Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1972 DDO, but.....

ThecoinlectorThecoinlector Posts: 67
edited August 14, 2018 2:11PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Thinking of sending this 1972 DDO in to a grading company but not sure if I should (dont have my red book on me) and i dont want to be sending in a coin for more money than its worth, anyone know if I should send this coin in? I'm guessing its XF and I'm sorry for the bad picture and I will try to get a better one.

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRH4LIFE said:
    Doesn't look like the Big one to me. I would keep it in a 2x2 not worth the cost.

+1

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

not seeing it

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

It has strong doubling in "in god we trust"

• Options

Ill get better pictures

• Options
    CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

@Thecoinlector said:

Yes. There are 8 different 1972 Doubled Died varieties. (If I remember right) Your most likely being the most common. They have little value in circulated condition as this. A few bucks to maybe 10 to the right person.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

As mentioned, there are several 72 DDOs. This does not look like one of the valuable ones and I have owned 3 or 4.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

It seems like a 003, 006 or 008. But thank you for saving me from spending more money.

• Options
    JcldJcld Posts: 449 ✭✭✭

@Thecoinlector said:

If you say so, I can't see anything in those pics.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need better pics of the coin outside the holder before we can provide any meaningful advice.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does not have to be in a slab to be worth keeping. :p

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the DDO-001

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Save your money. It doesn't look like this

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

The CONECA website is a good place to find out which die you have.

http://www.varietyvista.com

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell from the photos, but it could be die 8, based on the shape of LIBERTY and the date- this is one of the most common ones... I've been dispersing a hoard of several different dies of the lesser DDOs over the last few years, and am getting $20 - $50 for ANACS 63 - 65 red uncirculated ones. Yours is an $8 - $10 coin at the most- I wouldn't spend the money on grading.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Poor man's" ddo, like the same in the 55.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot see it in your picture, however, it may well be the minor as pointed out above. In that case, not worth slabbing. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    "Poor man's" ddo, like the same in the 55.

The coin you reference isn't a doubled die at all-it's an example of die polish doubling and is of no value. There are nine minor to moderate doubled dies for 1972. These ARE true doubled dies but don't approach the strength or desirability of die number one.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has strong doubling in the motto , but....

It sold raw for $10. It might be worth $50 for someone to get slabbed. Just not for me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file