Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How did the term, "Guinea" come about?

Wiki is pretty incomplete.
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinea_(British_coin)

Anyone know how they came to name the coin a "Guinea?"

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2018 7:46AM

IIRC, the Guinea coin was first made in 1663 from gold originating from the African continent. Spink says this gold was imported into England by "The Africa Company" and that its origin was Guinea. Some of the early guineas of Charles II of England had an elephant 'privy mark' on the obverse, underneath the bust of the King, and that this mark was supposed to indicate the origin of the gold. Similar elephant marks appeared on some gold of James II. The "Elephant and Castle" was also the badge of The Africa Company. The name "Guinea" stuck long after the coin itself disappeared.

Charles II's bride, Catherine of Braganza, brought the city of Tangier (in North Africa) to her husband as a part of her dowry. For about 20 years, the English were especially excited about Africa, but they eventually evacuated Tangier.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, so the GOLD came FROM Guinea. Thanks Bill. :)

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said: "IIRC, the Guinea coin was first made in 1663 from gold originating from the African continent. Spink says this gold was imported into England by "The Africa Company" and that its origin was Guinea."

This is not entirely correct but it makes a good story for an auction house selling the coins.

A more correct answer would be that in addition to **previously struck" gold coins that were melted for the new issue, gold from Guinea was also used. :wink:

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, so it was SCRAP GOLD from Guinea! ;):D

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not all of these new gold coins bore the elephant privy mark, not by any means. This may represent an effort to distinguish the source of the gold. I suppose over the years, coins with the elephant were possibly saved by collectors in preference to the coins without.

Nevertheless, the name stuck to all and guineas were minted into the Napoleonic wars era. The guinea was a "unit of account" used on billings by some professionals and high-end retailers as late as the 1960s.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check out my “William and Mary” post I uploaded today. It includes a guinea with the elephant and castle mark.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?