Home Sports Talk
Options

Mookie Betts hits for the cycle last night

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

The team lost the game, but Mookie made some history.

Congrats Mookie !!

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think we can all agree on this guy , just wondering if they can hold onto him :/

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2018 1:11PM

If one has a HR, triple and double and hits one in the gap in the ninth inning...is it cool to stop at first?

(nothing to do with the noted cycle, just thought it was a strange, albeit rare, event.

• Options

I think it would depend on the inning and score. If my team is down, but the game is within reach, I'd put on the steam...otherwise I hit the brakes at first. The cycle doesn't come around every day, more likely never.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    If one has a HR, triple and double and hits one in the gap in the ninth inning...is it cool to stop at first?

(nothing to do with the noted cycle, just thought it was a strange, albeit rare, event.

I just read the headline.

Did he really do that? If so, that truly sucks, especially because the OP stated that his team lost the game.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

I just read the headline.

Did he really do that? If so, that truly sucks, especially because the OP stated that his team lost the game.

Yikes...no, not at least as far as I know. Tried to put that disclaimer in parenthesis but guess it got missed.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭

From what I understand the sox tried to get him on a long term contract and he did not want to do it.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mookie Betts rules!!

Daniel
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember a couple years ago when Betts and Jackie Bradley and maybe one or two other young
    Red Sox came up I wondered who was going to be the best of them, now I guess the answer is pretty clear!

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

Betts is a beast

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I imagine that Mookie will be in pinstripes before he retires. That’s usually the way it works when your team has more money than Fort Knox.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭

He is setting himself up for a big payoff to the highest bidder for sure.

• Options

I'd be more than amazed if John Henry didn't outbid the high bidder for Mookie.

Recall the movie scene from Count of Monte Cristo, when Jacopo tries to buy the castle and the owner disses him...then walks around to the back of the wagon and spills untold jewels and money out to make the purchase. Hang in Mookie, you may well get two wagon fulls.

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mookie is and should be the sox number one young player that they need to sign a long term contract with. He is a five tool player with the quickest hands in baseball. Very special player!

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

Betts absolutely should be a priority for the Sox however it’s going to take 200 Million to keep him in Boston

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

the cycle was nice, but in a loss it didn't have as much meaning (to me!)