Home Sports Talk
Options

The Cleveland Browns and Marijuana.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 13, 2018 2:15PM in Sports Talk

Cleveland seems to have a penchant for signing Wide Receivers who like to smoke marijuana.

Josh Gordon has been on the Team for several years but can't put down the pipe. He has shown brilliance, maybe three years ago before everything started up again he had three of four weeks with 200+ yards, seemed to display a knack for getting open and to be a hard guy to bring down. But, he likes to smoke dope.

Now they have a new guy, Antonio Callaway who has shown to be a clone of Antonio Brown --- but he likes to smoke dope!!!

HC Hugh Jackson is getting harangued a little by the Cleveland media for his peculiar punishment. Calloway got in trouble for drugs or alcohol, I'm not sure which one, but instead of having the Rookie stay in Cleveland or travel to NYC and watch in street clothes, Jackson dressed him, started him and then kept him in the entire game....................literally!!! who wouldn't take him out even when he was clearly gassed.

Hey, when you're a Head Coach of the Cleveland Browns and your record is 1-31 you can afford to do things a little different. In fact, you're sort of obligated to try anything, right??

Curtis Mayfield played pretty good for the Clowns but Tyrod Taylor should start. Me and my GF are starting to think that we may need to make lunch plans every Sunday. They might not win (m)any games this season but they'll more than likely be competitive, entertaining and may even add a little drama. Hey, that counts.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

you are going to like tyrod taylor

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2018 2:40PM

There’s a kid here that isn’t getting scholarship or walk on deals because of medicinal that is some stud. Nobody is exactly the same chemically, some are highly functional/skilled at their talent on or off different things.

• Options

...........................which is why they are banned substances.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw a piece in the news yesterday when Budweiser is going to give out free beer to the people of Cleveland if the Browns win a game this year. I guess it sort of going along with the team smoking weed. When you have had a 1-31 stretch, I guess you need to get away from reality.

The funny part is, as I remember the 2016 season, the Browns had a lead in a number of those games and lost the contest in the fourth quarter. I think that 2017 was more gloomy.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

i honestly don’t believe half the Browns players actually care about wins and losses, they know going in they are going to be a bad team but they are getting paid either way.

• Options

I think that as Pro Athletes, sure, they want to win. the twist to me is what the media and ex-Athletes refer to as the "culture" of winning. that is evident with Teams like New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Dallas, Baltimore and others. some Teams just never seem to get there. sadly, the Cleveland Browns not long ago were right there with the Teams who always seemed to win.

it is taking them quite a while longer to develop some sense of success than most expansion Teams, they have gotten so used to losing that it doesn't seem to bother them as a group.

• Options

True story, my neighbors 13 year old dog has a scrip for edibles. It actually works wonders for the dog , its either not in pain anymore or doesn't care :D

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like "Moneyball" wonder if they dance around happy after all the loses.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seemed amusing to me that after doing poorly year after year punctuated by a 1-31 record the last two years, the Browns had two taunting penalties at the beginning of their first pre season game. Kind of like one of Mike Tysons victims laying flat on his back looking up and saying " Had enough yet Mikey? Say uncle."

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    It seemed amusing to me that after doing poorly year after year punctuated by a 1-31 record the last two years, the Browns had two taunting penalties at the beginning of their first pre season game. Kind of like one of Mike Tysons victims laying flat on his back looking up and saying " Had enough yet Mikey? Say uncle."

If I was a coach I'd penalize anyone on my team who wasn't taunting the other team

• Options

they need to get that stuff outa their system in the pre-season. even playing penalty free Football come the regular season may not be good enough for the Browns to win.

• Options

How many fans do the Browns have left? At one time they had a good contending team with the old Browns, and then they moved to Baltimore. Now they have a college team quality playing pro football, and they lose year after year.

I can remember when the Patriots went 2 - 12. (Yes, that used to happen.) It might have been the year when they could barely run a play from scrimmage with getting a motion penalty. I called them the "Foxboro Patriots." Following a loser is really hard.

One year everyone was looking forward to another loss so that they would get the number 1 draft pick. They "lost" (It was in the sports headlines that way.) when they won the game. :'(

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Bill, just to clarify --- the Browns didn't "move" to Baltimore. the owner stabbed the City and fan-base in the back when he hijacked the Team because the City wouldn't give him a new Stadium. Art Modell had the sweetheart of all deals, he leased the old Municipal Stadium from the City of Cleveland for $1/year. that's right, $1/year. then he allowed it to run down in deplorable fashion as he raked in the cash. The almost unbelievable aspect of it all is that the City and fan-base of Baltimore embraced him after they had had their Team spirited away to Indianapolis.

the really weird twist --- Cleveland and Baltimore are sister-cities!!!

Professional Sports will drive you crazy if you let it. Consider:
    --- Art Modell moves a Team to a city which had previously lost its Team in a similar way because the City wouldn't build him a new Stadium: they promptly built a Stadium in order to secure another franchise.
    --- When the Browns were knocking on the Super Bowl door in the 80's with HC Marty Schottenheimer there was meeting between him and owner Art Modell about the lack of an Offensive Coordinator. Marty was given an ultimatum and he stubbornly left for the Kansas City Chiefs. one of the first things he did was hire an OC!!!

I could go on, but you should get it. :)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    True story, my neighbors 13 year old dog has a scrip for edibles. It actually works wonders for the dog , its either not in pain anymore or doesn't care :D

They actually sell CBD oil for dogs and humans. There's no THC in it, just cannabadiol which is an anti-inflammatory. It's legal to buy [Google Charlotte's web - don't confuse Hemp Oil with CBD oil].

I tried it out for my little bit of arthritis, figuring I was a better test case than my dog who just won't talk to me no matter how hard I try. It does work for inflammation and also appears to have anti-anxiety properties as well.

• Options

Oh, I agree with you, Keets, about Art Modell. He's right down there with Harry Frazee when it come to slimmy owners. It was my understanding that he was in financial difficulties when he left Cleveland. The honorable thing would have been to sell the team, but he wanted to remain "part of the ownership click."

• Options
    edited August 16, 2018 7:58AM

Pretty sure all owners are slime . Kraft is held up as a good owner but he was humping a cheerleaders leg before they got his wife's casket in the ground.

What about the indy owner? He is a junkie :D

Actually to expand on kreeper bob Kraft's cheerleader leg humping a little. I wonder if there is something in the Foxboro water. Kreepy Kraft with the girlfriend young enough to be his grandaughter, bastardly bill steal some guys wife , and tom terrific dumping his pregnant bridget actress in favor of mushmouth the model . I wonder if there will be a #metoo problem at Patriots place one of these days soon. :D Its the patriots season to implode in every other way might as well turn over all the rocks.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bills fan here and I'll be watching the Browns this year. I think Taylor can bring them 5-6 wins by just keeping it them close. He is a professional and a leader. Now on that note I was so happy to see him leave Buffalo. It was so tough watching him hold the ball, not throw receivers open and scramble on 3 and 9 every time. Sure he doesn't turn it over but 160 yards passing get old and 14 TD's a year won't cut it. But the Browns turned the ball over a ton and that will stop this year. I'm going watch them just cause.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

Taylor success will be measured as soon as Teams start to cut players and we can pick up some OL.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Browns actually have a lot of skilled players. Winning is another thing. I think they will actually be ok this year.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

if Adults want to smoke weed then adults should be able too. I haven’t smoked since July 1996, I thought I might try it since I retired from LE but don’t have any desire.

• Options
    edited August 17, 2018 4:21AM

if Adults want to smoke weed then adults should be able too

I don't disagree in principal and that change is coming Nationwide, probably within our lifetimes, the twist is that Marijuana use should be and almost certainly will be regulated just as Alcohol is regulated. looking at it like that, if I go out at lunch break and swill down a few beers with lunch I put myself at risk of losing my job: so it will be with Marijuana.

there is, however, one technical difference with Marijuana that many people aren't aware of and which provides the impediment --- Marijuana is fat soluble which means it dissolves and is stored in fat cells. it's the same for "Agent Orange" and why that substance causes problems so many years later. Marijuana's active ingredient can be released into the body a long time after use. in that regard, I could go on a two week vacation and use alcohol and cocaine, both water soluble, and be safe for urinalysis at work as long as I give myself 3-5 days to process all the water in my body, to "flush" myself out. I would be at risk if I smoked reefer.

I joke about people who are self-employed, they can use whenever they want to, whatever they want to. even then they may be at risk with an insurance claim. if you work for someone else and use you put yourself at risk which is pretty much how it should be.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    if Adults want to smoke weed then adults should be able too

I don't disagree in principal and that change is coming Nationwide, probably within our lifetimes, the twist is that Marijuana use should be and almost certainly will be regulated just as Alcohol is regulated. looking at it like that, if I go out at lunch break and swill down a few beers with lunch I put myself at risk of losing my job: so it will be with Marijuana.

there is, however, one technical difference with Marijuana that many people aren't aware of and which provides the impediment --- Marijuana is fat soluble which means it dissolves and is stored in fat cells. it's the same for "Agent Orange" and why that substance causes problems so many years later. Marijuana's active ingredient can be released into the body a long time after use. in that regard, I could go on a two week vacation and use alcohol and cocaine, both water soluble, and be safe for urinalysis at work as long as I give myself 3-5 days to process all the water in my body, to "flush" myself out. I would be at risk if I smoked reefer.

I joke about people who are self-employed, they can use whenever they want to, whatever they want to. even then they may be at risk with an insurance claim. if you work for someone else and use you put yourself at risk which is pretty much how it should be.

Good post about the fat soluble thing - I did not know that.

Marijuana certainly is much more harmful than cannabis addicts and the marijuana industry want us to believe it is. Yea, they always point to Willie Nelson as how cannabis is not harmful.

There's always some in a large population who for whatever biological reason can still live a long time under harmful conditions. An extreme example is after Hiroshima, some in the city who survived the blast still lived a long time even though they were exposed to radiation poisoning, but of course most didn't live a long time.

There are numerous articles on the internet pertaining to the facts of the harmful effects of cannabis use. Some of the effects are brutal. But some out there wish to ignore these stone cold facts for various reasons.

• Options

Totally agree about it being regulated and absolutely within your own home, definitely not while at work nor while driving/operating anything that could cause harm

• Options
    edited August 17, 2018 6:52AM

Good post about the fat soluble thing - I did not know that

another thing most people don't know is that Brain Cells are surrounded by a layer of fat!! B) you can draw your own conclusions from that little tidbit.

I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm a medical expert, this is just information I gleaned while growing up. I would also add that I smoked pot from mid-1972 until late December 1994 when I got clean. I always hung onto the notion that Marijuana was only psychologically addictive, that I could quit whenever I wanted to --- I just didn't want to quit!! yes, it's safe to say I was an idiot in denial. I know a lot of people who struggle with cigarettes, can't seem to quit even though the evidence of the danger is enormous. I point out what I came to terms with, that inhaling 450 degree pure air would be unhealthy, but I digress, and I always had a backup --- I used a bong so the smoke was much cooler.

like I said, I was an idiot.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    Good post about the fat soluble thing - I did not know that

another thing most people don't know is that Brain Cells are surrounded by a layer of fat!! B) you can draw your own conclusions from that little tidbit.

I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm a medical expert, this is just information I gleaned while growing up. I would also add that I smoked pot from mid-1972 until late December 1994 when I got clean. I always hung onto the notion that Marijuana was only psychologically addictive, that I could quit whenever I wanted to --- I just didn't want to quit!! yes, it's safe to say I was an idiot in denial. I know a lot of people who struggle with cigarettes, can't seem to quit even though the evidence of the danger is enormous. I point out what I came to terms with, that inhaling 450 degree pure air would be unhealthy, but I digress, and I always had a backup --- I used a bong so the smoke was much cooler.

like I said, I was an idiot.

<<< I was an idiot. >>>

Believe it or not, addiction isn't usually tied to intelligence level.

Frankly, i believe that human beings by nature have a propensity towards addictive behavior. I'll stop here before this becomes a dissertation.

Suffice to say that it's best to get addicted to good things such as caring for your children is a good example...or another example in my view is collecting coins and cards. :)

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    Pretty sure all owners are slime .

One exception - the Packers, where the owner is................the fans of Wisconsin......

Hang in there Keets. Perhaps some competent management has arrived. Packers went thru about 20 years of incompetence from mid 70's to early 90's (the Lost Years) before Ron Wolf arrived. It could happen to you.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting story's !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe an online séance will help.