Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

British Kings "Bullet Book," Charles II 1660 - 1685

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 6, 2018 10:00AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

1663 Charles II Shilling

1679 Charles II Guinea

• Charles II was the son of Charles I. He was invited to become of the King of England soon after Cromwell’s death.

• Unlike his father, Charles chose not cause trouble with Parliament. His was an easy going reign during which he enjoyed the fruits of his office.

• The Great Fire of London raged from September 2 to early on the 6th. It destroyed two-thirds of the city, all on the north side of the River Themes.

• Architect Christopher Wren and surveyor and philosopher, Robert Hooke supervised the rebuilding which was considerably completed in a remarkable ten year timeframe. Although not all of their visions came to completion, many of them did. Streets were widened, building were made of stone, not timber and building codes were strictly enforced. Access to the River Themes was greatly increased, and the storage of combustible goods in warehouses along the river was modified to reduce the dangers from first damage.

• Christopher Wren’s crowning achievement, St. Paul’s Cathedral, was re-built on is former site. Wren is buried in St. Paul’s Cathedral under a modest stone with a famous epitaph, “Reader, if you seek his memorial—look around you.”

• Charles had many affairs and fathered at least 16 illegitimate children. He lavished gifts and titles on his lady friends. Despite that his relationship with his wife was kind and affectionate. Ironically Charles and the queen, Catherine, did not have any children, and the king died without leaving an heir. At his death, the crown passed to his brother, James.

• A story, that may have been folklore, relates to how the Massachusetts Oak coinage got its name. During a conversation with Sir Thomas Temple, Charles asked him about the rogue Massachusetts silver coinage which violated the Royal Prerogative, which stated that only the king could issue or authorize the coining of money. Temple pulled out an example of the Oak Tree and reminded the king about an incident during the English Civil War. At one point the king had climbed an oak tree and hidden in its branches to avoid capture by the rebel army. Temple told Charles that the tree which an oak which had been issued in his honor. The king laughed and commented that the Massachusetts colonists were a “group of good dogs” and let the matter slide.

"1652" Massachusetts Oak Tree Shilling, circa 1660 - 1667

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2018 10:03AM

The Great Fire of London occurred in 1666. Charles II and his brother James directed and helped in firefighting efforts and generally acquitted themselves very well during this episode.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Great Fire of London also broke the cycle of the plague in the city.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2023 6:47PM

"My tail's for sale. Half-a-crown will lay me down!"

Great Britain Charles II half crown 1663
    Silver, 33mm, 14.30gm
    Obverse: Charles II facing right, CAROLUS II DEI GRATIA
    Reverse: Shields of England, Scotland, France, Ireland, MAG•BR•FRA•ET•HIB•REX 1663

The line is from Kathleen Winsor's infamous 1944 historical novel Forever Amber, which was set
    in England during the Restoration period of King Charles II, approximately 1660-1670.

More about Forever Amber and King Charles II is on my website under "Coin Stories".

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coinage is now taking on a very modern look in terms of artistry and method of manufacture.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    WashingtonianaWashingtoniana Posts: 278 ✭✭✭

interesting post and nice coins as usual

• Options
    sarikanairsarikanair Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

The coin looks stunning! Thanks for sharing such valuable information and interesting stories about Charles II and Christopher Wren.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Charles II and his younger brother James were notorious womanizers - but Charles remarked once that James's mistresses must have been proscribed as a penance because they were so ugly.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2018 6:17AM

@291fifth said:
    The coinage is now taking on a very modern look in terms of artistry and method of manufacture.

Resistance to milled coinage, largely from the Tower of London mint workers who were concerned about keeping their jobs, was finally overcome at this time in England.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice 1663 Shilling! Numismatically significant date as it spelled the end of British hammered coinage. Prime number, too.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread as always. :) Awesome coins!

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

I don't think I own anything of Charles II.

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

This particular piece is a 4 Merk, or for some reason when it was issued in 1681, this coin was referred to as a Dollar, even though that latter was never used in common vernacular. This coin is from the second coinage and is S-5618, or SC24M-075 in Coincraft. This particular piece is quite rare in nicer grades. The value of this coin was raised to 56/- from the old 4 Merk standard of 53/4 by proclamation in 1681.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2018 5:33PM

The merk as pictured above was the most common silver Scottish coin from the reign of Charles II that circulated in Scotland. It was the equivalent of 13/4 or Thirteen Shillings, Four Pence and was the last vestige of the Merk reckoning used in Scotland for hundreds of years. Curiously the term "Quarter Dollar" was not used contemporaneously, but only as a reference much later on, so in effect it is not really accurate in describing these coins. This coin is S-5620 in Seaby and SC-21M-135 in Coincraft.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since we don't have any examples posted from 1662, here's my crown ESC-15 / S-3350.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chaz 2.0 1679 half crown. Currently my only one from him.