Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Vintage Breaks - HUGE pull at the National - 1955 BOWMAN CELLO PACK - MANTLE & BANKS - **Graded!

2»

Comments

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poor Rico is probably deaf in his right ear now.

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    for a minute there i thought someone was going to have to shoot vince vaughn with a tranquilizer dart

One of the funniest comments I have read on here in quite some time!

• Options
    davidlisadavidlisa Posts: 62 ✭✭

Didn't Rosen find a hoard of 1954 and 1955 Bowman baseball and football boxes in the eighties ?

• Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

@davidlisa said:
    Didn't Rosen find a hoard of 1954 and 1955 Bowman baseball and football boxes in the eighties ?

Yes...believe there were some Topps in there too but the bulk was Bowman. Some so bug infested they were thrown out.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2018 10:20AM

@davidlisa said:

@Ripken said:

@davidlisa said:

Yes...believe there were some Topps in there too but the bulk was Bowman. Some so bug infested they were thrown out.

The Bowman baseball were wax packs I believe, not cello's. There was only 1 PSA graded cello before they opened it. Not sure if GAI ever holdered any and/or how many reside in private until a later date.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭

i read an article on yahooo the guy thought it would grade a 3?

• Options

@lawyer05 said:

He owns a PSA 3 currently, so he will be selling the card is what the article was trying to state, albeit jumbled a bit. xD

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mintacular said:
    On a 71 that top border edge chipping means it's no higher than a 7, yet this got a 9?

I noticed that as well

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thank the guys for posting on this.

I was not in the area when this went down - by the time I got to the booth - everyone had taken their Valium and the dust had totally settled.

I went to Wells Fargo bank today to make a deposit and one to the finance guys told me about the card - so it was big news!

Mike
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

What an incredible pull! I like the concept of having a stake in opening a pricey pack without buying the whole thing.

Without a better scan, it is tough to tell if the PSA 9 Mantle's top edge has chipping or a rough cut. I would hope it isn't chipping, because PSA is usually quite strict with that condition flaw.

The administration and promotion of the break leaves a lot to be desired. I know if I had paid $500 for a slot in the break, I would hope that only one competent person would be allowed to handle the pack once it was cracked from the PSA case and that only that one person would hold the cards from start to finish. Seeing the cello pack and individual cards passed around in a cavalier fashion made me question why the company hadn't set ground rules for such an expensive pack to prevent some random person who happened to be in the vicinity from handling and possibly damaging the cards.

The carnival barker shouting out possible PSA grades was strange too. If it was my card, I wouldn't want anyone speculating on the grade in public after a half glance.

-Nathanael

• Options

@secretstash said:

@lawyer05 said:

He owns a PSA 3 currently, so he will be selling the card is what the article was trying to state, albeit jumbled a bit. xD

thank you

• Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

@Frozencaribou said:
    What an incredible pull! I like the concept of having a stake in opening a pricey pack without buying the whole thing.

Without a better scan, it is tough to tell if the PSA 9 Mantle's top edge has chipping or a rough cut. I would hope it isn't chipping, because PSA is usually quite strict with that condition flaw.

The administration and promotion of the break leaves a lot to be desired. I know if I had paid $500 for a slot in the break, I would hope that only one competent person would be allowed to handle the pack once it was cracked from the PSA case and that only that one person would hold the cards from start to finish. Seeing the cello pack and individual cards passed around in a cavalier fashion made me question why the company hadn't set ground rules for such an expensive pack to prevent some random person who happened to be in the vicinity from handling and possibly damaging the cards.

The carnival barker shouting out possible PSA grades was strange too. If it was my card, I wouldn't want anyone speculating on the grade in public after a half glance.

-Nathanael

I could not agree with you more. I was cringing when that pack was being passed around. I mean, it was cool for the person watching at home to get a glimpse, but to have people who aren't even "in the hobby" touching - man what a disaster that could have been.

The "carnival barker" (great nickname) was annoying too. I remember how much I disliked him when he broke the 86 Fleer hoops wax earlier this spring. In addition to everyone at the table having touched the pack, other things I thought were really unprofessional:

-The dude in the black golf shirt pounding the table. Many, many times. The entire table was shaking. That made me nervous.
    -The guy handling the break at the table did a good job putting the cards into the CardSavers. Then he turned it over to the Carnival Barker to put in the Mantle. Look specifically at the 28:27 mark. He starts moving/turning the Saver before its in the sleeve. That guy is way too much for me.
    -I understand the Carnival Barker passing it to the guy running the camera to show people at home a close up. However, that guy passes it to the bald guy doing radio? For what purpose? Notice the way the card is then set back down on the table at the 29:33 mark.

These guys just seem way too green to be doing these types of breaks.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    I thank the guys for posting on this.

I was not in the area when this went down - by the time I got to the booth - everyone had taken their Valium and the dust had totally settled.

I went to Wells Fargo bank today to make a deposit and one to the finance guys told me about the card - so it was big news!

But Mike if you knew that he was going to pull a Mantle, you surely would have been there earlier. ;)

• Options
    Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

“Carnival Barker”. Lolollllll

• Options

Vintage Breaks announced last night on the PSA Show that the entire Cello Pack will be graded by PSA and each card will be encapsulated with the same flip designation as the Mantle. They estimated there is potential for a handful of 9's and 10's possible. Pretty cool that the story goes on.

• Options

the entire pack ? all 20 spots ?what if the person does not want to pay for the grading

• Options

@lawyer05 said:
    the entire pack ? all 20 spots ?what if the person does not want to pay for the grading

Vintage Breaks is paying for all of them they said.

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 485 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought one slot for a 75 cello pack and hit this. Tough to gauge condition with this picture, however the commentary And follownup discussion with them leads me to believe it is 8-9

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

^ Dan, that is freakin cool. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the slot?

Andy

Andy

• Options

Sure man $22.50

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice hit on the Yount! I think you are likely looking at an 8 with an outside chance at a 9.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Thanks Tim! I agree centering is off a bit on both sides. Can’t really tell if chipping on the bottom border or not. That may be the determining factor. Kind of looks like this one I l pulled from a pack about 15 years ago, it might be a bit better centered, however a very tiny bit of chipping in the brown border. It has been reviewed to no avail.This one most recently is a different experience than what I am used to!

• Options

Congratulations Dan!

Mike
  • Options

IMO the Mantle got at least a 1 grade bump for the hype and PR. If that same card is sent in randomly for grading no way it gets a 9 with top/bottom centering that off.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ScottJayhawk said:
    IMO the Mantle got at least a 1 grade bump for the hype and PR. If that same card is sent in randomly for grading no way it gets a 9 with top/bottom centering that off.

Displayed horizontally, the top/bottom centering is near perfect for that set. The right/left is somewhat distracting, but with such wide borders is likely within minimal 9 parameters (I'm too lazy to measure).

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not mine but shared by Joe on Twitter.

• Options

Centered just looks so much better left to right in this issue. I have no idea why this is a 7

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2018 8:44AM

@LarkinCollector said:

@ScottJayhawk said:

Displayed horizontally, the top/bottom centering is near perfect for that set. The right/left is somewhat distracting, but with such wide borders is likely within minimal 9 parameters (I'm too lazy to measure).

You’re exactly right, it is right around 60/40 or perhaps slightly better. That’s one of the weaknesses of having a strict numerical centering cutoff for a given grade, the more border space there is, the worse 60/40 will look.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dan89 said:
    Centered just looks so much better left to right in this issue. I have no idea why this is a 7

Upper right corner and lower left corner.

KC

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe - thank you for the comments and clarity. I think one thing that would help the hobby and collectors is to have some type of symposium at the National or online showing several different versions and grades of the same card(s), and explain how cards that look almost identical have different grades. I think if the public was educated more to the specific nuances of why cards get the grades they do it would benefit both the collector and PSA. I am sure all of us have cards in a PSA 8 holder that we think deserves an 8.5/9 grade, and none of us have cards in PSA 9 holders that we think should be 8/8.5’s ;)

Thank you in advance for your time.

KC

• Options

@KendallCat said:
    Joe - thank you for the comments and clarity. I think one thing that would help the hobby and collectors is to have some type of symposium at the National or online showing several different versions and grades of the same card(s), and explain how cards that look almost identical have different grades. I think if the public was educated more to the specific nuances of why cards get the grades they do it would benefit both the collector and PSA. I am sure all of us have cards in a PSA 8 holder that we think deserves an 8.5/9 grade, and none of us have cards in PSA 9 holders that we think should be 8/8.5’s ;)

Thank you in advance for your time.

KC

I am sure you mean an in person version of this with specifics, but they do actually have a 1952 topps Mantle on PSA website showing from grades 1 to 10. Not sure this this does the trick but I found it helpful a while back to read and compare visually. https://www.psacard.com/resources/gradingstandards/#cards

• Options

@KendallCat said:

I am sure all of us have cards in a PSA 8 holder that we think deserves an 8.5/9 grade, and none of us have cards in PSA 9 holders that we think should be 8/8.5’s ;)
    >

KC

Well, none that we subbed. I have had plenty of 9s I bought that I think should be in 8 holders.

• Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

In that response we learned someone has a $500 psa 5 common. Ouch.

I’m ok with it as a 9 btw

• Options

I am sure all of us have cards in a PSA 8 holder that we think deserves an 8.5/9 grade, and none of us have cards in PSA 9 holders that we think should be 8/8.5’s ;)

That's actually kind of funny Keith.

Guys gets card in 9 holder from PSA and calls up demanding it be in an 8? Now that's for a sitcom.

Mike
  • Options
    BriYo79BriYo79 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

Careful criticizing the grade. Looks like a few members had their comments deleted and their accounts banned. Lol

• Options

I saw the Mantle in person today at the White Plains show. It is certainly nice and crisp!

• Options
    sinoth23sinoth23 Posts: 152 ✭✭

Agreed, saw it on Friday. Nice example of that card.