Home Precious Metals
Options

Serious question guys!!

Let's say you buy American Silver Eagles on the regular....whether it's a monster box or just a tube here and there. Now my question is.....Is it possible to recieve MS69 or even MS70 coins like this?

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possible, but not likely. Why would you want to pay to have a bullion coin slabbed?

• Options
    shinywhiteshinywhite Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

Well, if it graded an MS 70, your fees would be covered when you sold it for a hefty profit? I'm so new to this shit ,its not even funny. Be gentle with me...

• Options

Just to clarify, I take this seriously. I do not think coin collecting and or selling is a joke.

• Options

Excuse me, will move to the Q&A forum

• Options
    oldstandardoldstandard Posts: 387 ✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2018 8:01PM

Just buy it as bullion and if you get a few 70'S and sell them for a profit it will bring your cost down, But there is better ways to buy bullion then an over priced Silver Eagles maybe that's why you are hoping for the 70"s

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2018 8:17PM

There are perfect 70's in unopened boxes, especially the early issues. If you purchase tubes on the open market, they are most likely to be searched. There is pressure on TPGS to find a certain # of 70's in a large lot. I'm not saying they lower their standards Just that there is pressure to keep the client happy.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Possible, but not likely. Why would you want to pay to have a bullion coin slabbed?

especially one that is known to spot after slabbed, rendering it a loss.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

^^^ flip it while it's hot

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    There are perfect 70's in unopened boxes, especially the early issues. If you purchase tubes on the open market, they are most likely to be searched. There is pressure on TPGS to find a certain # of 70's in a large lot. I'm not saying they lower their standards Just that there is pressure to keep the client happy.

they absolutely lower their standards :D slabbed bullion is embarrasing

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

You say you are new to this, will you be able to tell which coins are 70's if you buy rolls or a monster box? For every one you get wrong, it is going to eat up your "easy flip" profits. How well can you grade a raw modern bullion coin?

It is a great idea but if it were that easy, we would all be doing this and making so much money we would want to quit our regular jobs :)

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless your doing a registry set, I would avoid graded ASEs entirely.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is certainly possible to receive 69's or 70's.... Those slabbed coins all came from the mint in one form or another...However, as indicated above, you better be good at grading or you will throw away a lot of money. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@hchcoin said:
    You say you are new to this, will you be able to tell which coins are 70's if you buy rolls or a monster box? For every one you get wrong, it is going to eat up your "easy flip" profits. How well can you grade a raw modern bullion coin?

It is a great idea but if it were that easy, we would all be doing this and making so much money we would want to quit our regular jobs :)

Point taken

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an album full of 69's and 70's and they are all raw.......will never get graded and I've searched 1,000's upon 1,000's to find my coins. They are out there but not worth the fees to get graded in my opinion.
    When I started I bought four MS69's off ebay that were graded by PCGS. I did this as a reference and to hone my eye to nice examples. I searched over them very carefully to understand why they did not get 70. Once I figured out what to look for I began my search for my album. A lot of work has gone into my preparation, but it's only for me.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2018 3:40PM

All MS69 and MS79 bullion silver eagles first came out of a monster box and then out of a tube. As tubes get re-sold odds of a 70 candidate get slimmer. The big boys buy the sealed boxes, cherry pick the coins for grading and then sell the tubes full of what is leftover.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    I have an album full of 69's and 70's and they are all raw.......will never get graded and I've searched 1,000's upon 1,000's to find my coins. They are out there but not worth the fees to get graded in my opinion.
    When I started I bought four MS69's off ebay that were graded by PCGS. I did this as a reference and to hone my eye to nice examples. I searched over them very carefully to understand why they did not get 70. Once I figured out what to look for I began my search for my album. A lot of work has gone into my preparation, but it's only for me.
    bob :)

That's good stuff right there. Great idea.

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

avoid the graded game altogether with modern bullion. Stack raw ASE as cheap as you can find and win the long game.
    Activate bulk acquisition mode while the spot price allows.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@carew4me said:
    avoid the graded game altogether with modern bullion. Stack raw ASE as cheap as you can find and win the long game.
    Activate bulk acquisition mode while the spot price allows.

spot market allows. that falling knife is hard to catch :'(

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@bronco2078 said:

@Insider2 said:

they absolutely lower their standards :D slabbed bullion is embarrassing

I don't think they lower their standards. From what I've seen/know for a fact:

1.The standards at each TPGS are not as strict as **my personal standards."
    2.Most SE are graded by young folks (with sharp eyesight) using no magnification.
    3. Different graders work on the submissions. Therefore some coins are not seen by some graders.
    4. No thought is given to what these common, modern, issues will be worth in twenty years so...so what.

• Options

@Insider2 said:

@bronco2078 said:

@Insider2 said:

they absolutely lower their standards :D slabbed bullion is embarrassing

I don't think they lower their standards. From what I've seen/know for a fact:

1.The standards at each TPGS are not as strict as **my personal standards."
    2.Most SE are graded by young folks (with sharp eyesight) using no magnification.
    3. Different graders work on the submissions. Therefore some coins are not seen by some graders.
    4. No thought is given to what these common, modern, issues will be worth in twenty years so...so what.

the fact that they are willing to slab bullion at all is whats embarrassing. It cheapens the concept of grading real coins .

• Options
    edited August 13, 2018 11:30AM

I disagree. LOL, what is a real coin? If folks did not both collect/want a particular coin type slabbed they would not send them in.

At one time "modern" coins of any kind were looked down on. Eventually the TPGSs decided to slab them. IMO, this has helped pay the light bill. It has also allowed folks with different collecting interests (and perhaps less money) an opportunity to "join in the game."

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

A dollar for anything, and anything for a dollar. You gotta do what you gotta do to get paid. Like the mobsters say, "nothing personal, it's only business."

thefinn
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2018 2:39PM

@Insider2 said:
    I disagree. LOL, what is a real coin? If folks did not both collect/want a particular coin type slabbed they would not send them in.

At one time "modern" coins of any kind were looked down on. Eventually the TPGSs decided to slab them. IMO, this has helped pay the light bill. It has also allowed folks with different collecting interests (and perhaps less money) an opportunity to "join in the game."

there were some sheep going unsheared apparently, , we can't have that . Now these people with less money are being trained to waste their limited funds on nonsense. Hey you guys , don't spend all your money on coins ! Get that modern dreck slabbed , Its of no benefit at all but our share price is down we need you to pitch in. :D

• Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

If you are going to purchase a green box regardless, and then you go every tube and settle on sending your 'best' say 10 ASE in for grading, and lets say you do well enough to send in your next best 10, and so on.... I don't see a problem with that process.

But if your buying a green box just for the intention of grading/flipping ms70's, that could be an expensive lesson.