Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that is so "cool" !!! B)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never been there, though I have heard about it (and even in threads here over the years). If I am ever in the area, I will certainly stop in for a libation (or two or three). Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I drove past it once. Lots of signs alerting you to it's existence. Had the family and was short on time so I did not even stop. Maybe next time...

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE: "And nowdays, it's described as having 50,000 silver dollars, not 10,000."

Ya gotta keep an eye on them thar dollars....At night, they'll party and a'fore you know it, 10,000 is 50,000 and they's goin' hungry.

Are the coins between layers or encased in plastic resin?

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2018 9:23AM

Cool, never been there but have been here:
    Silver Queen Hotel, Virginia City, NV
    _**I found this portrait, the Silver Queen, hanging inside Virginia City's Silver Queen Saloon. The 15-foot tall portrait of Lady Luck was decked out in 3,261 (a nod to the depth of Virginia City’s Combination Shaft) “Morgan” silver dollars minted in Carson City (in what is now the Nevada State Museum). Her belt was fashioned from 28 twenty-dollar gold pieces, and her choker and bracelets were minted from dimes. **_

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm heading back there later this month.

I remember they had Silver dollars for sale by the checkout at 'tourist' prices.

I'll report back here to @mt_msla 's thread once I pass by on my trip to the Treasure State.

pic from my '07 thread

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/593969/i-found-some-custom-multi-holders

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    RE: "And nowdays, it's described as having 50,000 silver dollars, not 10,000."

Ya gotta keep an eye on them thar dollars....At night, they'll party and a'fore you know it, 10,000 is 50,000 and they's goin' hungry.

Are the coins between layers or encased in plastic resin?

resin Roger

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2018 12:02PM

Stopped there on my way to the Spring Portland ANA show in 2015. Have drove by it many other times on my way west. It is a cool place, but about 280 miles west on I-90 from where I am.

On March 4th, 2015 the number was 66,542. Wonder how many have been added in the 3 and half years since.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info !

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been there, too. Somewhere I also got one of their tokens. A Morgan silver dollar is shown for scale.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Cool, never been there but have been here:
    Silver Queen Hotel, Virginia City, NV
    _**I found this portrait, the Silver Queen, hanging inside Virginia City's Silver Queen Saloon. The 15-foot tall portrait of Lady Luck was decked out in 3,261 (a nod to the depth of Virginia City’s Combination Shaft) “Morgan” silver dollars minted in Carson City (in what is now the Nevada State Museum). Her belt was fashioned from 28 twenty-dollar gold pieces, and her choker and bracelets were minted from dimes. **_

That is really cool.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file