Home Metal Detecting
Options

Not finding much

This 1870s farm I have been detecting has not been what i have hoped for, but has been fun never the less. Have been detecting almost every evening for about an hour using my cibola and my vaquero changing heads on the vaq. This place is clay and very dense, not what i am used to. Finds are 8in to 12in deep and very hard digging. So much so that I'm going to hold off for some rain. I have been digging for the last 10 years in a sandy soil so this is quite different. Good Ab and shoulder work out since I have to do a push up every time I push the garden shovel in, so that's 10 or so times each hole. Here is a picture of the better finds. No coins other than modern pennies.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting finds... indicates there should be more there. Hope the digging gets easier, plus some rain will help in detecting as well as digging. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not all old sites yield coins. Many farmers had little. Bartering and such often took precedence over purchasing so the need for coins was not so high. I found this to be very true in the Upper Midwest.
    But, it's the thrill of the search for that one Morgan or Bust Half or branch mint gold that keeps us looking!
    good luck,
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet, interesting items, don't stop searching, I'm sure you'll find more and better items, good luck !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

@AUandAG ...True, in those times, farmers may not have had a lot of coins...... However, these old sites may not always have been farms. Sometimes other activities took place. I returned to a village I had left for 45 years. Fields I had known as a kid were now forests, shops that had existed before, were now fields or parking lots. Where homes once stood, were now shops. Many, many changes occur over time. And when you talk a hundred or two hundred years... well, who knows what may have been. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko.....Not that way here in the west as you know. Most parts of the western US have been settled a little more than a hundred years.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@AUandAG .....Ah yes... I forgot where you are located..... In the Northeast - where I am - there is 300+ years of history.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh there are coins down there waiting to be dug up. Know your detector and dig. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall