Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Imagine if US consumers refused National Parks quarters

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 14, 2018 8:04AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Some consumers in India refuse to accept legal 10 rupee coins (worth about 10-cents), apparently because there have been several design changes in recent years. Check out the story from the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-43124087

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

In American life, our coins are practically meaningless. If you try to use more than two dollars worth of coins in a single retail transaction, you are marked as "poor" or "broke".

India (Prime Minister Modi) attempted to repudiate quite a bit of Indian paper money last winter and he has thrown their entire system into disarray.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Coins ( and Paper Bills ?) in the USA are just totally obsolete. I now use my Credit Cards for EVERYTHING, including buying a Cup of Coffee at the McDonalds. I'd never do anything like that 5 years ago. But now that I did it once, I think I'll only use Cash for Lottery Tickets. And hopefully I'll stop that bad loser habit soon.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm finding myself using cards and apps a lot more and it is convenient, but I do like the option of using cash.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use both. Most purchases are by credit card, except tips which I usually give in cash. I find ways to use special coins to get them into circulation.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still amazed at how much change one can find on the ground. I get the feeling many people can't be bothered with change.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

If people stop using cash, then the government can determine where, and how much you will be able to spend. You're under 21, or diagnosed as an alcoholic - you can't buy alcohol (which is probably a good thing) - your card won't be accepted. Someone thinks you should only buy products made in a certain part of the world... done. Don't want you making donations to a certain organization - ain't going to happen, or at least it won't be anonymous. There is convenience to not using cash, but a lot of other problems come with not using it. Cards and ATMs weren't working in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria for months. You either had to have cash, or barter. They even sent a few 747s down loaded with currency from the FR so people could just make transactions.

thefinn
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

cashless system to me, is a very risky system indeed. coins or dollars in ones hand has no bias and the same value. We have 3 world countries with no plumbing supermarkets or other means of comfort we gladly pay for in the west they have no jobs and grim futures. But many have cell phones "provided" to them. Ask yourself what that means? What do they really have access to? what is given can easily be taken away. We see what is happening here with big tech and everyone know something will have to be done sooner or later. To big to fail seems to be a repeating concept.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Retail stores being opened by Amazon.com do not accept cash - even for very small purchases. Absence of cash handling saves more than the fee charged by credit/debit card companies.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will get and spend SBA's and Sackies when I can and the looks I get from some people...especially teenagers. Never seen one and not sure they are real. Fun!

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be surprised to learn the general public here even knows what's on their coinage.

So long as George is on the face, it's a quarter. And I'll bet the Washington Prezibuck would confuse many...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use cash a lot. Credit cards also. Small purchases are always cash.... and tips. Larger purchases are CC's. Some bills are paid with checks - local bills. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

I refuse to buy 'em. A lady came in the other day to sell me some. I offered 2% more than coinstar. She said she would use them for laundry. I didnt notice any mustard stains.

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

The washers and dryers in our park do not judge or hate

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    I refuse to buy 'em. A lady came in the other day to sell me some. I offered 2% more than coinstar. She said she would use them for laundry. I didnt notice any mustard stains.

What does Coinstar charge?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ajaan said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

No charge, from my understanding. They pay out.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coinstar takes approximately 11% off-the-top of your pile of coins for providing you with green cash banknote money.

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

@ElKevvo said:
    I will get and spend SBA's and Sackies when I can and the looks I get from some people...especially teenagers. Never seen one and not sure they are real. Fun!

K

I do the same with Kennedy's. It's amazing how many people think a Kennedy half is a dollar coin.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options

@ajaan said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

11.99% for cash but 1 for 1 if you use one of there gift cards to amazon or a few other places. I just checked last week trying to avoid rolling $110 of dimes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file