Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Post the lowest percent top grade cards in your collection.....

2»

Comments

• Options
    LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Pop1 of 345 graded = .0029

I think most of the high-end colour-bordered cards will have very low percentages.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two monsters!

I have no issue with man made rarity that we see today but I truly love seeing material like this.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trying again...

There are 23 on the pop report, with the PSA 8 as single highest graded.

1/23=.043 or 4.3%

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    edited March 28, 2020 9:33AM

Here are two of my best cards. With the colored borders and lower print run hard to get into the level of the prior two but certainly worthy of this thread.

Dusty is 1/131 including the PSA/DNA side. 0.00763

I self subbed this JYD right at ten years ago next week. 1/116 including the PSA/DNA side. 0.00862

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:

There are plenty of low pop cards but in many cases that is simply because not a large number have been graded.

>

I agree, though in the case of the ZeeNut DiMaggio, Propagandas Musial and Tharp’s Gehrig I believe the low population is somewhat reflective of actual scarcity and not just lack of copies having been graded. Tharp's was a redemption card; most kids took the free ice cream. ZeeNut’s scarcity depends on the player and year - this particular one from ‘34 can be fairly hard to find. The ‘46 Propagandas set is from Cuba and the ‘cards’ were intended to be glued into an album. That combination contributed to their scarcity of the set.

Just love talking cards; great thread.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@Dpeck100 said:

There are plenty of low pop cards but in many cases that is simply because not a large number have been graded.

>

I agree, though in the case of the ZeeNut DiMaggio, Propagandas Musial and Tharp’s Gehrig I believe the low population is somewhat reflective of actual scarcity and not just lack of copies having been graded. Tharp's was a redemption card; most kids took the free ice cream. ZeeNut’s scarcity depends on the player and year - this particular one from ‘34 can be fairly hard to find. The ‘46 Propagandas set is from Cuba and the ‘cards’ were intended to be glued into an album. That combination contributed to their scarcity of the set.

Just love talking cards; great thread.

Very interesting!

I have a bunch that are low pop just because so few have been graded. As more get subbed that becomes apparent.

The stories behind the cards and why they are hard to find or why they are hard to find in nice condition always fascinates me. Very cool.

• Options
    edited March 28, 2020 12:06PM

@Dpeck100

Here’s where PSA President Joe Orlando ranked the card among the top 250 and the blurb...

Research completed since the book came out has determined that batting pose is ‘34 and throwing pose is ‘35 and PSA now grades them as such.

• Options

@Dpeck100

Here’s where PSA President Joe Orlando ranked the card among the top 250 and the blurb...

Research completed since the book came out has determined that batting pose is ‘34 and throwing pose is ‘35 and PSA now grades them as such.

The DiMaggio sounds like the type of card you will take in any condition. Ten total examples graded is incredibly rare. You must be proud to own a copy!

• Options

@Dpeck100

So there’s around 30 ‘known/graded examples’ between the major companies based on pop reports. A few have bounced back and forth between holders and the SGC Pop reports are not in great shape at the moment.

The bottom ‘tab’ could be redeemed for prizes making those with tabs nearly impossible to find and almost a separate entity (though I did add them into the combined popular calculations above).

I make no assumptions about the raw populations; plenty of collectors of all cards and years do raw stuff , myself included - I like a nice mix of PSA and UltraPro card savers...

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2020 1:12PM

These are ridiculously hard to find in decent condition. There have been 10 of these graded, and this is the highest ever graded, and it is a pop 1.

I sucked at math in school and still do, so forgive me for not knowing the percentage. ;)

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    These are ridiculously hard to find in decent condition. There have been 10 of these graded, and this is the highest ever graded, and it is a pop 1.

I sucked at math in school and still do, so forgive me for not knowing the percentage. ;)

DD what is the story behind this card?

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:

@doubledragon said:

It sat on Ebay for a long time and nobody touched it because it was pretty high priced. So finally I decided that I just couldn't pass up the chance to own it, and I pulled the trigger on it. I love the comic book type design of it, and it's really tough to find in decent condition, so I grabbed it.

• Options
    edited March 29, 2020 5:31AM

@Dpeck100

I’ve always admired your enthusiasm for the hobby and positivity on its outlook. We certainly share that. I think we both believe in the iconography of particular athletes. I call it the Sandlot corollary:

Hero’s get remembered but legends never die.

When it comes to pop culture, athletes who change the trajectory of sports history become legends. The idea that people who don’t even know the sport know the name.

In my opinion, Joe DiMaggio and Hulk Hogan certainly both qualify in that regard. Wrestling and the WWF entered a new stratosphere in the 1980s similarly to how baseball and the New York Yankees entered a new orbit in the 1940s - on the backs of these giants of sports and entertainment.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@Dpeck100 said:

@doubledragon said:

It sat on Ebay for a long time and nobody touched it because it was pretty high priced. So finally I decided that I just couldn't pass up the chance to own it, and I pulled the trigger on it. I love the comic book type design of it, and it's really tough to find in decent condition, so I grabbed it.

Very nice.

I was curious where from and why so hard to find.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

I mean no disrespect to Joe Louis (an icon of sport, himself) or any other collected player in the thread and perhaps I should have PMed, in hindsight.

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:

@doubledragon said:

@Dpeck100 said:

@doubledragon said:

Very nice.

I was curious where from and why so hard to find.

Thanks. Most examples I've seen are pretty banged up with creases or are miscut. It was a gum wrapper type card, so most people just threw them away or didn't take good care of them over the years.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

I mean no disrespect to Joe Louis (an icon of sport, himself) or any other collected player in the thread and perhaps I should have PMed, in hindsight.

You've shown no disrespect. 🖒

• Options
    rhilbelirhilbeli Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

Here are three Paul Hornung cards that qualify

My Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame Registry Set

"The Packers are kinda like your kids. You dont love them because they are good, you love them because they are yours"
  • Options

Damn bringing out the big boy cards!!!

I like it!