Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Questions about 1848 French coin/medal

hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
edited August 12, 2018 12:13PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

While going through my collection, I came across the 1848 French medal pictured below. This medal has been in my collection for about 15 years, but I can't find much information about it. By searching the text in Google, I found the website below that gives some information on it.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=https://numiscorner.fr/products/1848-liberte-egalite-fraternite-medaille&prev=search

Does anybody on the forums know anything additional about this medal? Any thoughts on whether mine looks authentic? It definitely has the feel of a cast copy, but the coin is made of Tin so that may be why.

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2018 1:59PM

Clearly referencing the revolutions of 1848 and ultimately the establishment of the Second French Republic. Note the top line which appears to read "R 1848 F"
    After the Liberty, Equality, Fraternity lines, I would translate:

Monuments, you lie.
    In power, the Reactionaries, with all their abuses.
    And for the masses, misery and alms.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the info!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder if that was a secret token carried by the resistance and used for access. Intriguing. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting !!! :)

Timbuk3