Home U.S. Coin Forum

1936 d 3 1/2 buffalo nickel

Is this a 1936 D 3 1/2 leg buffalo nickel?
I'm new to collecting and thought I'd get some valued opinions. I found it in the spare change thing at a gas station that sits next to the register. Swapped it for 2 other nickels in my pocket change

Comments

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope, sorry !!! :(

Timbuk3
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2018 5:51PM

No, but keep looking though.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a good image of the variety. There's only a "peg leg" remaining.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, but good find from a spare change cup.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP’s Buff looks fake. At least that my take.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bigsky406...Welcome aboard... It is not a 3 1/2 leg.... Some good pictures there....Strange to find a buff in a change tray though. Cheers, RickO

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2018 8:11AM

The 1936-D 3 1/2 Leg is a tough coin to find! It is my opinion that the die was pulled shortly after the reworking. I have always thought that it might have been the same employee that caused the missing or diminished leg on other Denver Buffs through out the years.

27-D, 36-D and of course 37-D.

The first image is a 1927-D VF-30 3 1/2 Leg.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

no, sorry

• Thank you all for your input. I appreciate and value all your opinions and knowledge.

'13 Var one, '16-D, '17-D, and '26-D as well, Pete. All but one are Denver Mint products.

It's thought that the MS62 pictured is the only Mint state coin known for that variety-it's unique in MS grade.

Here's images of all six. I forgot to mention the '38-D in the post above, so 7 of 8 are from the Denver Mint.. They are, in order-1913 Var One, 1916-D, 1917-D, 1926-D, 1927-D, 1936-D, 1937-D, and 1938-D.

This last one is a filled die that I have, not an abraded die, so it's not included with the others.

I mean all EIGHT!

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    I mean all EIGHT!

Thanks Ron. I didn't have any documentation out so I winged it. Everyone should have all they need now.

Didn't know about the 38-D.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

The '38-D is kinda marginal. Some collectors of these don't consider that one to be legit. I'll see if I can find a closeup. It's much easier to see when placed side by side with a normal coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file