Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Do you ever wonder if you blew it when setting an asking price?

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a random coin from a Heritage auction a couple years ago. An interest that never panned out, but I saw THE stopper coin so I bought it figuring it would be easier to start with the difficult coin. A pop 1/0 and 2 grades higher than the next coin. Granted from 1966, but still. It sold for what seemed like a low price given only 300 made on a different planchet type.

Yesterday I got an unsolicited offer via Heritage, after a 10% fee on their part, a 25% profit. I countered back at what amounts to a 45% increase (after fees) and I got a VERY quick acceptance. Kind of makes me think I have no idea what that coin was really worth :D:D:D .

Well, hopefully the new owner is a true collector at heart and we can both be VERY happy with this. On the flip side I'm very busy tomorrow and will now have to make time to mail it to Dallas. Too bad I can't just take it to Philadelphia with me but the instructions are quite clear. Deliver it to Dallas. So off to Dallas it goes and I can add just a pinch more to my shopping budget.

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I always sell too cheaply. As for heritage, they probably had the coin sold at any price so anything was a profit for them.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have bought coins from Heritage like that (offer), sometimes accepted, sometimes countered, occasionally no reply... Once I offered x for a coin and no reply, just to buy it on eBay 1 year later by a substantially lower price.

• Options

Lots of factors at play. Someone could have fallen for the population "top pop" farce and didn't really care too much about price. Or just really wanted the coin. If it's that scarce then price is a moving target anyway.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    No, I always sell too cheaply. As for heritage, they probably had the coin sold at any price so anything was a profit for them.

Well, at the very least they make 10% on this transaction. Basically someone spotted it in the sold archives and hit the 'make an offer' button. No marketing, and I'm sure they will be charging shipping to the buyer. I pay to ship to them and the 10% comes out of what I get.

In any case, I bought it fair and square in an open auction, though who knows, it may have been a rip and I didn't know it. Truly it was an impulse buy and one I've kind of kicked myself for as it was never a serious collecting direction.

Now with little effort I'm obtaining extra funds I can either put to coins, a car, or vet bills. Sadly it is the latter I am most worried about.

I'm getting far more than I would have expected from a coin I don't really want. Heritage made their money on the original auction and now a low fuss/low muss sale. Presumably the buyer is ecstatic. Seriously, that 'item has sold' email came awfully fast.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once had an ebay buy it now sell in 5 minutes after listing. Probably set it a bit low.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2