Options
1798 S-161 Large Cent: You vs PCGS - UPDATED
Aotearoa
Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
Grade?


Smitten with DBLCs.
0
Comments
G6
EAC 6024
Is this coin straight graded or did it get a details grade?
Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire
vg10
All will be revealed in good time.
Smitten with DBLCs.
I'll guess VG-8 details grade. The fields look a little rough so "Corroded". In any event it's a very neat coin.
Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire
very good details, scratches a little too big, nice coin
VG 8, straight grade , going by iPhone photos
VG details - env. Damage
Still a nice coin though.
Absolutely no idea! It could be in a F-12 Detail to G-6. Old, low-grade coins are often given a break for details.
MY GUESS: VG-8.
I'll play..... F12
it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'
CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
Vg08
rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
Looks FN12 to me and I'll bet PCGS states FN15.
Looks VG-8 to me
I'm going with 6 and I like that coin. WTG!
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working" Pablo Picasso
Thanks everyone. I’m glad I’m not the only one that didn’t see the cleaning. Actually, I’m very pleased with this purchase. The details label means nothing to me but because it’s there, the sale price was very reasonable (Heritage auction).
FWIW, I’d grade it VG8 - based on the photo (coin still winging its way to this side of the world).
Smitten with DBLCs.
I like it alot! I have been detecting for 30 years and condition doesn't spoil the excitement of digging up a 200+ year old coin or a 300+ year old pewter spoon. Keep doing what you are doing. Peace Roy
BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken oih82w8, DCW
Too late for the GTG... but a very nice old cent...I would be real happy with that one... Cheers, RickO
Cool variety and one of my favorite dates. I even have this variety in a PCGS F15 holder.
Congrats on your find.
EAC 6024
Given that there is a counterfeit S-161 running around (which this does not appear to be -- the fake is usually a much higher grade), you should be very happy with this nice old copper.