VDB in the change you went through from the grocery store?

I do.

HIGH TIME TO GO OUT TO PASTURE I THINK :'(

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems about right to me.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

Lets see a picture!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file