Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Numismatic crime--unsavory characters

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got this alert from Numismatic crime a few days ago:

Traveling Theft Suspects

The Numismatic Crime Information Center is working with several agencies regarding the suspects pictured below. In all cases 2-3 suspects enter a coin shop and want to buy quantities of gold coins. The suspects use distraction methods to steal coins while in the shop.

Based upon the initial investigation, it is believed that this may be a well organized group.

The suspects have been in Florida, Ohio,VA, South Carolina and Georgia.

Also female suspects:

The Augusta County Sheriff’s Office is attempting to identify 3 females regarding the theft of gold coins.

On July 19th, 2018, at approximately 1200 PM, three females entered B&J Coins in Verona, VA. The females looked at and expressed interest in purchasing several items, including jewelry and gold coins but didn’t have enough money to complete the purchase. It is believed that the three worked together to confuse the staff, through deceit and trickery, which resulted in them leaving the store with over $10,000 worth of merchandise.

The women were described as being of middle eastern or Russian descent. No vehicle information is available. Pictures:

http://www.coinzip.com/articlesPage1.php?i=130

If anyone has information about this theft or knows the identity of any of the pictured women, please contact Cpl. Will of the Augusta County Sheriff’s Office at 540-245-5333, or Crime Stoppers at 800-322-2017.

Also got this one: The following coin has been reported missing/stolen. The coin (1882-CC $20 LIB GOLD TYPE 3 PCGS XF-40) was shipped via USPS from Nevada to California.

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not again.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh boy !!! :s

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This does sound as if a group (maybe two, now that the female group has been posted) has established a general format for stealing from coin/jewelry businesses. These pictures should be given to all employees for posting behind the counter(s). And the modus operandi described in detail. Sure, they can change clothes and alter appearance, but their methods will stay basically the same - success demands repetition. With this many hits already, they are not going to stop. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Their big flaw is that they do not wear gloves and there is trace DNA to be collected where hands touch surfaces. Hoping the police swab surfaces, submit and the sooner the unsub profile is in codis, the sooner suspects are positively Id'd. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've said in another thread 'I don't hate...' BUT here I hate this kind of crumbs in the society :|

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

what a pisser :(

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't heard that expression since I lived in NY (pisser)

• Options

Well that's a darn good lead, you know it's a crew so the seller is a person of interest. More to come. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

I got another alert earlier today from NCIC:

Traveling Suspects

Two male subjects entered a coin shop in Hoover, Alabama earlier today flashing cash and wanting to buy gold for a relatives birthday. The subjects did not have enough money and stated they would be back later in the day.

These subjects are using the same MO that has resulted in major losses over the past sixty days. If these subjects visit your shop contact your local authorities. It is unknown at this time if these two subjects are the same as in previous alerts. However, we believe they are part of the same Roma gang that has been targeting coin shops. If possible get as much information as possible including a vehicle description.

We are waiting to get photos from video surveillance tapes.

Anyone with information contact:

Doug Davis
    817-723-7231
    Doug@numismaticcrimes.org

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe they hit a shop here in Raleigh a month or so ago, same operation and mo. The shop owner who was hit, kept it kinda hush for whatever reason, but I herd through a pretty reliable source. Also, the shop across town here , got a similar call, but told the folks he currently didn't have any. I had alerted him about the raleigh incident prior so he was prepared!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just wish they would get caught and jailed or imprisoned.

• Options

Hope L/E is using facial recognition technology on every image. Latest version can turn a partial face view into full frontal view so the biometrics can work properly. I am rooting for hi-tech to bring it. Peace Roy

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope they catch them soon! They are getting away with far to much!!!!

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options

Another update on similar methods in Texas:

Suspects In Gold Coin Thefts

The following two males are responsible for coin/cash thefts in Pantego, Texas. They may also have been involved in thefts in the Austin, Texas area.

Caution: The subjects are wanting to purchase gold coins and are in possession of a large amt of cash. During the transaction they want to recount the cash several times which results in palming or slight of hand leaving victim short of cash.The subjects also want to place gold coins in plastic bags and then into a small box and some how get away with portion of cash and coins. Both subjects are wanting to buy coins in separate transactions. If one subject does not have enough cash the other one says he has cash in car and they leave but do not return.

Although shop personnel are watching, they are very good at what they do and difficult to detect during the theft.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grip said:
    Haven't heard that expression since I lived in NY (pisser)

im not far from new york and still hear it from time to time

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does any security camera on this planet have clear picture taking capability?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@ms70 said:
    Does any security camera on this planet have clear picture taking capability?

In 2018 there is no excuse to not update imaging capabilities, that would cost a few more bucks? Are we such a lazy society to not do the updates?

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2018 1:29PM

@logger7 said:

In 2018 there is no excuse to not update imaging capabilities, that would cost a few more bucks? Are we such a lazy society to not do the updates?

Too cheap and lacking focus on priorities....

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

Another one from Doug of NCIC:

Traveling Suspects

Illinois-9/10/18

The subjects pictured below were in a coin shop in Centrailia,Il today wanting to buy gold and using same MO as other alerts.

Jacksonville,FL-9/5/18

The following group was in a pawn shop in Jacksonville, FL and took a tray of jewelry. Two of the female subjects are believed to be the same persons in a recent alert who were involved in a theft in Omaha Nebraska.

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

Similar groups of thieves are in Canada as well. Most of them are Romanian. Targeting coin shops and jewelry stores.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
                          Suspects Hit in Louisville,KY

At approximately 1pm today a male and female accompanied by a small child went into Cherokee Coins in Louisville,Ky and committed a theft involving approx $29,000 in gold coins. The suspect asked for silver and then requested to see gold coins. During the transaction the suspects flashed a large amt of cash and wanted the coins put into small bags and then placed in a box. When the total amt was added up the suspects stated they needed to get additional cash and would be back to pick up the coins. At some point, the suspects were able to take the coins. The small child ran around the store as a possible distraction.

"Shop owners should be alert of individuals using the same MO as above"

Doug Davis
    817-723-7231

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope they catch them.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not easy to run a business and this is so un-necassary burden :(

• Options

Gypsies, looks like one of them was identified that the Canadian authorities knew:

Gypsy Suspect Identified

The Numismatic Crime Information Center was contacted by Dealer Jamie Smith regarding a suspect involved in a theft/robbery of a bank in Mt. Pleasant,IA.

Shortly after receiving the email, Lt. Murray with the Mt. Pleasant Police Department reached out to NCIC requesting any information regarding possible gypsy gangs involved in thefts.

NCIC for the past sixty days had been tracking several gypsy groups hitting coin and pawn shops across the country. As victims contacted NCIC alerts were sent out to the numismatic industry. The alerts included the suspects MO, photos and locations as these groups were hitting their targets.

NCIC working with an analyst in the United Kingdom and sharing information with the Jewelers Security Alliance had identified several Roma gang members. NCIC provided Lt. Murray with the appropriate contact numbers to enhance his investigation

Click on link below:

https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Mount-Pleasant-US-Bank-robbed-of-unknown-amount-of-cash-493381301.html

Suspect Identified

The identification of the suspect in the above case was due to the coordinated efforts of the above entities.

Anyone who has come into contact with the above suspect please call:

Doug Davis
    817-723-7231

• Options
    bugbitbugbit Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

I can't imagine the over head and headache that goes into a B&M shop and add to it these creeps trying to rip you off. It's disgusting.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much dat coin dere? Lemme see dat one too! An where you keep da rings like da dimond wonz? Lemme see dem.

:#

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Their big flaw is that they do not wear gloves and there is trace DNA to be collected where hands touch surfaces. Hoping the police swab surfaces, submit and the sooner the unsub profile is in codis, the sooner suspects are positively Id'd. Peace Roy

A lot of other people touched those same surfaces....

• Options

Coin Theft

York County, PA investigators are investigating a coin theft involving the subjects pictured. The subjects are wanting to buy gold coins and using similar MO as described in earlier alerts. Both subjects have heavy European accents.

Anyone with information on these individuals please contact.

Doug Davis
    817-723-7231

• Options
    coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2018 1:05PM

Living in Canada we do not have the luxury of using firearms for self defense. If any of these criminals approaches you in the USA with weapon in attempt to harm/rob you, please dispatch of them and then contact
    Doug Davis
    817-723-7231

all around collector of many fine things

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2018 1:14PM

These people are pro con artists. In the example above they even used the kid.

Keep control of your inventory. Limit what you show them / let them handle. Be alert to any screwball requests and ignore them if this compromises security.

Don’t hand over the material to their control until it’s paid for.

If at a show don’t let someone open your case taking out multiple items. Just ask “which one can I show you first?” Then after showing ask “any interest?” I have had instances somebody comes up to my cases at a show tries open one like to look that’s locked. My cases at show aren’t a junk box for anybody browse thru.

Screwballs and thieves will make unusual requests. I have no use for them at my table.

If working with more than one item to negotiate a transaction be extra careful. Many will try use this as method to rip you / steal from you. If necessary make a tally sheet; take your time.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    These people are pro con artists. In the example above they even used the kid.

Keep control of your inventory. Limit what you show them / let them handle. Be alert to any screwball requests and ignore them if this compromises security.

Don’t hand over the material to their control until it’s paid for.

If at a show don’t let someone open your case taking out multiple items. Just ask “which one can I show you first?” Then after showing ask “any interest?” I have had instances somebody comes up to my cases at a show tries open one like to look that’s locked. My cases at show aren’t a junk box for anybody browse thru.

Screwballs and thieves will make unusual requests. I have no use for them at my table.

If working with more than one item to negotiate a transaction be extra careful. Many will try use this as method to rip you / steal from you. If necessary make a tally sheet; take your time.

Good advice :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

This reminds me of the collectibles dealer I volunteered for, sum kids broke and stoal $2,000 worth in dollar coins. I hope these criminals are found and the coins returned to the dealer safely, if only people saved up for cool coins rather than stealing them.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

, if only people saved up for cool coins rather than stealing them.

Not just cool coins. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slight of hand=sight of gun=run run run.

The Gypsies are in town. I wonder where their horse and buggy's are parked? Sad.

Same MO now as in the past.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's hope they all get caught. For those Eastern Europeans; welcome them to the USA and a nice cell at Fort Leavenworth!

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    Gypsies, looks like one of them was identified that the Canadian authorities knew:

Gypsy Suspect Identified

The Numismatic Crime Information Center was contacted by Dealer Jamie Smith regarding a suspect involved in a theft/robbery of a bank in Mt. Pleasant,IA.

Shortly after receiving the email, Lt. Murray with the Mt. Pleasant Police Department reached out to NCIC requesting any information regarding possible gypsy gangs involved in thefts.

NCIC for the past sixty days had been tracking several gypsy groups hitting coin and pawn shops across the country. As victims contacted NCIC alerts were sent out to the numismatic industry. The alerts included the suspects MO, photos and locations as these groups were hitting their targets.

NCIC working with an analyst in the United Kingdom and sharing information with the Jewelers Security Alliance had identified several Roma gang members. NCIC provided Lt. Murray with the appropriate contact numbers to enhance his investigation

Click on link below:

https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Mount-Pleasant-US-Bank-robbed-of-unknown-amount-of-cash-493381301.html

Suspect Identified

The identification of the suspect in the above case was due to the coordinated efforts of the above entities.

Anyone who has come into contact with the above suspect please call:

Doug Davis
    817-723-7231

Here is an article with better photos of the perps. I actually heard about this one when visiting their coin shop which I frequent monthly. The photos are from the coin shop.

https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Police-investigating-bank-robbery-in-Mount-Pleasant-493319611.html

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any update ? :'(

Timbuk3
  • Options

Looks like the gypsies keep trying to steal:

Persons of Interest

The following 2 subjects were in a coin shop in Spokane, Washington on 10/12/18 attempting to buy gold coins. The subjects used the same MO as in previous alerts but no coins were stolen.

MO

Looking to buy gold coins for father or mothers birthday. usually have large flash roll of cash, wants coins put into separate bags or small boxes,pays for a portion or leaves deposit and will come back later, once they have left coins have been taken. Usually working in pairs and in some cases have small child with them.

SPOKANE WASHINGTON

Colorado

The subject pictured below was in Colorado recently. Subject had large amt of cash wanting to buy coins.

Anyone with information on these subjects contact:

Doug Davis
    817-723-7231

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

In the first case right above, since no coins were taken, is it still a crime?
    I assumed their attempt was foiled by an alerted staff and they dodge outta town right away perhaps?

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2018 12:28PM

@logger7 said:
    Another update on similar methods in Texas:

Suspects In Gold Coin Thefts

The following two males are responsible for coin/cash thefts in Pantego, Texas. They may also have been involved in thefts in the Austin, Texas area.

Caution: The subjects are wanting to purchase gold coins and are in possession of a large amt of cash. During the transaction they want to recount the cash several times which results in palming or slight of hand leaving victim short of cash.The subjects also want to place gold coins in plastic bags and then into a small box and some how get away with portion of cash and coins. Both subjects are wanting to buy coins in separate transactions. If one subject does not have enough cash the other one says he has cash in car and they leave but do not return.

Although shop personnel are watching, they are very good at what they do and difficult to detect during the theft.

These are the same people who hit my friend's coin shop in Round Rock, TX (north of Austin). After looking at gold coins, they decided to purchase a 1 oz Kruggerand with small rim ding,1943 dated Mexico gold 50 pesos and 1989 1/4 oz. American gold Eagle all ungraded. They paid cash, and the shop owner counted it, then they asked to count it again. After they left, the shop owner counted it again and found that $1600 in $100-dollar bills was missing. He reviewed the video and it showed one of them using some sleight of hand while counting and putting the bills in his pocket. Both suspects had foreign accents, but the owner could not determine from where.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2018 5:19AM

Suspect Photos

The subjects pictured below entered a coin shop in in Aiken,South Carolina on Tuesday Oct 23,2018 requesting to look at gold coins and flashing a large amount of cash. The subjects requested coins to be put in baggies and then placed in a box. During the transaction the subjects were able to leave with several thousand dollars in coins.

Suspect Photos

The subjects pictured below entered coin shops in Fort Worth,Texas during the week of Oct 22-27,2018 requesting to look at gold coins and flashing a large amount of cash. The MO is the same in offenses which has resulted in thousands of dollars in losses.

Doug Davis
    817-723-7231

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:

Unless they're the only ones that have ever touched those slabs, it would be near impossible to make a codis link. If only the suspect and the shop owners DNA, then it's doable.... the only other scenario is if the perpetrators have a very rare form of a gene that's tested. I hope they catch the guys...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the 1970's I owned a hardware store in Colorado. Small town. Every year or so the gypsies would come through but before they got there the Sheriff would be warned by a neighboring Sheriff. Our Sheriff would come through knocking doors and telling us they are on their way. Great chance to just go fishing. Would lock up and leave for the day. Never got hit. Great communication between merchants and police.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

About a month ago,

Had similar occurrence here at my shop, middle eastern man and woman came in wanting to look at gold coins, actually didn't have any at the time, so I said, don't have any. The guy possibly thinking I was just blowing him off, pulled out a large amount of cash in a roll, said, were seriously interested in acquiring gold. I repeated don't have any which I didn't . they left, but I noticed that instead of going back down and getting into a car in the parking lot. (I am in a 2 story building). They began walking out towards the road and walked to the end of the property and along came a van stopped in the road, and they jumped in the van and left. I have no doubt that it was going to be one of the same type of deals as above.

jim

• Options

Suspects Identified

The Numismatic Crime Information Center in collaboration with our European counterparts have identified the following suspects involved in coin thefts across the country.

NCIC has been tracking these subjects along with others for the past 90 days. Offenses have occurred in Iowa, Wyoming, Aiken South Carolina, Montana, and Colorado.

If you have been a victim or have come into contact with these subjects we can provide information to the investigating law enforcement agency.

Please contact:

Doug Davis
    817-723-7231

• Options

Traveling Suspect

The suspects pictured were in Grants Pass Oregon yesterday mid-morning and responsible for stealing $7,000 in gold coins. At approximately 4pm the same suspects were in a shop in Redding California approximately 200 miles away. The owner contacted NCIC while the suspects were in the shop. Police were dispatched but the suspects left before police arrived. However,thanks to the owner he was able to get a license plate and description of vehicle the suspects were driving. Blue Pacifica van with California plates. The suspect in the brown hat was accompanied by a younger male subject.

These are the same suspects involved in several offenses across the country. The subject in the hat may have facial hair or not.

"The suspects are highly mobile and have traveled from midwest to western states"in a short period of time. Make sure all employees are aware of these subjects and their MO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file